Author Topic: Cease & Desist Letter  (Read 176897 times)

Xshu

• Iokan (+1)
  • Let there be justice, even if it kills the world.
    • View Profile
Re: Cease & Desist Letter
« Reply #405 on: May 13, 2009, 06:02:35 pm »
Is anyone else getting a sick sort of entertainment just watching this whole thing unfold? I dare say this might be more fun that playing the game. XD

Dark3mx

• Guardian (+100)
  • Those wings... I want them too.
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: May 13, 2009, 06:30:44 pm »
http://forums.g4tv.com/showthread.php?t=123345 has had over 263 views in under 24 hours.

Reshaper256

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: May 13, 2009, 07:21:44 pm »
Just want to throw in my two cents...

Have you guys seriously put any consideration into just offering up the hack to Square-Enix on a silver platter?  What I mean is, why not put some serious effort into making it clear to them that they have a lot more to gain by working with you than against you?  There are two scenarios I can see playing out: one is good for no one, and the other is good for everybody.

The likely scenario is that SE will refuse to allow the game to be released in any form.  SE takes a lot of flack in PR, the Chrono fan base is weakened, the ROM hacking community takes a blow, and 5 years of hard work go down the toilet.  Not only that, but there's not any guarantee that can be offered that the game won't find it's way to the internet ANYWAY, maybe months or years down the road, especially since beta-testing had begun and the game was so near to completion.  If the game is leaked down the road, SE sues, and the team is up a crap creek.  Honestly I can't see where anyone is benefited from this scenario, in any form.

On the other hand, there's the more unlikely scenario which benefits just about everybody.  GIVE the damn game to Square-Enix.  I realize that the problem with this is getting SE to agree to it, but hear me out -- what I'm trying to do here is to get you guys to make a strong, concerted argument for this.  They may not realize that you'd even be willing to do such a thing; it may be far out of their world-view to think of someone putting so much hard work into something for no profit.  Offer it to them for free, making it clear that you're giving them five years of hard work for FREE, on a SILVER PLATTER.  Explain that you'll let them have it with no strings attached, all the rights to everything, signed over in their name.  They could then thoroughly test it themselves for bugs and story continuity, and release it on the Wii Virtual Console, easily.

IMAGINE how much money they would make off the thing.  They could charge $30 a download, people would still buy it.

- Square-Enix gets a huge PR boost and huge profits for absolutely NO WORK. 
- SE appears downright "with it" for what is essentially taking someone else's hard work for a huge profit.
- The Chrono fan base is revived.  The world gets to see an amazing game, finally getting a true Chrono sequel. 
- The ROM-hacking community thrives off of this awesome news, drawing in new blood from all directions. 

It sets a new precedent for how corporations deal with ROM-hacks... let us hack, and steal the best ones from us for a profit!

I do realize its a true long shot, but if some actual communication can be established, I believe this truly is an amazing end to shoot for.  This is a corporation - they don't really care about setting an example by striking down illegal tampering with video games... they care about money they might be losing.  Offer them a deal they can't refuse, if all they're out for is money. :P
« Last Edit: May 13, 2009, 07:23:44 pm by Reshaper256 »

Agent 12

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: May 13, 2009, 07:35:29 pm »
Reshaper,

We made it very clear in our replies that SE could have the rom hack, for absolutely nothing in return.  And that it would be beneficial for everyone involved if we worked together.

--JP

Reshaper256

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: May 13, 2009, 07:39:06 pm »
Glad to hear it.  I'm just wanting you to keep beating that drum, make sure they understand.

Also, I'd like to express that I'm truly sorry to hear this happened to you guys.

ZealKnight

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Loyal Knight of the Kingdom of Zeal
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: May 13, 2009, 08:49:14 pm »
Um... TeaFlower could you change your post a little?

Many people have stated that they will no longer buy new Square Enix games because of this move. This news is EVERYWHERE. The host site, Reddit, Digg, other major blogs...

This HAS to get out to the general public.

That mainly. One you shouldn't say it has to get out. Sounds like an order, and we don't want to sound aggressive. Next its quite obvious that you joined just for that post, looks like spaming a site. And the boycott just sounds stupid since one web community can't do so much. Finally we already have that it has been on tons of different sites, so thats just a little dumb to do again mainly because it's obvious you joined for that post.

So if anyone is going to post on that thread, please make sure you already have an account there and that you don't just say something that has already been said.

RySenkari

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: May 13, 2009, 10:37:41 pm »
BREAKING NEWS: God Issues Cease-And-Desist Orders To Dante, John Milton

The Lord today issued a cease and desist order to Dante Aligheri and John Milton, authors who were working on highly-anticipated derivative works based on The Bible. Dante's work, "The Divine Comedy", is centered around the author's self-insert character exploring Hell alongside popular Roman author Virgil. The work was said to span three separate books and was to use God's original characters, such as Satan, in brand new ways in order to expand the mythology of Hell and related locations in an entirely new way. Milton's "Paradise Lost" was said to be a fanwork detailing events taking place before the book of Genesis, explaining the fall of The Bible's antagonist Satan and his subsequent influence on humans on Earth. Both works were said to be near completion, but after the cease-and-desist letter, in which God threatened to "smite your hometowns if these works are ever released in any form", both Dante and John Milton agreed to cease all further work on the projects, and all copies of "The Divine Comedy" and "Paradise Lost" are said to have been "destroyed". Fans of The Bible who have been looking forward to both books expressed disappointment at the news. The Lord could not be reached for comment at this time.

Daniel Krispin

« Reply #412 on: May 13, 2009, 10:43:35 pm »
Now that is what I call a classic post.

ZealKnight

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Loyal Knight of the Kingdom of Zeal
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: May 13, 2009, 10:48:45 pm »
That seemed unnecessary.

KebreI

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • A true man never dies, even when he's killed
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: May 13, 2009, 11:27:12 pm »
It was unnecessary, but funny all the same  :lol:

KillaGouge

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: May 13, 2009, 11:45:51 pm »

Daniel Krispin

« Reply #416 on: May 13, 2009, 11:48:19 pm »
That seemed unnecessary.

Parody is always necessary.

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: May 13, 2009, 11:50:57 pm »
BREAKING NEWS: God Issues Cease-And-Desist Orders To Dante, John Milton

I don't want to quote the whole thing cause it's right there above this but that's great!

Most people with less than fifteen posts aren't as articulate or well-versed in satire. It's good to have some light-hearted humor around these times. You know we could use some. Let this whole month be known as 'The Great Chrono Depression".

Mikisho

• Guardian (+100)
  • The Future Refused to Change. We Said Screw You.
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: May 14, 2009, 12:04:55 am »
Heh, that was funny.  Also, I resent that little bit about under 15 post people.  I'm very articulate.  Granted I'm not an under 15 post person anymore >_> BUT I'M STILL ARTICULATE!!!  Now on another note that is also completely off topic, does everyone like my new profile pic and Sig? xD

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: May 14, 2009, 12:17:03 am »
Most =/= All