Author Topic: Star Trek  (Read 6149 times)

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
Re: Star Trek
« Reply #45 on: May 15, 2009, 01:27:18 pm »
I'm watching TOS and it is probably the creepiest series I've ever seen.

It's great, though.

Same. I don't know about creepiest but it is VERY creepy. It's odd how solid the characters are in the beginning though. I've seen all the original cast movies and they're almost the exact same as the first episode of the show. Obviously they knew their shit.

placidchap

• Temporal Warrior (+900)
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 15, 2009, 02:22:51 pm »
Yes, it was Voyager. It was called "Species 326(or some random number). They were central for one of the story arcs and their role in fighting the borg, etc. They could have done a lot more with them...

It was TNG.  http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/Two-dimensional_lifeform

I haven't seen all of Voyager, but I believe the species you are thinking of came from a universe where space was a fluid rather than a vacuum...or something like that.  But I don't believe they were 2-D

ZaichikArky

• Mystical Knight (+700)
    • View Profile
    • Livejournal
« Reply #47 on: May 15, 2009, 07:49:51 pm »
I read that as "non humanoid". but apparently species 8472 exist in a separate dimension- http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/gallery/stmagazine/8472-prey.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Species_8472

Delta Dragon

• Creative Emeritus
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 15, 2009, 08:14:25 pm »
Yeah it was a rare thing to have a non humanoid alien.  One of the reasons I liked species 8472.  With all the times they run into them you'd think they would have learned the actual name of the species.

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 16, 2009, 12:27:00 am »
Yeah it was a rare thing to have a non humanoid alien.  One of the reasons I liked species 8472.  With all the times they run into them you'd think they would have learned the actual name of the species.

They probably had no name, just "us" or their name had no translation. I find stuff like that to be kind of cop-outish. They could have called them tripods or something, anything really. They named Reavers in Firefly and supposedly nobody alive ever saw one, plus they didn't seem to talk much. I don't think they named themselves. I'm just saying it could have been done. Naming something "Species <Number>" is confusing and arbitrary.

Delta Dragon

• Creative Emeritus
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 16, 2009, 04:27:00 pm »

They probably had no name, just "us" or their name had no translation. I find stuff like that to be kind of cop-outish. They could have called them tripods or something, anything really. They named Reavers in Firefly and supposedly nobody alive ever saw one, plus they didn't seem to talk much. I don't think they named themselves. I'm just saying it could have been done. Naming something "Species <Number>" is confusing and arbitrary.
They did that in Freespace too.  The main bad guys are the Shivans, but they have no way of communicating with them so they just assigned a name.

HyperNerd

• Springtime of Youth
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • In Guardia we trust
    • View Profile
    • Surreal Squad homepage
« Reply #51 on: May 27, 2009, 09:24:56 pm »
If it wasn't for Star Trek, I'd probably be dead now...

ONSLAUGHT

• Springtime of Youth
  • Crono + Panda = WTF Run!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 28, 2009, 05:43:48 pm »
Alright, I saw it awhile ago and am surprised now it's coming(saw openign night).
So here's my thoughts.
Good, very good. Leanord Nimoy, great addition.
Uhura seemed kinda, well like nothing more than a sexual attraction. She got to make out with Spock, be eye candy, and strip. Not much else except complain.
Action sequences were amazing but I must say Kirk seemed to have a thing for flying over cliffs and grabbing the ledges desparately climbing to safety. Did that A LOT.
Great movie overall, highly recommend it.
One last thing I must mention since no one has. Me and my friends sat til the credits to mess around and I noticed something downright hilarious as the credits rolled by. Not sure HOW much they helped but none the less guess who helped make and produce the movie? I'll give you one hint.
STAR WARS. :lol:

deviant_ambition

• Guardian (+100)
  • "Reality is irrelevant; Perception is everything."
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #53 on: May 30, 2009, 03:26:59 am »
I thoroughly enjoyed this movie.  As for the Kirk's lack of "Kirk-ness",

**SPOLIER****SPOILER**
I believe it was due to the loss of his father in the alternate dimension we view in the movie.
**ENDSPOILER****ENDSPOILER**

However, I liked the new Kirk.  He was pretty badass, and although he was arrogant, he had reasons for it.  He...really was that great.  Especially with Spock's "unbeatable" test.  I laughed, and loved the movie.

KebreI

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • A true man never dies, even when he's killed
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 30, 2009, 05:37:10 am »
However, I liked the new Kirk.  He was pretty badass, and although he was arrogant, he had reasons for it.  He...really was that great.  Especially with Spock's "unbeatable" test.  I laughed, and loved the movie.
The kobayashi maru has been a long time part of Star Trek and Kirk did the exact same thing too, so it isn't new. I dunno if I like every main characters in movies being badass, it dilutes the badassery.

ONSLAUGHT

• Springtime of Youth
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 30, 2009, 12:16:53 pm »
I wouldn't say badass. The word is overused nowadays. It originally was meaning someone who does things in a bad way more often than meaning like evil villainous but they have good intentions.

Then it started getting into slang and now it just means a tough guy or something that's really cool.

Kirk, awesome? Yes.
Badass? No.

Delta Dragon

• Creative Emeritus
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 30, 2009, 08:19:53 pm »
I wouldn't say badass. The word is overused nowadays. It originally was meaning someone who does things in a bad way more often than meaning like evil villainous but they have good intentions.

Then it started getting into slang and now it just means a tough guy or something that's really cool.

Kirk, awesome? Yes.
Badass? No.
YES!  Someone finally said it!

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #57 on: May 31, 2009, 01:21:52 pm »
Perhaps "kickass" would be more appropriate...? I haven't seen the new movie, but I hear that with a bit of emotional unbalance Spock is indeed a bit of a badass...

Who ARE the badasses in the ST 'verse?...Seven? :?

ONSLAUGHT

• Springtime of Youth
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 31, 2009, 03:52:34 pm »
Not sure if you'd call Spock badass although of the crew yeah he's the closest there is to one. The one counter to him being the badass is that look at badasses. They don't get the high grades and and rich lives. Most certainly don't get the girl either(more often than not by their own choice since they don't care for romantic relationships). Kirk apparantly gets girls. And Spock's with Uhura plus having the rich family and getting loads of the stuff. Personality Spock's got but he's got the advantages most don't.

And recently I found this which might help further how this was made by Star Wars people and I found hilarious.

SPOILERS MAY AWAIT!!!
http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1910892

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 02, 2011, 09:42:26 pm »
Reviving thread. I'm spending tonight studying more about Zen Buddhism and its history, and came across http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zen_and_the_Art_of_Motorcycle_Maintenance, whose main thrust seemed to be an incorporation of humanity's romantic and rational sides, like a humanist philosophy that embraces both.

I wondered then if this is a strong link between the book and Star Trek: The Motion Picture, and whether Roddenberry might have read it. To try and make the briefest summary of TMP's meaning, as I currently understand it:

The Motion Picture champions humanity's ability to derive meaning from a meaningless universe, a function possibly granted by its irrational, romantic, frail biological functioning and origin. It's also perahps a very strong romanticization of sentience, consciousness, and the "humanity" unique to our species. V'Ger represents the rational, and Decker, the human and romantic; they merge.