Author Topic: Cease & Desist Letter  (Read 176968 times)

wildthing2022000

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
Re: Cease & Desist Letter
« Reply #375 on: May 12, 2009, 09:11:41 pm »
Just looking & the G4 forums do allow for suggestions for AOTS so they could do something there if they're interested.
The url for the suggestion forum - http://forums.g4tv.com/forumdisplay.php?f=79

Agent 12

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: May 12, 2009, 09:18:44 pm »
If someone does go and make a suggestion make sure you point towards the recent news articles:

Currently top 10 on digg.com
Was #1 on reddit-Gaming for ~24 hours
On Kotako

etc.  You can also tell them that I'm willing to answer any questions they have.  Contact information is crimsonechoes[at]gmail[dot]com

--JP

Enigma Outlaw

• Earthbound (+15)
  • Guru of Enigma
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: May 12, 2009, 09:25:33 pm »
Great minds must think alike because I was actually thinking about AOTS last night at about 4 AM. Of course at that time of day I was pretty much out of steam and not ready to type up something that may have been long winded. IF someone goes that route please keep us updated. I used to get G4 on Comcast Cable in VA but I recently moved back to KY to help my parents who are getting older and needless to say everything my old man owns is about 15-25 years out of date :lol:

Dark3mx

• Guardian (+100)
  • Those wings... I want them too.
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: May 12, 2009, 09:45:00 pm »

Dialga_Palkia

• Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: May 12, 2009, 09:46:31 pm »
we could.........always make a movie out of crimson echoes you know. Would that work? It would work like Chrono Trigger Unglued, only a fan comic....................however do I put it.

Agent 12

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: May 12, 2009, 09:50:30 pm »
http://forums.g4tv.com/showthread.php?p=2145071#post2145071 for the topic

Can you put the second trailer that is on crimsonechoes.com, and mention that I'd be willing to answer any questions they might have/want.

--JP

Dark3mx

• Guardian (+100)
  • Those wings... I want them too.
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: May 12, 2009, 09:52:27 pm »
http://forums.g4tv.com/showthread.php?p=2145071#post2145071 for the topic

Can you put the second trailer that is on crimsonechoes.com, and mention that I'd be willing to answer any questions they might have/want.

--JP

my bad

ravenl0rd

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: May 13, 2009, 01:09:24 am »
All this makes me want to start one of those petition things, but they never really accomplish anything.  I still don't understand how video game companies can be so callous towards their fans.  Square needs to get with the times here. 

One more thing that everyone has failed to mention that might lean towards Square officially recognizing and selling this game.  Final Fantasy IV: The After Years is being released on WiiWare here in a month.  That game looks like nothing more than a rom hack of the original game.  If I ran Square, here is what I would do.  I would give the creators of this hack a small budget to polish the game.  Once the game is finished to Square's liking, WiiWare, PSN and XBOX Live that badboy.  That would make a hell of a lot more than a frivolous lawsuit.  Hell, if they don't want to consider it cannon, put a disclaimer before it.  That would be one hell of good PR move.  Talk about showing a fanbase that you care.  Odds of that happening are very, very slight, but that would be great.

Hopefully, hopefully Square opens a line of communication at least.

KebreI

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • A true man never dies, even when he's killed
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: May 13, 2009, 01:26:09 am »
I think that would be the best possible solution out of this mess, but it so incredibly unlike that I kinda laughed. Still agent12 try just seeing if they want it.

ravenl0rd

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: May 13, 2009, 01:27:58 am »
As I said, extremely unlikely that would happen, but it would be the best thing for all parties involved. 

lockgar

• Architect of Kajar
  • Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: May 13, 2009, 02:24:02 am »
I just heard the news from joystiq.com, and all I can say is SON OF A B!TCH!!!!!

I was really looking forward to this too. How far long where you guys anyway? 98%!?!?!?!?

Are you really sure everything has to be taken down?
« Last Edit: May 13, 2009, 03:02:47 am by lockgar »

boogieii

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: May 13, 2009, 03:42:32 am »
First post here.

I think it was smart to comply with the cease and desist 24 hours ago.

However that was before this story hit the "social internet" and blew up.  Reddit, Digg, Slashdot, Kotaku, Joystiq and probably regurgitated on hundreds of blogs?  I bet a million eyeballs have seen and heard this and I think the creators or some anonymous torrent seeder needs to take advantage of this.

I'm sure Square Enix thought this was a good idea 1 million eyeballs ago before this became a big chapter of fan abuse in their history.  5 years of work?  30 days until launch.  Thats some major corporate scumbaggery.

I'll echo other posters comment that I'll be buying my Square Enix games used now.  Its not that I'm don't like their games, I just can't be a rabid supporter of a company that does this any longer.

Spekkio

• Earthbound (+15)
  • Master of War
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: May 13, 2009, 05:27:51 am »
And you just let them get away with BREAKING THE LAW! Let them sue as much as they want, they won't EVER win, as there was NO copyright infringement since it was non-profit, and they will have to compensate you.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2009, 05:32:45 am by Spekkio »

Shinkinrui

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: May 13, 2009, 05:54:45 am »
And you just let them get away with BREAKING THE LAW! Let them sue as much as they want, they won't EVER win, as there was NO copyright infringement since it was non-profit, and they will have to compensate you.
This actually made me laugh out loud. Well-played, sir.

But yeah, even with my limited(read: "nearly non-existent") knowledge of copyright law, I know there doesn't have to be profit for it to be copyright infringement. By your logic, I could download the new Eminem album, burn a bunch of copies of it, and pass it out for free in front of the music store with no problems since I would not making any money.

But I must say, this IS a pretty gray area in my mind, since they were not actually planning on distributing any copies of the game, but rather a patch that would modify a ROM image. And ROM images CAN be made legally to back up/archive your SNES game cartridges :) I have plenty of legal ROM images myself(<3 Professor SF II). Anyway, the point I'm trying to make is that SE is probably on pretty shaky legal grounds themselves in this matter, but not for the laughable reasons you listed.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2009, 06:02:22 am by Shinkinrui »

Spekkio

• Earthbound (+15)
  • Master of War
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: May 13, 2009, 06:13:28 am »
I think your example would be Piracy, not Copyright Infringement.