Author Topic: Cease & Desist Letter  (Read 177004 times)

Yourgingerestfan

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Magical Dreamer (+1250)
  • im ginger ....your ginger ....were all ginger !
    • View Profile
Re: Cease & Desist Letter
« Reply #120 on: May 10, 2009, 05:21:55 pm »
Just Logged in ...I'm shocked ......Its like they always knew about CE and are so sadistic they crushed everyones hopes and dreams right before the prize .
« Last Edit: May 10, 2009, 05:32:36 pm by Yourgingerestfan »

ONSLAUGHT

• Springtime of Youth
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Crono + Panda = WTF Run!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: May 10, 2009, 05:24:26 pm »
Sucks.

Why not just take it and maybe work with the people who made it on the project?

Nope. Too corporate.

That seems to be where games are headed these days. Far too corporate now. In the past, would they have cared if far enough? No, not at all. Now that games are more marketable and it's no longer a "fun" thing but a "business" thing, seems like SE is willing to rip their own fans in half if it means keeping the cash to themselves.

Pisses me off.

Sad thing is it's not just them either. I wonder, is there ANY company that'd allow for stuff anymore? Sega's all I know of(namely Sonic Team, but c'mon, Sonic's in the corner).

Chrono isn't as big, you'd think they'd like this since it'd bring him out and make them even more money!

KebreI

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • A true man never dies, even when he's killed
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: May 10, 2009, 05:25:52 pm »
...download and illegal for the win .

:picardno

People this does not help our cause at all, if any thing it make the compendium look worse.

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: May 10, 2009, 05:27:30 pm »
Everyone, keep in mind that SE is likely reading this very thread, so careful with pirate talk, me mateys. The Compendium's official policy always has been, and always will be, to promote purchasing Chrono franchise products.

Kano

• Earthbound (+15)
  • Mr. Red
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: May 10, 2009, 05:31:03 pm »
[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator (sigh, We're all pissed, but calm down dude.)]
« Last Edit: May 10, 2009, 05:35:01 pm by Chrono'99 »

Chrono'99

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: May 10, 2009, 05:33:42 pm »
Sad thing is it's not just them either. I wonder, is there ANY company that'd allow for stuff anymore? Sega's all I know of(namely Sonic Team, but c'mon, Sonic's in the corner).

As said earlier in this thread, Vivendi Games allowed a team to make a King's Quest fan sequel after initially sending them a C&D letter. The team and their fans had somehow managed to negociate a "fan licence".

Yourgingerestfan

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Magical Dreamer (+1250)
  • im ginger ....your ginger ....were all ginger !
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: May 10, 2009, 05:34:13 pm »
Ill change what I put , Sorry . I dont want it making the compendium look bad . Lets hope they make a chrono game to sorta say sorry .

KebreI

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • A true man never dies, even when he's killed
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: May 10, 2009, 05:41:59 pm »

As said earlier in this thread, Vivendi Games allowed a team to make a King's Quest fan sequel after initially sending them a C&D letter. The team and their fans had somehow managed to negociate a "fan licence".
Really now that's interesting.

I'll keep saying it, the best course of action is for ZeaLitY to send a counter proposal. Hell the worst they can do then is to just say "No get rid of everything" which is what will happen if we don't do any thing. Here that Z? Don't just give up on it, there are alternatives then legal purgatory.

I can image your tired as hell right now, mull it over but I sincerely request that you do consider it.

MagusRogue

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: May 10, 2009, 05:43:32 pm »

It wasn't Kings Quest, because they had already released them. It was for Quest for Glory II, and the team's name was ADGInteractive. They got sent a C&D, and managed to negotiate with Vivendi the release of QfGII, in part of the negotiations was that Vivendi was to get a pre-release copy and play through it, in order to confirm that ADGI was not going to defame or slander or otherwise ruin their intellectual property. AGDI fought it and won, without any lawyers or lawsuits or the like. I know, I was at their forums for 4 years waiting on the project. Go to their website and the QFGII forums and look through the history for their battle with Vivendi's C&D. Heck, they got the original developers for QFGII in on it and they loved the remake, and eventually helped campaign them against Vivendi. The mighty did not fall that day.

Maybe you guys can do something similar? Write SE back and try to make a compromise, just like AGDI did? AGDI and Zophar both prove that you can fight the big guys and win. I have hope!!!
« Last Edit: May 10, 2009, 05:45:17 pm by MagusRogue »

Chrono'99

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: May 10, 2009, 05:47:40 pm »
Oops, it wasn't in this thread actually. Can't remember offhand where it was. Anyway, I was talking about this game:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Silver_Lining_(game)

Is Quest for Glory II another case?

povuholo

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: May 10, 2009, 05:47:58 pm »
Maybe you guys can do something similar? Write SE back and try to make a compromise, just like AGDI did? AGDI and Zophar both prove that you can fight the big guys and win. I have hope!!!
The problem is that if we assume that the CE team was honest (and we can assume that they were) they have truly destroyed every copy of CE, unless they accidentally missed something. So even if SE's mind could be changed, it would be useless because everything is lost.

Chronomage002

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: May 10, 2009, 05:52:18 pm »
every shadow is made by a light. thus even though CE was reduced to ashes, this now just means that now they know that the fans were sneaking around behind their backs when they thought there were not enough fans at all. so now i believe this produces hope for perhaps another chrono related remake, or perhaps---- even a forth installment to the chrono series. perhaps for ps3? hmmmm? hmmm? i think we can all agree the video games nowadays suck and i bet they are losing sales, but now that they know there is a pretty good amount of chrono fans they will simply have to give us what we want. MORE CHRONO!

ps. i demand remake of chrono chross for the psp square enix!

Jutty

• Black Wind Agent (+600)
  • The Most In-Frequent Poster Ever
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: May 10, 2009, 05:52:26 pm »
Everyone, keep in mind that SE is likely reading this very thread, so careful with pirate talk, me mateys. The Compendium's official policy always has been, and always will be, to promote purchasing Chrono franchise products.

One can only hope. Fuck you Square-Enix. This is all the more reason to buy pre-owned games.

MagusRogue

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: May 10, 2009, 05:53:24 pm »
Oops, it wasn't in this thread actually. Can't remember offhand where it was. Anyway, I was talking about this game:

Yep it was. Vivendi sent them a C&D about two months before they released the remake, just like what happened to you guys. However, the AGDI guys never gave up, and actually contacted and got thru to Vivendi in responce to this C&D. I'm scouring their forums right now for the post about their legal battle, but it never got to the courts. They just managed to talk them into a compromise.

And I really hope not all the material was destroyed..... Not before it was fought!

Jutty

• Black Wind Agent (+600)
  • The Most In-Frequent Poster Ever
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: May 10, 2009, 05:55:43 pm »

Yep it was. Vivendi sent them a C&D about two months before they released the remake, just like what happened to you guys. However, the AGDI guys never gave up, and actually contacted and got thru to Vivendi in responce to this C&D. I'm scouring their forums right now for the post about their legal battle, but it never got to the courts. They just managed to talk them into a compromise.

And I really hope not all the material was destroyed..... Not before it was fought!

The problem with that is Vivendi is western based. To reach SE we would have to go through Square-Enix NA and they are useless really.