Author Topic: Cease & Desist Letter  (Read 176953 times)

odekam

• Earthbound (+15)
  • I'm no hero. Never was. Never will be.
    • View Profile
Re: Cease & Desist Letter
« Reply #150 on: May 10, 2009, 07:56:04 pm »
Just throwing this out there, but I am almost 99% sure that in the United States, under federal law, it is legal to distribute rom modifications in the form of IPS patches, which do not include any of the original copyrighted material.

I remember read this stuff somewhere, too.

RoxSilverFox

• Chronopolitan (+300)
  • Hey, do you think we should go get some pies?
    • View Profile
    • Silver Fox Games
« Reply #151 on: May 10, 2009, 08:01:26 pm »
I thought this tribute might be in order... or something along those lines...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvGK4c5uBL0&feature=channel_page

Heh, well speak of the devil...  Much sadder than I had envisioned though, but that's the music for ya.

Yeah, I 'saw' your brilliant idea and couldn't resist bring it to life in this little animation.

SPELLING ERROR FIXED!
« Last Edit: May 10, 2009, 08:04:35 pm by RoxSilverFox »

mav

• Magical Dreamer (+1250)
  • Gentleman Waiting in the Train Station at Twilight
    • View Profile
    • The RPG Realm
« Reply #152 on: May 10, 2009, 08:02:31 pm »
Just throwing this out there, but I am almost 99% sure that in the United States, under federal law, it is legal to distribute rom modifications in the form of IPS patches, which do not include any of the original copyrighted material.

I remember read this stuff somewhere, too.
Right. kuromadoshi's quote about federal law and IPS patches is what got me thinking of derivative works. Ultimately it's up to the court to decide, I believe.

justin3009

• Fan Project Leader
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: May 10, 2009, 08:04:06 pm »
So the thing that's getting me, if they somehow let up and remove the Cease and Desist on it, is it ONLY for Crimson Echoes or every Chrono fan project?

mav

• View Profile
    • The RPG Realm
« Reply #154 on: May 10, 2009, 08:05:40 pm »
It'd be mighty generous if they let up on CE, but if it's a legal precedent they're gonna set then it might apply to all Chrono ROM hacks.

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: May 10, 2009, 08:08:47 pm »
Yeah, I imagine we'll have to play that question by ear justin.

mav, the "derivative work" argument is interesting. Technically, CE is "a transformation" of the original work in question. It would seem to fall under "other modifications" in the language you cited.

Hipnos

• Iokan (+1)
  • See a new official CT!
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: May 10, 2009, 08:10:46 pm »
My god... this is perhaps the worst news I can wake up to.

From what I've seen of the game, it was amazing. Everything about it... awesome. Fare thee well, Crimson Echoes. Fare thee well, all our ROM hacking shit. Fare thee well, the work of millions. Thanks so much to Square for crushing our dreams.

But hey, look on the bright side. Maybe they'll see that we're such a thriving community that they would make a new game to appease us. Yeah! Maybe it'll be bigger, better, and more awesome!

... maybe we ninja'd their idea and that's why we got C&E'd.

Just to make things clear: There was this fanproject, CT: Ressurection.

They received a C&D letter.

We got a CT port with two more dungeons. I don't think this is such a "bigger, better and more awesome" thing.

mav

• View Profile
    • The RPG Realm
« Reply #157 on: May 10, 2009, 08:12:09 pm »
Yeah, I imagine we'll have to play that question by ear justin.

mav, the "derivative work" argument is interesting. Technically, CE is "a transformation" of the original work in question. It would seem to fall under "other modifications" in the language you cited.
I'll try and read up on it, but since we're pressed on time, I suggest that everyone truly committed to CE to read up on it as well. I'll post more information as I get it.

Chrono'99

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: May 10, 2009, 08:18:43 pm »
My god... this is perhaps the worst news I can wake up to.

From what I've seen of the game, it was amazing. Everything about it... awesome. Fare thee well, Crimson Echoes. Fare thee well, all our ROM hacking shit. Fare thee well, the work of millions. Thanks so much to Square for crushing our dreams.

But hey, look on the bright side. Maybe they'll see that we're such a thriving community that they would make a new game to appease us. Yeah! Maybe it'll be bigger, better, and more awesome!

... maybe we ninja'd their idea and that's why we got C&E'd.

Just to make things clear: There was this fanproject, CT: Ressurection.

They received a C&D letter.

We got a CT port with two more dungeons. I don't think this is such a "bigger, better and more awesome" thing.

CT: Ressurection was a CT demo (the final product was meant to be a demo) with about twenty less dungeons and two less playable characters. I don't think teaflower was referring to either of these two titles.

KebreI

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • A true man never dies, even when he's killed
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: May 10, 2009, 08:19:49 pm »
People have submitted these:

http://digg.com/gaming_news/Square_Enix_Sends_C_D_Order_to_Popular_Chrono_Trigger_Site
http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/8je53/98_complete_chrono_trigger_fan_sequel_rom_mod/
If any one has a Fark account that would be even better! I could see about signing up there, I there lurk everyday anyways.

EDIT:Well brand new members can't submit anything so any one else up for it?
« Last Edit: May 10, 2009, 08:34:21 pm by KebreI »

Azure

• Chrono Trigger + Crew
  • Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: May 10, 2009, 08:20:41 pm »
Hello my fellow 'pendiumites,
I realize we have received some very sad info with the C&D on Chrono Trigger: Crimson Echoes.  I have decided to open my email to hear of the battles.  I want to keep our dream alive, but I see we've been left with no options.  All I have to say is RIP to the games that have been closed, and long live the future of our beloved game.

~Azure
LongLiveOurBattle@live.ca

Megamanx

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: May 10, 2009, 08:20:59 pm »
I was looking forward to this more then any other "game" coming out.  I am speechless... everyone that cares enough to download a chrono ROM Hack ALREADY has copies of it at the very least on one system, if not all 3(like myself).  I don't see how in the blue hell they stand to lose money from this, and whoever decided this was a detriment to the company and they needed to squash it deserves a Mike Tyson - in his prime - punch to the gut... hell, maybe even 2.  That's what I feel like I just got.  I can only imagine how much it sucks for you guys who were actually involved in the project.  I WOULD LIKE to think this means Square still has love for the chrono series, but I know better.  
they just want to flex their muscles because CE would've been better then anything they could've thought up, and I guess they held a meeting when they merged with Enix and said "Hey guys, I have a great idea... now that the 2 juggernauts are together, lets just... you know, suck.  oh, and lets also not let anyone else make games to help ease the pain of our suckage.  We want them to hurt."  I also know that square hasn't made a good game in nearly a decade (FFX is the last one I consider respectable...though the kingdom hearts games are good ole fashioned fun), so even if they do try to make another chrono game, playing it will be about the same as getting papercut eyes.  To me, all this says is that Square is essentially an 11 year old who won't allow the poor innocent blind-deaf kid, Tommy, to play in the far corner of the sandbox at the playground, simply because it would make the 11-year-old-square weinerhurt.

Man I am furious.  I wish I like had a friend that works at square-enix that I could beat the hell out of or something...
« Last Edit: May 10, 2009, 08:25:16 pm by Megamanx »

teaflower

• Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • Dreams are the gateway to reality.
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: May 10, 2009, 08:20:59 pm »
Yeah, I wasn't referring to Resurrection. Maybe they'll make a whole new game. Not a port, but an actual game.

That's what I hope, at least.

Megamanx

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: May 10, 2009, 08:24:08 pm »
Oops, repost.

Dark3mx

• Guardian (+100)
  • Those wings... I want them too.
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: May 10, 2009, 08:26:10 pm »
Ok, i have been researching on copyrights with ROm hacking, It is NOT illegal to distribute your hack in the form of an IPS file, as long as you are not distributing a pre-pathed image, or the clean rom itself, HOWEVER, if a company thinks you are making derrivitave works, you can still be hit full force with copyright infringment. I will update if i find anything else.