Author Topic: Star Trek  (Read 6041 times)

Agent 12

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
Star Trek
« on: May 08, 2009, 02:23:09 am »
I got to see an early showing of star trek today.  I really loved it.  Sure I have a weird fascination with JJ Abrams but I think it was more than that.  It was a great mix of action and humor.  Maybe not too much character development but well you can watch the show to see the character development?

Which brings me to my point.  I'd like to know the opinion of all the trekkies out there was this a good movie?  Does it accurately depict the show (i.e. if I liked the movie will like the show, is the show better than th emovie, or is the movie better than the show).  The biggest shocker to me was the humor, but I dont know if that's just JJ Abrams of if star trek was that funny he always does a fantastic job with putting humor in non humorous situations.

I'm debating watching a little star trek cause of this but well.......thats a huge commitment both in time and with my social standing among my friends.  I'm already by far the nerdiest person in my group ;)

--JP

RedNeckJiuJitsu

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
Re: Star Trek
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2009, 02:53:55 am »
JJ Abrams is awesome. I haven't gotten into Lost, mainly because I can't get into another show right now, but I regularly go back and chain-smoke through all 5 seasons of Alias. I haven't see the new ST movie yet, budget being a big part of that, but I want to. I remember I used to like watching some of the old ST TV shows and movies. I thought they were entertaining. I can't speak for much on either side of Next Generation, though.

KebreI

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • A true man never dies, even when he's killed
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2009, 02:57:14 am »
ST:TOS has always been very campy, so it wasn't JJ Abrams exactly, although he did a great job implementing it in to a still serious movie. I am not a huge trekkie but I am a fan. I would especially say the casting was spot on for every one, save Kirk. I do really mean spot on, every one didn't just mimic there predecessors, they took the characters and made them there own.  At the same time they knew the precedents the gimmicks of the series and used them ("Damn it Jim I'm a Doctor! Not a ______."). Chris Pine, who played James Tiberius Kirk, didn't do a bad job at all but I felt that he created an all new Kirk. The old Kirk would bend the rules, he would put others before himself at all times, he was also a real ladies man, and he knew what to do for the greater good. Pine fit all these perfectly but he did something to lose that charm that charisma, which I can only pin on him being young. 10/10

Agent 12

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2009, 03:05:19 am »
Red, you should watch Lost....it's awesome.

Since I do want people to talk about the movie in this thread (especially in comparison to the TV show or other movies) feel free to put spoilers just mark them

SPOILERS BELOW

Obviously since I didn't watch the show I can' know for sure, but I feel like it's partially explained by it being an alternate reality right?  In this new reality he came out as more of a rebel  and didn't immediately become captain of the enterprise cause of it, atleast that was the jist I got out of spock's little time travel speech, he seemed genuinely surprised that his younger self was captain instead of kirk.  Sounds like you watched TOS, would you say it's still watchable now?  I have tried to watch some of the older sci fi and it just hasn't aged well...For example I tried to watch the original battlestar after getting into galactica and i just couldn't do it.

--JP

« Last Edit: May 08, 2009, 03:08:30 am by jsondag2 »

KebreI

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2009, 03:18:21 am »
I would recommend watching the original version or the most resent revamp of it(as the other revamps look like crappy CGI). As far as how it will hold up, TOS is very episodic, so you'll have a mix of some of the worst scenes to ever grace television and some of the best still. I would still recommend TOS but no more or less to you even if you haven't seen the movie. Both stand formidably on there own and really don't need each other, yet combine beautifully together.

<SPOILERS>

As for Kirk, I do understand that his new situation is the reasoning behind his new character. Its not bad at all, in fact it makes complete sense, except a lot of other where severally changed as well(Uhura, Scotty, Spock) and they didn't experience that large of a new characterization. I do think that a more 'badboy' captain is well received now then was then. Once again I do like Pine's take just as much as Shatner's, but for very different reasons.

Samopoznanie

• Enlightened One (+200)
  • Playing Upon the Strings of Emptiness
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2009, 04:08:54 am »
Hardly a Trekkie here, but I enjoy the occasional dose. The series up to (and including) DS9 had some great imaginative - and thoughtful - episodes along the way. You don't really get much of that in mainstream TV these days.

I think early Shatner is a lot fun, whether it's The Trouble With Tribbles, or one of his early movies - like 'Incubus', where he speaks entirely in Esperanto. I generally liked the films with Shatner & Co., save for the first one (boring!) and the fifth (just plain bad!). I never did see 'Generations' from the mid-90s though. Really enjoyed 'First Contact' when it came out. I remember seeing it multiple times. Then 'Insurrection' hit the screens and just killed the franchise for me! :picardno

After TNG ended though, I thought things went downhill. Thought Voyager was a lame attempt to appeal to both feminists (w/ Janeway) and teen viewers (w/ the Barbie Borg, as we'd call her). The last series, Enterprise, I watched one episode and it did nothing for me.

Haven't really looked into the new movie yet. I'm on the fence as far as reinventing the old cast goes, and worry that there might be too much CGI.

HyperNerd

• Springtime of Youth
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • In Guardia we trust
    • View Profile
    • Surreal Squad homepage
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2009, 12:32:32 pm »
I'm going to see it tonight, and I'm a huge fan of the original series, not so much TNG...

One thing that kind of bothers me is that Shatner wasn't invited at all, not even for a cameo or something...

Whatever.

I'll have more to compare it too once I actually SEE it.

Delta Dragon

• Creative Emeritus
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2009, 02:25:00 pm »
Gosh I hope I see it in the next few days.  It's getting to the point where I've been waiting for this for like over a year and now it's finally out and I need to get down to a theater.

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2009, 03:24:46 pm »
Oh, if someone's going to watch the original series, start out with "Balance of Terror."

But The Next Generation is really the pinnacle of Star Trek IMO. I haven't seen the new movie yet, but I'm sorta grossed out that Spock and Uhura get it on, or at least that's what I heard somewhere. Seems completely out of character.

KebreI

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2009, 04:32:52 pm »
They have one kiss, and it completely one sided.

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2009, 05:45:36 pm »
That's reassuring.

ZaichikArky

• Mystical Knight (+700)
    • View Profile
    • Livejournal
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2009, 03:20:56 am »
Yeah I saw this today and it was so exciting! The acting and story were so good. I think that Kirk was a little out of character. In the original series, he was more of a gentleman, in this movie he's more of a punk.  Other than that, everything was just so superbly done.

One thing that kind of bothers me is that Shatner wasn't invited at all, not even for a cameo or something...

Yeah, that was kind of strange but I guess that they couldn't find a reason for him to be in the movie. I mean with Nimoy, they made him travel back in time. There wouldn't be a good reason for Kirk to do that. But I guess Shatner was insulted he wasn't invited. I guess he's just going to have to keep sticking with priceline for now XD.

Delta Dragon

• Creative Emeritus
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2009, 12:30:21 pm »
They have one kiss, and it completely one sided.
Actually there are two, and the second wasn't one sided.
Saw it yesterday and it was if not the best definitely one of the best Star trek movies in existence.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2009, 12:32:28 pm by Delta Dragon »

rushingwind

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Squaretable Knight (+400)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2009, 03:12:01 am »
I absolutely loved it.  True to the original characters, but fresh and exciting in the way the movie plays.  I've seen it twice already, and that's saying something for me.

My only nitpick was the Spock/Uhura thing.  WTF? 

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2009, 10:44:51 am »
Uhura had a crush on her teacher and Spock responded in kind when he was having a mental break down. It made sense to me, at least.

What didn't make any sense was promoting a cadet (who hadn't even graduated yet) to Captain of the flagship.