Author Topic: Cease & Desist Letter  (Read 176906 times)

teaflower

• Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • Dreams are the gateway to reality.
    • View Profile
Re: Cease & Desist Letter
« Reply #240 on: May 11, 2009, 06:32:56 pm »
You see, if SE catches wind of CE, it's not just the people who distribute it who get in trouble. No no no. The source is the beta testers, and their source is ZeaLitY. SE hears of it, they sue Z for breaking the terms of the agreement.

One way or another, I feel that we'll still get it, somehow, someway.

Remember, folks.

The Dream of Zeal is Alive!
                              ^still

Dark3mx

• Guardian (+100)
  • Those wings... I want them too.
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: May 11, 2009, 06:47:22 pm »
What if... all evidence of CE was wiped from the compendium, there is still at least 1 copy of CE helb by someone, rename the game, change sprites, and names... then release the new game... from a different source tho...

kinda working off of Dark Serge's post.

MDenham

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
  • Glowsticks are not a weapon.
    • View Profile
    • Java IRC - konata.echoes-online.com
« Reply #242 on: May 11, 2009, 06:50:00 pm »
What if... all evidence of CE was wiped from the compendium, there is still at least 1 copy of CE helb by someone, rename the game, change sprites, and names... then release the new game... from a different source tho...

kinda working off of Dark Serge's post.
Doable, though one of the following would have to be the case as well:

* No mention is made that the result is based off of the CT engine; or
* An entirely separate engine is developed for the resulting game.

(The first option has the downside of that if anyone finds out that it was based off the CT engine, the potential shitstorm would be enormous.)

mav

• Magical Dreamer (+1250)
  • Gentleman Waiting in the Train Station at Twilight
    • View Profile
    • The RPG Realm
« Reply #243 on: May 11, 2009, 06:58:54 pm »
Let the fellas of CE find out any and all possible repercussions before we get carried away. See, there have been times in the past where these big companies have bought the fan game, paid off the creators, and released it. I doubt that'll happen here, but there are options, likewise there are organizations that can "fight" for the CE team (I won't post the link, but I believe Zeality and Ramsus already know about the group I've thinking of). But the thing about every action that could be taken is that they all require the support of the CE team--they're the ones who have the most to risk and who've also lost the most with all this. 

MoAmyot

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: May 11, 2009, 07:03:56 pm »
This has been discuted on GameTrailers.com forums and I thought I spend some of my time registering here and wishing you guys the best in your future actions.

I'm playing CT for the first time now and I'm half way thru and the game is wonderful and after seeing your latest footage video I have to say that it's a damn shame that the project has been shutted down by SE.

What you guys did is litteraly a piece of art and I know how it feels to have your precious work crushes into pieces.

I just can't stand SE way of treating their fans. Take Blizzard for example, they've released multiple kits for fans to use and encourage creative via their official website with the custom map contest and so on. The same goes for Valve, just look at Counter-Strike. It was a basement project at first and look how successful the game is now.

Square Enix is really missing an opportunity to make alot of money (buying your work?) and to make their fans happy.

Stay strong guys!

Dark3mx

• Guardian (+100)
  • Those wings... I want them too.
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: May 11, 2009, 07:12:00 pm »
... The C&D for CE looks so... FAKE compared to the C&D for Resurrection...
August 26, 2004

Sender Information:
[Private]
Sent by: [Private]
[Private]
USA
Recipient Information:
[Private]
[Private]
Quebec, H4C 2H2, Canada

Sent via: email, postal mai
Re: Infringement of

Re:   Infringement of ?CHRONO TRIGGER? trademarks and copyrights ?
Our Ref.: 0821041.0001

Dear [Private]:

Our firm acts as intellectual property counsel for Kabushiki Kaisha Square Enix, aka Square Enix Co., Ltd., a world-famous producer and distributor of computer games and other entertainment products and services.

Our client created and distributes the computer game ?CHRONO TRIGGER?, which was first published in 1995 and is protected by U.S. Copyright Registrations Nos. TX-4-004-101 and PA-1-084-818. Also, our client owns three federal trademark registrations for ?CHRONO TRIGGER?, i.e.:

No. 2,021,310 ? Int?l. Class 16.

No. 2,024,475 ? Int?l. Class 28.

No. 2,270,900 ? Int?l. Class 9

We understand that you are developing ?Chrono Trigger: Resurrection?, a 3D remake of our client?s ?CHRONO TRIGGER? game which will recreate scenes from the original game. Your conduct in this regard constitutes copyright infringement and, inter alia, violates our client?s exclusive right to prepare derivative works based on its copyrighted work. Your use of the words ?CHRONO TRIGGER? in connection with your ?remake? and on your web site ?opcoder.com?, and your use of logos, scenes, characters and other images associated with our client?s games, constitutes trademark and copyright infringement and false designation of origin.

Accordingly, demand is hereby made that you immediately cease and desist from further development, promotion, sale or distribution of any product which is based on or derived from our client?s ?CHRONO TRIGGER? games, and that you cease and desist from all use of the ?CHRONO TRIGGER? trademark and logo, and all use of images or artwork from ?CHRONO TRIGGER? games.

This letter is written without prejudice to the exercise of any of our client?s rights and remedies, all of which are expressly reserved. If we do not receive your written response and adequate assurances within ten (10) business days of your receipt of this letter, our client intends to pursue its available remedies, which may include a lawsuit for injunctive and monetary relief, namely, damages, statutory damages, lost profits, costs, and/or attorneys? fees.

We await your response, and remain

Yours sincerely,

[Private]

And why would they send the C&D via PDF? i looks kinda like someone photoshopped the SE logo. The address and phone numbers on the bottom of the C&D are real, but that does not rule out that someone googled SE's info, or took it right off of the SE site.

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: May 11, 2009, 07:16:30 pm »
I think Agent12 is going call Square Enix at some point in the next few days. Either the email will be proven 100% or some kind of massive witch hunt will be on.

mav

• Magical Dreamer (+1250)
  • Gentleman Waiting in the Train Station at Twilight
    • View Profile
    • The RPG Realm
« Reply #247 on: May 11, 2009, 07:20:45 pm »
Ready the pitchforks, ladies and gentlemen.

Regarding the letter though, we should treat it as real until it is proven to be fake.

IAmSerge

• Temporal Warrior (+900)
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: May 11, 2009, 07:24:33 pm »
I have my swallow...

Dialga_Palkia

• Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: May 11, 2009, 07:26:07 pm »
Ready the pitchforks, ladies and gentlemen.

Regarding the letter though, we should treat it as real until it is proven to be fake.

could i have a katana?

MDenham

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
  • Glowsticks are not a weapon.
    • View Profile
    • Java IRC - konata.echoes-online.com
« Reply #250 on: May 11, 2009, 07:26:26 pm »
I have my swallow...
European or African?

IAmSerge

• Temporal Warrior (+900)
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: May 11, 2009, 07:30:36 pm »
I have my swallow...
European or African?

I don't know that, but it has an air-speed velocity of KICKING YOUR ASS. (2 references in one! See if you get em both)

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Forever loyal to the Acacia Dragoons
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: May 11, 2009, 07:31:26 pm »
Don't have a pitchfork, guess I'll use my sword instead (though I'm aware fellow Sgts use an axe...)...

MoAmyot

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: May 11, 2009, 07:31:55 pm »
Ouch if the letter is fake =/

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: May 11, 2009, 07:33:17 pm »
Nobody really knows at this point besides Square Enix/the hoaxter. But a resolution should be coming up.

Maybe pitchforks will come out either way though.