Author Topic: Cease & Desist Letter  (Read 178347 times)

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
Re: Cease & Desist Letter
« Reply #195 on: May 11, 2009, 03:35:11 am »
I love the Emperor's expression in that picture!

MDenham

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
  • Glowsticks are not a weapon.
    • View Profile
    • Java IRC - konata.echoes-online.com
« Reply #196 on: May 11, 2009, 03:43:52 am »
Figured I'd pop by again (first time in I don't know HOW long :-/ - no Internet at home makes things a pain) just to say that, if anyone's interested in writing games from scratch to make up for this, I'm up for it.

Also, the "let's reverse-engineer CC" stuff would be nice to have copies of more for the sake of game design principles than anything else.  When you know how one game works, it becomes a lot easier to avoid mistakes that were made in it...

MasaMuneCyrus

• Earthbound (+15)
  • Sir Magus
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: May 11, 2009, 03:53:06 am »
Quote from: Lord J
I don't personally know if someone had recorded a play-through before that happened. If they did, I'm sure it will come out eventually.

We have hours of footage that could probably be strung together into a complete or nearly complete playthrough video series. I think that'll be the final option if the situation remains as-is. For now, everyone hold off on sending a barrage of letters until the core CE team has had time to mull everything over.

MasaMuneCyrus, do you happen to have a link describing any kind of actual litigation between Zophar's Domain and Nintendo? The precedent may prove useful somehow.

Nope, but I know the co-founder of it back when Zophar was still in charge. I'll talk to him and see what he knows. Likely, he'll just say that Zophar handled that sort of thing. SwampGas has owned the site for years, now, though, so contacting him on the forum would probably be best. That said, maybe we can track down Zophar via MySpace or something >:-D
« Last Edit: May 11, 2009, 04:30:24 am by MasaMuneCyrus »

MasaMuneCyrus

• Earthbound (+15)
  • Sir Magus
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: May 11, 2009, 03:59:17 am »
Oops, it wasn't in this thread actually. Can't remember offhand where it was. Anyway, I was talking about this game:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Silver_Lining_(game)

Is Quest for Glory II another case?

Yep it was. Vivendi sent them a C&D about two months before they released the remake, just like what happened to you guys. However, the AGDI guys never gave up, and actually contacted and got thru to Vivendi in responce to this C&D. I'm scouring their forums right now for the post about their legal battle, but it never got to the courts. They just managed to talk them into a compromise.

And I really hope not all the material was destroyed..... Not before it was fought!

The problem with that is Vivendi is western based. To reach SE we would have to go through Square-Enix NA and they are useless really.

Japan is a country where hentai doujinshi of childrens' games is acceptable as a form of parody. Of all places, a fan Chrono game would be legal in Japan.

Vehek

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: May 11, 2009, 04:01:08 am »
More places. Is there any preferred way for me to report finding them?

http://www.thegameraccess.com/newsflash/why-square-enix-why (Blog)
http://forum.nuklearpower.com/showthread.php?t=34601
http://vally8.free.fr/forum/viewtopic.php?f=37&p=241000&sid=78f395bb3b570b4b85987568625e73f0#p241000 (Last post)
http://boards.ign.com/nintendo_ds_lobby/b7594/179058758/p1/?6 (Starting from Kebrel's post)
There's another site I found this morning, but I'm nervous about posting it because it's a ROM site.

Keep looking as more indexed sites start showing up on search.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2009, 04:07:54 am by Vehek »

joemomma

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: May 11, 2009, 04:08:50 am »
I almost cried.......

this shit ruined my day..... no it ruined the last few years for me...

I knew this shit would happen, the youtube videos, then the website... oh and don't forget the banners and wallpapers..... (this part?) .... yeah this has to be the worst day ever...
« Last Edit: May 11, 2009, 04:18:56 am by joemomma »

IAmSerge

• Temporal Warrior (+900)
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: May 11, 2009, 04:11:51 am »
it might be over but I think you should really edit that one part out of your post... asap...

MasaMuneCyrus

• Earthbound (+15)
  • Sir Magus
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: May 11, 2009, 04:20:26 am »
More importantly we should be sending this to video game news sites everywhere. If can get recognition from sites like 1up, Kotaku, Destructoid, joystick, ign, or gamespot then we reach a mass audience and raise more recognition for the series on an extremely wide scale. Next we hit SE at their own website, with links to all those sites with their news stories, little or nothing but perhaps the big wigs will get the picture.

Some material prepared in connection with a game may be subject to copyright if it contains a sufficient amount of literary or pictorial expression. For example, the text matter describing the rules of the game, or the pictorial matter appearing on the gameboard or container, may be registrable.

This sounds like it include same characters and their sprites. And it said nothing of using the same characters, it only mentioned similar being ok.

I sent it to Destructoid, GoNintendo, Kotaku, Joystiq, GoNintendo, and don't forget to digg it up and give it a + on Slashdot

IAmSerge

• Temporal Warrior (+900)
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: May 11, 2009, 04:21:49 am »
I almost cried.......

this shit ruined my day..... no it ruined the last few years for me...

I knew this shit would happen, the youtube videos, then the website... oh and don't forget the banners and wallpapers..... (this part?) .... yeah this has to be the worst day ever...

yep... no wait, you missed a spot... oh, wait, yeah, ya got it.

...I mean, just incase.. >.> ya know?

joemomma

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: May 11, 2009, 04:24:33 am »
i hope the "just in case" will come one day....

Lilka

• Earthbound (+15)
  • [Devotion] Eternal Youth in Living Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: May 11, 2009, 04:28:13 am »
...bugger.  Just...bugger.

I really wanted to see the limits of what could be done with this game, and hell, most of that was tied to the fact that it was freaking Chrono Trigger.

Nothing else to say that hasn't been said over and over.

~8Y8~ May Milady's harbingers bring you to peaceful rest, Crimson Echoes. ~8Y8~

Ema

• Enlightened One (+200)
  • Truth Filter, Goodness Filter & Utility Filter...
    • View Profile
    • IG
« Reply #206 on: May 11, 2009, 04:47:51 am »

Mikisho

• Guardian (+100)
  • The Future Refused to Change. We Said Screw You.
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: May 11, 2009, 04:48:31 am »
<Opens mouth to speak....>
<Closes Mouth and thinks a little longer....>
eh heh...  So hows everybodies weekend been?  I know I've only been here since friday, but damn.  This genuinely pissed me off...  I'm just glad that I got to play Prophet's Guile yesterday.  Reading the comments of all you people who have been here from the beginning...  I wanted to cry.  I mean, you guys as a community have spent...  What was it, 6 years on this thing?  I have been here 3 days.

*sigh*

You know, I can tell this would have been great.  I don't really want to stand for it.  I wish I had been a part of the production crew.  Just so I could have had my own copy and finished it, and released it to the public just to piss Square off......  *Exhales....* Yeah, I know I'm over reacting....  But honestly, why not test this C&D?  For all we know, it could be merely an empty threat.  And if it isn't, whats the worst that could happen?  They shut the game down anyway, the compendium gets shut down, and Zeality(Or someone else?) get's sued.

Yeah, Yeah over reacting again <_<...  So every last copy of CE has been destroyed huh?  If that's the case then why are we contemplating fighting this thing?  Even if we do find a loop hole, the work you guys put into this thing is gone.  It would never be quite the same.  You would not get that same feeling from this because it would be a redoing.  It wouldn't be a revolutionary build up from scratch.  However, if you did decide to build up from scratch, it would just be another 6 years of your life gone.

*censored* I'm tired....  I always get like this when I'm in a bad mood.....  I'm not trying to be negative about the whole situation.  All I'm trying to do is get reality into this topic.  If CE has been destroyed, then it's gone.  CE is officially dead, and the dream is over.  It's Blunt, it's to the point, and it's true.  You can say whatever you want to this post.  You can call me a jackass, you can say it was unnecessary, You can do any negative thing you want, think up the darkest thought you possibly can.  The most horrific torture imaginable, and respond to this comment.  I will read everything you guys have because I can only imagine what kind of emotions are going through your mind right now, and I know THAT doesn't even compare.

So Chrono Compendium.  I'll stay as part of the community.  I will partake in the discussions.  I will take all abuse you guys have for me, without question.  But just know that this is reality.  CE will never be released.  If we do somehow get a fan liscense, and make a new game, it won't be CE.  IT could potentially be called CE, it might have everything the exact same.  But the electricity that this current model has created will never be duplicated.  CE is gone.  The dream is over.  Reality has kicked in.  SE has done what Schala and Lavos never could, and that's devour our dreams.  Farewell CE.  I was lucky to have any excitement over you at all.  I'm sorry I never got to play you. 
Goodbye.

Xshu

• Iokan (+1)
  • Let there be justice, even if it kills the world.
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: May 11, 2009, 04:51:59 am »
So let's say you guys are granted a fan license or something, and Square miraculously says you can make the game. Would you have to start from scratch, or do you still have some pieces of the puzzle in case they change their mind?

Or can you not answer that?

tapir3147

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: May 11, 2009, 05:17:30 am »
You'd have to think some member of the team has the developmental files hidden away on an external drive under the bed or something, but of course they won't post that where SE can see it! You know? I think those of us who are not "in the know" can only show our interest/support in public forums and see if some miracle negotiator appears to make a fan license appear.