Author Topic: Sooo... a music thread! (V SAYS: DO NOT JUST MAKE A LIST)  (Read 10663 times)

ONSLAUGHT

• Springtime of Youth
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Crono + Panda = WTF Run!!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Sooo... a music thread! (V SAYS: DO NOT JUST MAKE A LIST)
« Reply #45 on: October 17, 2009, 04:17:36 pm »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYsJUXh5Iec Final Fantasy IX I stand by being one of the best FFs and this song is a very strong reason for it with the beat, me whistling it constantly, the village itself being so memorable, Vivi(fan[gender] scream XD), this song I feel practically deserves to be the theme of the whole game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOnp5j8NPB0 A remix of a Michael Jackson song was done. And this person put Sonic The Hedgehog to it, in one of the most synchronized/hilarious and epic ways ever. Because you can't have Sonic without tea.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZLuBUDEvpc Yes, everyone now knows the song thanks to the ODST trailer. Which I must say is one fo the best commercials I've seen in ages and I don't even like Halo! And this song, both the commercial version and especially this seem to carry dark, gruesome feeling behind them. And Bungie must have translated the lyrics cause it does have to do with a gruesome battle in the midst of war. Death, blood, sweat, don't let the pretty high pitch voice throw you off. The song carries a much more sinister tone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMr52bCXNdU Long before they became a craze, I've liked these guys. They're finally getting heard about, and I must say I'm addicted to them. But the beeps and orchestra and piano seem to sound so much better to me now and I'm looking at getting their album. Vanilla Twilight also sounds good. Surprised this is making mainstream despite not being the typical mainstream song. Y'know, what with being catchy and having lyrics that aren't about sex, parties, and/or drugs.

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 17, 2009, 04:56:53 pm »
Now that we're on the subject of Final Fantasy IX... Some of the PRETTIEST and most BEAUTIFULLY ALIEN-sounding music can be found within the world of Terra. Seriously. These two songs transport me to another world, one delicately foreign and full of mystery. Intrigue. Alien.

Gosh, this makes me want to play Final Fantasy IX... Last I played it was around 4 years ago.  :D

I PRESENT:

Terra: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlhdZQWmteI&feature=related

and...

Bran Bal, The Soulless Village: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B74BNhYB6pQ

ONSLAUGHT

• Springtime of Youth
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Crono + Panda = WTF Run!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 25, 2009, 11:35:15 am »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtdWHFwmd2o I know I must've missed out on the craze cause I remember hearing about something related to this but I never heard the song. I'm finally listening to it and feel an instant urge to memorize it and dance crazily to it. Always been a big fan of theirs, and I must say this is now one of my favorite songs from them! The video even seems to fit it. Like it's brainwashing you into wanting it more! The robo baby is creepy as...well, creepy though...

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 25, 2009, 03:44:55 pm »
Gotta love Daft Punk!  Back in the day, many-a-house parties were started with Daft Punk...

ZombieBucky

• Springtime of Youth
  • Squaretable Knight (+400)
  • <insert witty phrase to match above avatar>
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 25, 2009, 03:57:34 pm »
what, you mean something like htis? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7R8DeBVBCzM
or maybe something like this? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gd0rTYwUUXE
i found them earlier. i was just kind of dancing my limbs out. it was so awesome.

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 25, 2009, 05:21:03 pm »
...I used to seduce da ladies on da dance floor wit Electric Love!...

...or at least try to...

Uboa

• Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 17, 2010, 05:37:55 am »
This is the best free Amazon music sampler I've ever downloaded:

http://www.amazon.com/The-Palm-Sampler/dp/B003178P88/

If there were such a thing as "Radio Uboa", this is what it might sound like!

MagilsugaM

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Time Traveler (+800)
  • Never say never... Nothing is impossible...
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 18, 2010, 11:47:14 pm »
Many music from Spanish RAP as in from Spain  :P. JROCK and JPOP. The Gazette and Antic Cafe or Maximun the hormone.
Then everything else it's video game music or some old school rock or cumbia from my country of origin. I listen to rock but not much. Santana is the greatest.
Oh, I still like band's like Evanescence or Linkin Park.

Don't blame me I have really wierd taste in music but I like most of songs that have strong feeling attach to it.
 Song's that don't need just lyrics to get a message across.
That's what IMO English (not in general) songs lack of.

BearFrog

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 17, 2010, 03:38:46 pm »
Considering I've been working diligently the past 3 years on preparing myself to become a professional musician and have gone through a ton of sacrifice (and continue to do so) for the sake of the one artform I love above all others, it stands to reason that I'm a pretty big music fan. When narrowing down my tastes, it becomes pretty difficult with a collection of 200+ CDs on hard copy (meaning I legally bought the CDs and didn't just illegally download them because I want to support the artist).

Overall, my favorite genre of music is what I define as "rock and roll", which I believe truly existed from the 1950s up to the early 1990s, followed by a sharp and immediate downward spiral. I consider everything from Dave Clark to Ratt to fall under the category of "rock and roll", so the genre has a wide variety. There are AOR bands like Journey, classic metal like Black Sabbath, classic rockers like Joe Walsh. I love all kinds of bands from the genre.

And there are other genres I love too. I love 60s bubblegum pop (but that may fall under my "rock and roll" category). I love old Motown, soul, funk, blues, and r&b (once we get to the 90s, all those genres tend to go downhill). 40s crooners, big band, jazz and swing and Tin Pan Alley stuff is pretty cool, as is old folk music and classical. Hell, I've got some old Gregorian chants that I really dig. I like very small amounts of musical theater ("My Fair Lady", "Sweeney Todd", "Tanz Der Vampire", "Rocky Horror", "Shock Treatment", etc.)Of course there's also video game music, which is some of the best post "music apocalypse of the 90s" music out there.

It’s probably easier to state music that I don’t like than music that I do like. I’m not a fan of most music that has come out since the 1990s. And no, I don’t mean I’m a fan of the music in the 90s, I mean I’m a fan of the music in the 1980s and prior and the 90s is where my musical tastes tend to stop. Alternative rock, grunge, emo, the vast majority of rap and modern r&b, modern pop, nu metal and the like do nothing for me. There are exceptions to the rule (I actually think that “Good Girl Gone Bad” album by Rihanna was a fantastic pop album and there’s a resurgence of quasi-classic rock bands coming out of Europe and Asia generally produces a decent amount of decent music) but for the most part, I don’t listen to any modern music.

I’m not a fan of “super heavy” stuff in general. I do listen to some metal bands, but I feel that at a certain point of heaviness these bands focus on becoming evil rather than writing songs that have melody. So while I do listen to small amounts of thrash, I tend to not go much heavier than Megadeth or Anvil. For example, I hate Metallica and Slayer (but I’m “okay” with Anthrax).

My favorite bands tend to fluctuate in order (save for my top three), but generally they are:

* The Beatles - They rise above all other bands so while they may be my favorite I feel unfair to compare them to other bands, so when people ask my favorite I generally give them my “trilogy”. I don’t think I need to get in to the specifics of why The Beatles are amazing.

* Kiss – The second band in my trilogy, Kiss are actually very similar to The Beatles in the sense that they have a distinct look with 4 different singers who sing and write their own material, allowing different personalities in the band to shine. Musically, there’s a surprising amount of variety in the discography, everything from progressive rock to power pop, and I’m usually able to impress people with the wide array of stuff Kiss has done over the course of their career. I’m generally familiar with the solo works of each Kiss member.

*Jim Steinman – The mad songwriting genius behind Meat Loaf’s two “Bat out of Hell” albums (meaning he wrote every single song on them, including “Paradise by the Dashboard Light and “I’d Do Anything For Love But I Won’t Do That”) and also Bonnie Tyler’s “Total Eclipse of the Heart”, Air Supply’s “Making Love Out of Nothing At All” and Celine Dion’s “It’a All Coming Back To Me Now”. If you noticed how twice a decade it was odd that there was an epic 8 minute romantic power ballad that became a radio hit, it was because of Steinman. Steinman has done one solo album “Bad For Good” and various songwriting projects over the course of his career, including creating puppet groups to sing his songs like “Fire Inc.” and “Pandora’s Box” and has entered musical theater with the likes of “Tanz Der Vampire” (a German musical about vampires ---it’s actually pretty amazing). I have a pretty decent Jim Steinman discography.

After the trilogy, it fades into various other bands including:

Rush – A Canadian progressive rock band with tons of cool songs, including the essential classic rock guitar jam “Working Man”.

Warrant – 80s hair metal band that is ironically remember for the song “Cherry Pie”, which was written in self-parody of sleazy sexual songs and the band’s overall discography is actually very intelligent. Jani Lane (the original lead singer) wrote most of the band’s early material by himself and is a very talented songwriter.

Alice Cooper- The Coop! Alice Cooper is the original king of shock rock, a master of gothic horror and brilliant lyrical sarcasm. Alice has done so much in his career that it’s difficult to know where to start, but the man has done everything from concept album’s about hell and mental asylums to having heartfelt ballads that have been covered by the likes of Tina Turner and Frank Sinatra(!). A music legend.

Thin Lizzy- By far the most underrated classic band of all time. Known in the US for only three songs (“Jailbreak”, “The Boy Are Back In Town” and “Whiskey in the Jar”), the band has one of the finest discographies classic rock has to offer. The band is fronted by bassist/singer Phil Lynott, a songwriter genius poet who was able to write quirky and romantic lyrics combined with a hard rock background into a perfect blend. People should be worshipping Phil Lynott instead of Jim Morrison.

The Doors – But I still love The Doors. Great, great band and one of the first really “dangerous” rock and roll groups. Musically, the heaviest part of the band is the killer drumming, and Jim Morrison’s vocals are that of a classic crooner like Sinatra which makes for a cool sound.

Queen – ‘Nuff said.

T. Rex – Glam rock genius Marc Bolan decided to morph 50’s rock and roll into his little playtoy and created T. Rex, a band full of groovy boogie and spacey lyrics. T. Rex doesn’t have too much variety in their discography, but I still love ‘em, and Marc Bolan falls under the category of “one guys writes all the songs and fronts the band but isn’t a solo artist” kind of guy. Generally considered a one-hit wonder in the states (“Bang a Gong (Get It On)”, they’re one of my favorite classic rock bands.

Styx – Yeah, they did “Come Sail Away”, and that’s pretty cool, but there are lots of great songs in that discography other than that song. Stuff like “Blue Collar Man” and “Crystal Ball”. Great classic rock. The current keyboardist, Lawrence Gowan, had a successful Canadian progressive pop rock career in Canada before joining Styx and I like his solo stuff as much as, if not more than, Styx’s music.

Loudness – Japanese hair metal one-hit wonders (at least in the States) known for the song “Crazy Nights”, they’ve got a wild and insane discography showcasing a lot of variety (and a lot of their stuff I really don’t like because it falls into the “noise metal lacking melody” category) but the stuff I do like I LOVE, and there’s at least 10 albums by this band I adore. Great, great underrated band.

Poison – Yes, the band with the guy from “Rock of Love”. I liked Poison a long time before that show came out and thought it was cool that it was introducing people to Poison again. They’re one of the most sincere bands out there; they write what they truly feel at that moment so there’s a real heart behind the songs. They’ve had a lot of hits over the course of their career including songs like “Talk Dirty To Me”, “Nothin’ But a Good Time”, “Unskinny Bop”, “Something To Believe In”, and, of course, “Every Rose Has Its Thorn”.

And what am I listening to right now? Well, the last two CDs I bought were Judas Priest’s “British Steel” and Iron Maiden’s “Killers” (which features the KILLER Paul Di’Anno on vocals, back before Bruce Dickinson joined the band) and recently ordered two CDs off the internet which should arrive any day now (Karla DeVito’s “Is This a Cool World or What?” and White Lion’s “Pride”).

Here are some song samples by some of the bands mentioned:

Karla DeVito – I Can’t Stand To Reminisce
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnZ2I0JgJkY

Thin Lizzy – Dedication
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOB7HuoLgjY

Warrant – Stronger Now (great lyrics)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvFNg7dksEI

Loudness – In The Mirror (Original Japanese Version)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHDvZPU2us0

Jim Steinman – Tanz Der Vampire clip (for anyone who likes Magus, check out this musical. Count von Krolock should be to your liking. Badass and cool but also dark and romantic)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzXA-3G5Rd8  

The Raspberries – I Wanna Be With You (not mentioned by name, but they’re a cool 70s band that kinda has a retro 60s pop kinda sound and are considered power pop peers of bands like Cheap Trick. Just figured I’d toss it in)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mFUYm5QFUE

Yeah, pretty long post. But like I said, I love music, and if I'm willing to sacrifice basically my entire life for it, I probably have strong feelings about it. Oh, and my music tastes have been often been said to be that of a 40 year old man, so if you were wondering, I'm 20.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2010, 03:53:10 pm by BearFrog »

Samopoznanie

• Enlightened One (+200)
  • Playing Upon the Strings of Emptiness
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 18, 2010, 02:59:10 am »
Great to see someone with such a wide range of taste stop by. Even better to see a bulky music post. A few comments:
I like very small amounts of musical theater ("My Fair Lady", "Sweeney Todd", "Tanz Der Vampire", "Rocky Horror", "Shock Treatment", etc.)
I'm always stunned when I meet someone else who's seen Shock Treatment, obscurity that it is. The movie - and the tunes (Bitchin' in the Kitchen) were pretty rugged, IMO. :shock:  Still, I'm a big Rocky Horror fan, seen the film close to 20 times, know the lyrics, seen it on stage... it's classic stuff.  I wish that Richard O'Brien had some more easy-to-find stuff.  I've yet to hear that solo album he released a few years ago.

Musical theatre is hard to get into I think, as so much of it is cheesy... I didn't take a liking to it until I got involved with one in high school.  I still enjoy Rent on occasion.  If it ever plays near you, I highly recommend the Toxic Avenger musical.  Wasn't a big fan of the movies, but it was a wonderful production - a five person cast, with the two acrobatic chorus guys playing 27 different roles.  See it on stage - the soundtrack doesn't do it justice.
I’m not a fan of most music that has come out since the 1990s. And no, I don’t mean I’m a fan of the music in the 90s, .... Alternative rock, grunge, emo, the vast majority of rap and modern r&b, modern pop, nu metal and the like do nothing for me.
I was and still am, to some degree, the same way for quite some time.  I was a retro snob for years, being heavily into old guitar rock (Deep Purple, Yngwie Malmsteen, Van Halen etc).  More recently though, I've had an odd nostalgia about me, and come to appreciate the early 90s stuff.  Alice In Chains especially, Chili Peppers (got into them through Chad Smith's drum clinics and John Frusciante's recent solo album, 'The Empyrean' - highly recommended), and yeah, even Nirvana.  Not just the music but the sound, the drum sound and vocals of that era strike me differently these days.

Some of the older bands, too, changed their sound to fit the grunge times, and I've come to enjoy those albums over the classic 70s ones lately.  Pink Floyd (The Division Bell), Black Sabbath (Dehumanizer, Cross Purposes), KISS (Revenge, Carnival of Souls), Ozzy (No More Tears) and Neil Young (Sleeps With Angels) for instance.

Try not to write the decade off for good, at least... it's come back to me after 10+ years of boycotting the era.  :lol:
I’m not a fan of “super heavy” stuff in general. I do listen to some metal bands, but I feel that at a certain point of heaviness these bands focus on becoming evil rather than writing songs that have melody. So while I do listen to small amounts of thrash, I tend to not go much heavier than Megadeth or Anvil. For example, I hate Metallica and Slayer (but I’m “okay” with Anthrax).
One of the things I hate the 80s scene for was that the metal scene became so bloated, and such a farce.  All these awful sub-genres and image-and-attitude-over-music bands coming out.  That's something I've always appreciated Grunge for, killing that genre in one swift blow, driving metal out of the pop scene.  Some of the heavy bands to come out of the 90s and 00s have been great  - Opeth, Pantera, Mastodon, Cathedral... none of that hairspray BS from the 80s.
* Kiss – The second band in my trilogy, Kiss are actually very similar to The Beatles in the sense that they have a distinct look with 4 different singers who sing and write their own material, allowing different personalities in the band to shine. Musically, there’s a surprising amount of variety in the discography, everything from progressive rock to power pop, and I’m usually able to impress people with the wide array of stuff Kiss has done over the course of their career. I’m generally familiar with the solo works of each Kiss member.
A lot of people trash KISS, especially over the whole merchandising / Gene Simmons aspect, but they demand respect regardless of what you think of their songs.  They've always done a good job of keeping up with the trends of the time, changing with the scene and still cranking out listenable hit songs.  'I Was Made For Loving You' gets a lot of flak - hell, so does the whole Dynasty album - but it's a  great radio song.  The 80s stuff is  bit weak (though I wish they'd kept Vinnie Vincent from 'Creatures...' on for more than one album), but I enjoyed the latest one.  Like AC/DC, they've still got the formula down to an art. 
*Jim Steinman – The mad songwriting genius behind Meat Loaf’s two “Bat out of Hell” albums (meaning he wrote every single song on them, including “Paradise by the Dashboard Light and “I’d Do Anything For Love But I Won’t Do That”)

Steinman / Meatloaf is a fantastic pairing, though I've found them both pretty hit-or-miss on their own.  Meatloaf, I do like 'Couldn't Have Said It Better.'  Patti Russo has been a great foil with him.

Some of the Steinman stuff really makes me cringe though, I have to admit.  Those aborted tunes for Batman: The Musical... awful! So glad that never came out!  Though I've got a morbid curiousity about how the Spider-Man one written by Bono and The Edge will turn out...  :?
Rush – A Canadian progressive rock band with tons of cool songs, including the essential classic rock guitar jam “Working Man”.
Another band that I really got into through their 90s stuff after they ditched the keyboards.  Geddy's voice was much easier to take than the 70s and 80s too.  Their strength is as a live act though, IMO - they put on a great show when I saw the Snakes & Arrows tour.
Thin Lizzy- By far the most underrated classic band of all time. Known in the US for only three songs (“Jailbreak”, “The Boy Are Back In Town” and “Whiskey in the Jar”), the band has one of the finest discographies classic rock has to offer. The band is fronted by bassist/singer Phil Lynott, a songwriter genius poet who was able to write quirky and romantic lyrics combined with a hard rock background into a perfect blend. People should be worshipping Phil Lynott instead of Jim Morrison.
Not a fan of the John Sykes lineup, I take it!
The Doors – But I still love The Doors. Great, great band and one of the first really “dangerous” rock and roll groups. Musically, the heaviest part of the band is the killer drumming, and Jim Morrison’s vocals are that of a classic crooner like Sinatra which makes for a cool sound.
Morrison is one of my favourite vocalists - has some great lyrics too, when he's not drugged to high heaven - but the rest of the band are real underrated.  Check out Manzarek's solo debut 'The Golden Scarab,' with Larry Carlton and Tony Williams (!) if you've not heard it. 
Loudness – Japanese hair metal one-hit wonders (at least in the States) known for the song “Crazy Nights”, they’ve got a wild and insane discography showcasing a lot of variety (and a lot of their stuff I really don’t like because it falls into the “noise metal lacking melody” category) but the stuff I do like I LOVE, and there’s at least 10 albums by this band I adore. Great, great underrated band.
Ever try Yamantaka Eye and The Boredoms?
And what am I listening to right now? Well, the last two CDs I bought were Judas Priest’s “British Steel” and Iron Maiden’s “Killers” (which features the KILLER Paul Di’Anno on vocals, back before Bruce Dickinson joined the band)

I actually can't stand 'British Cheese' as I call it, but some of the 70s stuff is great. Halford is one of the best vocalists in the genre.  I've got a DVD of him performing a spur-of-the-moment set with Black Sabbath from 2004(?), after Ozzy pulled out - and that's after already doing a set with Priest!

Di'Anno is the only Maiden I can be bothered with - find the Bruce stuff too cheesy and the Blaze stuff a bit dull - dark, though!  I appreciate that they played a full 6 tracks live off that album (X-Factor) on tour.
Oh, and my music tastes have been often been said to be that of a 40 year old man, so if you were wondering, I'm 20.
I'm 25, but got heavily into the older stuff when I was 16/17.  I can sympathize!

BearFrog

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 18, 2010, 06:14:33 am »
I'm always stunned when I meet someone else who's seen Shock Treatment, obscurity that it is. The movie - and the tunes (Bitchin' in the Kitchen) were pretty rugged, IMO.   Still, I'm a big Rocky Horror fan, seen the film close to 20 times, know the lyrics, seen it on stage... it's classic stuff.  I wish that Richard O'Brien had some more easy-to-find stuff.  I've yet to hear that solo album he released a few years ago.

I didn't even know he released a new album a few years ago. The most "recent" thing I've heard of his is a demo dating back to the 80s for a proposed third installment of Rocky Horror called "Revenge of the Old Queen". The song was called "The Moon Drenched Shores of Transylvania" and I dug it a lot. I have an mp3 of it if you haven't heard it. And as far as Rent goes, I never cared for it.

Fun Fact: I attempted to form a quirky Alice Cooper type glam rock band called “Shock Treatment” years back and making the title track to be our opening number, but the band fell apart after a few practices. Another glam rock group I was in called “Dyslexia” did cover “Sweet Transvestite” from the Rocky Horror Picture Show.

Some of the older bands, too, changed their sound to fit the grunge times, and I've come to enjoy those albums over the classic 70s ones lately.  Pink Floyd (The Division Bell), Black Sabbath (Dehumanizer, Cross Purposes), KISS (Revenge, Carnival of Souls), Ozzy (No More Tears) and Neil Young (Sleeps With Angels) for instance.

I don’t consider a lot of those albums to be change because of the grunge times and just natural progression (though “No More Tears” and “Carnival of Souls” definitely fall in the former category). Pink Floyd without Roger Waters is simply uninteresting to me (I’m done after “The Final Cut”). I really dig “Dehumanizer” and especially dig the song “I” after seeing Heaven and Hell perform the song live.

Try not to write the decade off for good, at least... it's come back to me after 10+ years of boycotting the era.  

I actually don’t write off the 90s completely. Some great bands have come out in the 90s and some of my favorite albums have come out in that era (like “Bat Out Of Hell II”, “Dog Eat Dog”, and “Carnival of Souls”). That said, there was a sudden sharp decline in the amount of good “new” bands and a lot of bands adapting their sound for the current music scene I didn’t care for. Some of the bands, however, released some of their best stuff in the 90s. Some excellent music came out of that decade, but for the most part it was pretty disappointing.

One of the things I hate the 80s scene for was that the metal scene became so bloated, and such a farce.  All these awful sub-genres and image-and-attitude-over-music bands coming out.  That's something I've always appreciated Grunge for, killing that genre in one swift blow, driving metal out of the pop scene.  Some of the heavy bands to come out of the 90s and 00s have been great  - Opeth, Pantera, Mastodon, Cathedral... none of that hairspray BS from the 80s.

I’m a big fan of bloated, over-the-top 80s metal. I adore Manowar and like some power metal bands like Dragonforce (not 80s) and Running Wild, but I’m a big big fan of hair metal. Hair metal is probably my favorite genre of music, as I feel it’s where all my influences meet together in one little package. The combination of melodic AOR like Journey, power-pop like Cheap Trick, big classic hooks of the 60s pop like The Beatles and the hard riffs of 70s rockers like Kiss all brought together in one place with anthemic music about following your dreams and living life to the fullest.

I’ve always sort-of resented grunge for “killing rock and roll”. After grunge, good time rock and roll almost ceased to exist. I never considered hair metal bands anything more than carriers of the good time rock and roll flag, and while the popularity maybe did deserve to die down and they were getting overexposed, I don’t feel like it should have been wiped out the way it was. The bands were starting to evolve and morph into some new and interesting places, but grunge nipped that in the bud, and since then bands like that haven’t been able to find much mainstream success. I feel that yes, it deserved to die down, but not die completely.

A lot of people trash KISS, especially over the whole merchandising / Gene Simmons aspect, but they demand respect regardless of what you think of their songs.  They've always done a good job of keeping up with the trends of the time, changing with the scene and still cranking out listenable hit songs.  'I Was Made For Loving You' gets a lot of flak - hell, so does the whole Dynasty album - but it's a  great radio song.  The 80s stuff is  bit weak (though I wish they'd kept Vinnie Vincent from 'Creatures...' on for more than one album), but I enjoyed the latest one.  Like AC/DC, they've still got the formula down to an art.

I listened to the Kiss discography out of order, getting 80s stuff at the same time as their 70s stuff, so some of the 80s stuff has a nostalgia feel for me, but overall I like the whole discography. The band’s two worst songs did come out in the 80s (“Murder In High Heels” and “Boomerang”), but I love a lot of their 80s stuff and feel that songs like “King of Hearts”, “Who Wants To Be Lonely” and even “Bang Bang You” are super cool and super fun. And I do like the new album a lot too.

Steinman / Meatloaf is a fantastic pairing, though I've found them both pretty hit-or-miss on their own.  Meatloaf, I do like 'Couldn't Have Said It Better.'  Patti Russo has been a great foil with him.

Some of the Steinman stuff really makes me cringe though, I have to admit.  Those aborted tunes for Batman: The Musical... awful! So glad that never came out!  Though I've got a morbid curiousity about how the Spider-Man one written by Bono and The Edge will turn out...  

Steinman I tend to love just about everything he does, including the Batman stuff (especially “The Graveyard Shift”) though that vampire monologue he did was kinda terrible. Meat Loaf I tend to like his non-Steinman stuff and I’ve been getting into some non-Steinman Bonnie Tyler too.

Another band that I really got into through their 90s stuff after they ditched the keyboards.  Geddy's voice was much easier to take than the 70s and 80s too.  Their strength is as a live act though, IMO - they put on a great show when I saw the Snakes & Arrows tour.

I like all eras of Rush, but my favorites are actually the 70s and 80s. Still dig the 90s and 2000s, but I like the songs from the other eras better. And yeah, I saw them on that tour too and they were fantastic.

Not a fan of the John Sykes lineup, I take it!

Are you referring to when he was in the band for the “Thunder and Lightning” album or the current lineup where he leads Lizzy? I like the album, and I have no qualms with him fronting the band. He’s no Phil, nobody is, but he’s keeping the music alive and I’m okay with that. I think it helps remind people of what a genius Lynott was and keeps his memory alive, so I think Lizzy continuing to perform is a positive tribute to Lynott’s music. If they recorded a studio album of new material, though, then I’d be wary.

Morrison is one of my favourite vocalists - has some great lyrics too, when he's not drugged to high heaven - but the rest of the band are real underrated.  Check out Manzarek's solo debut 'The Golden Scarab,' with Larry Carlton and Tony Williams (!) if you've not heard it.

Agree that the rest are underrated and I haven’t heard Manzarek’s solo debut. I also want to hear the couple post-Morrison albums they recorded, just for curiosity’s sake.

Ever try Yamantaka Eye and The Boredoms?

Haven’t heard of them. Loudness is by far my favorite Japanese band, but I tend to like a lot of music that comes out of Japan in general, be it pop, rock or video game and anime soundtracks. Japan has been pretty consistent in allowing quality music to enter the mainstream of its society. A lot of people I just like individual songs of, but off the top of my head, Utada, X Japan, EZO, Passion Rose and the Sex Machineguns come to mind of some Japanese music I enjoy. And of course Uematsu and Mitsuda.

My sister got into Korean pop during her last year of high school, so I’ve developed a level of appreciation for Super Junior.

I actually can't stand 'British Cheese' as I call it, but some of the 70s stuff is great. Halford is one of the best vocalists in the genre.  I've got a DVD of him performing a spur-of-the-moment set with Black Sabbath from 2004(?), after Ozzy pulled out - and that's after already doing a set with Priest!

Di'Anno is the only Maiden I can be bothered with - find the Bruce stuff too cheesy and the Blaze stuff a bit dull - dark, though!  I appreciate that they played a full 6 tracks live off that album (X-Factor) on tour.

I love British Steel. I went out and got it after hearing Priest perform the album it its entirety live. Songs like “United” left an impression on me as being awesome and I told myself it would be a good CD to pick up. And yeah, I heard about that show but haven’t seen it.

I prefer Di’Anno to Dickinson, but I enjoy the Dickinson era. The voice preference is strongly Di’Anno, though. Blaze…eh, haven’t sat down and really listened to the stuff from his era.

I'm 25, but got heavily into the older stuff when I was 16/17.  I can sympathize!

I didn’t get into music until my first concert at age 14. I would always listen to music on the radio and say, “This is so bad. Why do people like music? Music sucks.” The only music I liked was The Beatles, Ozzy Osbourne, Pink Floyd, Queen, Michael Jackson, old lullabies from my childhood and video game/cartoon music. And one Cher song.

Then, somehow I ended up going to a Kiss concert with my Dad. Poison was opening and they didn’t impress me all that much (in irony I’d go to see them about 3 or 4 times after this show and they’d become one of my favorite bands) but Kiss blew me away and I was hooked by great song after great song and started checking out their music as soon as I got home. All of a sudden I turned from a kid who thought that music sucked to someone who loved music more than anything else. I started watching a lot of Vh1 Classic to educate myself on music history, jotting down the names of bands I thought were cool and wanted to check out more of, including “WASP”, “Queensryche” and “Dio”. I thought the video for “Holy Diver” was the coolest thing I had ever seen in my entire life. I remember watching a documentary on “lame” metal bands but liking some of them and deciding to check them out, including “Loudness” and “Stryper”. The channel also introduced me to the wonderful pop group “Scandal” and tons of other bands. Great great channel.

Oh, and I checked out your prior post in this thread. Some cool stuff in that post. My one friend and I have very different musical tastes but meet up on old crooners, old blues and P-Funk so seeing Eddie Hazel on that list was cool, and I dig some Buckethead. And of course, the classic drumming of the Appice family was a nice reference.

Let me throw out a couple other names into this thread:

Prince- I own 5 Prince CDs. Very cool artist and I dig the various puppet groups concept and greatly enjoy “Morris Day and The Time”. A little known fact is that Warrant was almost another Prince puppet group and he produced the band’s demo tape, but they ended up clashing over musical direction (he wanted to write the band’s songs and control them) so they split after the demo recording.

Michael Bolton- The singer people love to hate, especially because of “Office Space”, but truth be told, he’s got some good stuff and a great voice. I’m a big fan of his stuff from the first “Blackjack” album he did back in ’79 (which was a Journey/Bad Company type of band) and his early solo stuff (great melodic hard rock) and I even enjoy some of his more popular ballads. I’m a Michael Bolton fan. It was a long progression for me, starting with his Kiss co-write, moving to his Blackjack work with Bruce Kulick from Kiss, to his early rock solo stuff, to his transition album between ballads and rockers, to finally the full-fledged adult contemporary stuff. It’s good stuff and I have no shame in admitting it.

Milli Vanilli- Overall, actually, I don’t care for them, but “Girl You Know Its True” has an awesome bridge and chorus. And the single that Rob & Fab released using their real voices, “Let’s Get It On”, is actually a really cool r&b song. Yeah, pre-packaged corporate garbage, I know, but a ton of music is pre-packaged by corporations. Most of it’s bad, but on occasion some of it is enjoyable, and I have no qualms with Rob & Fab trying to use their real voices and establish themselves as credible musicans.

The Outlaws- Very cool underrated southern rock band. Saw them live and fell in love with the band. Tons of cool stuff. They somehow succeed at being more country than Skynyrd and more rock than them at the same time. They mix the extremes more than Skynyrd did, at least before the crash.

Another long post. XD

Also, I must say, it's really nice to be able to talk about music and the other person knows all the same obscure stuff that I know. Very cool.  8)
« Last Edit: February 18, 2010, 04:40:42 pm by BearFrog »

Samopoznanie

• Enlightened One (+200)
  • Playing Upon the Strings of Emptiness
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 18, 2010, 05:47:04 pm »
Here comes another long post...
I didn't even know he released a new album a few years ago. The most "recent" thing I've heard of his is a demo dating back to the 80s for a proposed third installment of Rocky Horror called "Revenge of the Old Queen". The song was called "The Moon Drenched Shores of Transylvania" and I dug it a lot. I have an mp3 of it if you haven't heard it.
The O'Brien album was released about ten years ago - I've flirted with ordering it a number of times but not yet got around to it:  http://www.amazon.ca/Absolute-O-Brien-Richard/dp/B00000K29V/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1266521101&sr=8-5

I'd love to hear that 3rd RHPS leftover.  He was flirting with the idea of a third installment as recently as a few years ago, and even did a live performance of one song called 'Not Dead Yet' if I recall correctly.  Back when it had the title of 'Rocky Horror Shows His Heels.'
Pink Floyd without Roger Waters is simply uninteresting to me (I’m done after “The Final Cut”). I really dig “Dehumanizer” and especially dig the song “I” after seeing Heaven and Hell perform the song live.
I'd encourage you to revisit it, even if you think of it as a David Gilmour solo disc. (Speaking of which, 'On An Island' was quite good...).  There are a few real nice songs, especially 'High Hopes' :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBXmcN8uuaU

'Lost For Words' was nice too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBXmcN8uuaU

I tend to be more open to black sheep lineups than a lot of folks. I find they bring out different sounds in my favourite musicians.  That one-off Van Halen album with Gary Cherone on vocals is the only one of their albums I listen to these days - it's got Eddie's best playing since Fair Warning on it, even if the mix sucks and the drums sound like a limp dick on cardboard. Likewise, I enjoy a lot of the Black Sabbath stuff with Tony Martin on vocals - had the pleasure of meeting him and longtime Sab keyboard / rhythm guitarist Geoff Nichols in Russia a few years ago. They got me a guest pass after my ticket was stolen the day before the show!
Some excellent music came out of that decade, but for the most part it was pretty disappointing.
For me the biggest disappointment with the stuff that's come out since the mid nineties has been the lack of fun to the music. I trash the popular metal stuff of the 80s, but the music - and the movies too, and video games... a lot of media - had a real sense of fun about it and didn't take things so deathly serious or angsty as a lot of groups do today.   Even the outrageous colourful outfits they wore onstage had a sense of kitsch about them.  More melodic too - not as much cookie monster vocals. 
The bands were starting to evolve and morph into some new and interesting places, but grunge nipped that in the bud, and since then bands like that haven’t been able to find much mainstream success.
Probably you've heard Cinderella - that's essentially the story Kenny Aronoff (one of the best session guys in the business) gave us at a drum clinic a few years ago.  He played on the album Still Climbing, and said it was one of his favourites that he'd done, but only about six people bought it after Grunge hit. 

Aronoff is great, btw.  If you've not looked him up, check out his site.  The guy is super laid back, and a great teacher - I've seen a number of drum clinics (Mike Mangini, Jimmy DeGrasso, Pat Mastelleto(sp?), etc) but as a non-drummer, I definitely learned the most from Ken.  He'd explain the challenge of coming up with different drumming approaches for 10 songs that all go at the same pace, back during his long stint with Mellancamp, which was pretty funny.   :lol:  Even the Avril LaVigne albums, he's added some great parts to.  I think he was with John Fogerty's band last I checked.

Aronoff did a lot of the drums for Meat Loaf in the 90s too, including Bat Out Of Hell II.  :D
And I do like the new album a lot too.
I like it better than I do Revenge / Carnival, surprisingly.  Again, I think it's what I mentioned with the 80s stuff. Those two were pretty dark albums, whereas this one's just good fun.
Are you referring to when he was in the band for the “Thunder and Lightning” album or the current lineup where he leads Lizzy?
Yeah, I was thinking of the current lineup.  They sound fine, just don't do much for me.  Not a big Lizzy fan.  I enjoy Black Rose, but that's about it.
Agree that the rest are underrated and I haven’t heard Manzarek’s solo debut. I also want to hear the couple post-Morrison albums they recorded, just for curiosity’s sake.
The post-Morrison albums are okay, but more of a showcase for Manzarek and Kreiger's influences - it sounds a lot like old time rock and roll in places, definitely not Jim.  I used to have them both but lost them during a move.  My favourite song from those two was probably Tightrope Ride:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_X2oPFRR0Q

I really like Manzarek, one of the more respectable guys in rock and roll. The solo album I mentioned has a lot more of a Doors-ish vibe to it. Pretty dated, but given our tastes, it shouldn't be a problem! 'Solar Boat' has a few lyrical references to Morrison in it, even:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4PBoAedWVA

I used to have John Densmore's Tribal Jazz stuff on my old cpu... didn't really care for it though.

And yeah, I heard about that show but haven’t seen it.
Just do a youtube questi f you like... it was Pro-Shot, or there's an audio recording from the soundboard if you're into the bootleg scene.  I collected shows for years (via the post, before torrents took over!) and had a couple dozen Sabbath ones at one point. 
I didn’t get into music until my first concert at age 14. I would always listen to music on the radio and say, “This is so bad. Why do people like music? Music sucks.” The only music I liked was The Beatles, Ozzy Osbourne, Pink Floyd, Queen, Michael Jackson, old lullabies from my childhood and video game/cartoon music. And one Cher song.
For me it was about the same, I think it was grade seven or so that a friend's swimming coach lent him Led Zeppelin IV.  I was a retro act from then on.  Mind you, I'd already gotten into a fair bit of stuff before then, just from Weird Al Yankovic.  I loved his stuff as a kid, and still have a lot of respect for the guy.  And his music introduced me to quite a range of artists, as I'd go to the library and track down CDs by the groups he was parodying.
Oh, and I checked out your prior post in this thread. Some cool stuff in that post.
Thanks!  It's always good to run into someone else who's heavy into music.  :D I'm a big fan of Carmine Appice btw - one of the first heavy drummers out there.  Check out the latest from Vanilla Fudge if you've not already.  They did a great Zep tribute album called 'Out Through The In Door.'  Carmine's one of the only guys who could do justice to Bonham's drum parts.

I've meant to get into Prince and The Outlaws, so it would be cool if you could point me in the direction of some albums - maybe bearing in mind that my ears aren't so friendly to 80s production! Can't help it, the snare sound on some of those records gets to me.  :lol:

BearFrog

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 19, 2010, 04:03:12 am »
Here’s the Rocky Horror track:

http://www.yousendit.com/download/RmNCeFVUTStubVZFQlE9PQ

And rather than fill up a page with messy quotes:

-I actually appreciate various band eras for the same reason as you do, and I own a Tony Martin era Sabbath disc and enjoy the stuff. I even own Van Halen III, and “Without You” is one of my favorite Van Halen songs. So I’m totally with you on that one, I just never really liked the music of post-Waters Floyd. I gave those tracks a listen after being away from them for years and I didn’t hate them, but they didn’t blow my mind either. They’re really “meh”. And I’ve heard good things about Waters solo but haven’t had a chance to check it out.

-That was sortof the entire reason I formed a band, so that I could make some fun rock n’ roll music. If you look in the picture thread, you’ll see a picture of me performing live in a very over-the-top and colorful outfit. I agree with you completely about the 80s in that there was a lot more fun in that decade. Granted, I like serious things too (like Final Fantasy VII), but I think that there needs to be a balance and the balance is way too one-sided towards seriousness since the 90s.

-Still Climbing is my favorite Cinderella album. Great great album. Fantastic. Favorite song off it is “Through The Rain”. Real shame that album didn’t get the recognition it deserves. A lot of bands thought that they would just release quality albums and the music would speak for itself, but radio and MTV turned rabid against those bands and it’s a real shame.

-Revenge is the, in my opinion, the most overrated Kiss album. I don’t necessarily consider it to be that dark of an album and think it mostly contains the fun, rockin’ Kiss, but I do think that album has A LOT of filler. It may have more attitude and edge than a lot of their 80s stuff, but those albums I like more as whole albums than Revenge. Way too much filler.

-I actually really dug those Doors and Manzarek links, and overall I like Manzarek, but he REALLY disappointed me with that “Riders on the Storm” project with that guy from Fuel fronting essentially a reunited Doors (though John Densmore graciously decided not to participate in the travesty). The guy, I think his name is Brett Scallions, was TERRIBLE. He came off as a total jackass and butchered classic after classic. It was the only concert I’ve ever left early.

-Weird Al’s cool.

-Never really had a big obsession with Zeppelin. Always thought they were good and influenced just about every band I like, but never got into them too heavily.

-With Prince, well, Prince is going to sound overly 80s no matter what. I started with Purple Rain and had to sit on that album for a while to truly appreciate it, but it’s his best album. I’d maybe suggest starting off with a few of these songs and then checking out Purple Rain:

Little Red Corvette
http://video.libero.it/app/play/?id=5acfc0ed0eb2c70032885d28ccb71efe

I Feel For You (later covered by Chaka Khan)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtzweq-yYdw

Raspberry Beret
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxQwUuAIebE

I Would Die 4 U (off of Purple Rain---extremely 80s but killer vocal performance)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7d5CPh72lo0

-As far as The Outlaws go, you generally don’t have to worry about 80s production as the band’s primary output was in the 70s (much like Lynyrd Skynyrd). Personally, I think “Lady in Waiting” is a good album to start with as the first side of the album is all killer (not as big on side B, but side A is just amazing). That’s an album I only have on record because I haven’t gotten around to buying a CD of it, but it’s a really cool album. I’d honestly suggest a greatest hits to start you off with The Outlaws, and I’m usually not a proponent of compilations, but I think it’s a good way to start off with them. Here are the band’s three biggest hits:

The Outlaws- There Goes Another Love Song
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5ptavYnUBM

The Outlaws- Green Grass and High Tides (the band’s answer to Freebird)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R82OM5tzcrk

The Outlaws- Ghost Riders In The Sky
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFjqlx8eSfQ

And this one is one I’ve been digging lately, a cool little album cut:

The Outlaws- Ain’t So Bad
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxmsJ6o6HnM

They’re another one of those “multiple singer” bands, even though Hughie Thomasson’s vocals are considered the band’s signature sound.

neo-fusion

• Fan Project Leader
  • Mystical Knight (+700)
  • Creator of Chrono Trigger Apocalypse... FEAR ME
    • View Profile
    • Neo-Fusion
« Reply #58 on: February 19, 2010, 11:39:01 pm »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTCLgw6Zdqk&feature=PlayList&p=4E4FCFF11A7B3993&index=34 

A unique blend of techno/trance with strings and some vocals. This song is beautiful.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xk6e8al-mHQ&feature=PlayList&p=4E4FCFF11A7B3993&index=19

The most epic battle track I have ever heard. No track has the build up and follow through that this does. It may be my favorite VG song of all time. The violins are so great and so dramatic. This is a must listen.

BearFrog

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 20, 2010, 12:24:03 am »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTCLgw6Zdqk&feature=PlayList&p=4E4FCFF11A7B3993&index=34 

A unique blend of techno/trance with strings and some vocals. This song is beautiful.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xk6e8al-mHQ&feature=PlayList&p=4E4FCFF11A7B3993&index=19

The most epic battle track I have ever heard. No track has the build up and follow through that this does. It may be my favorite VG song of all time. The violins are so great and so dramatic. This is a must listen.

The first track didn't do too much for me, but I dug the piano melody. The second track I liked more, pretty cool and I dig the Eastern influences, but I could probably list 10 battle thmes I like better. Not to say I don't like it, I do, but there are others I simply like more.