Author Topic: September 11 Attacks 10th Anniversary  (Read 831 times)

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
September 11 Attacks 10th Anniversary
« on: September 07, 2011, 01:40:54 am »
We already have a September 11 thread, but nightmare975 keeps it locked most of the time, and the 10th anniversary perhaps warrants its own venue for discussion. I know that, despite all those slogans of "never forget," ten years--though arbitrary--is probably the last time that the public at large will closely and keenly reflect upon that day. I think that will be true for me too, and I think it appropriate. Life, after all, goes on.

I recount my experiences from that day in nightmare's thread. The Los Angeles Times has published a lengthy collection of other people's reminiscences. You can listen to the last moments of somebody who was trapped inside the tower when it fell, or reflect upon the imagery of someone whose last choice was to jump to death rather than be burned to death.

The last ten years have been a lost decade economically, and politically. We are no better off here, nor are the parts of the world we invaded. That doesn't change the fact that ten years ago religious extremists committed an act of war against us. We were not up to the challenge. We did not have just leaders, nor was the public wise.

I myself, and every American whom I have ever heard recount that day, felt as though it was an earth-shattering event. We are perhaps spoiled in that regard, for other nations live with greater uncertainty and closer violence on a regular basis. Osama bin Laden's attack was the most dramatically impressive terrorist attack against the United States in its history, and the deadliest, but it was relatively small on its own merits. We, ourselves, stirred the destructive goliath who went on to undermine our own liberties, whip up religious zeal, and wreck two countries.

A historic day, not only for what transpired then but for what came after. We are still at war against terror, but our enemy is ill-defined and we ourselves are in disarray. The leading activists of the right wing would have us attack indiscriminately and bring destruction upon us all. The leading activists of left wing would have us appease an implacable enemy and therein invite our own doom. We are a nation in turmoil. Ten years later the site is still not rebuilt. Our economic straits are worse. Our actions in the Middle East have helped unravel our power over the globe.

Many of you wish we could all just get along together and live as a single humanity. That's a noble sentiment, but it denies the simple reality that there are those in our own country, and those afar, who have no intention of ever letting that come to pass. What then?

September 11, 2001 was one of those days when the nation stood still. A small disaster in the grand scheme of things--especially compared with tsunamis, famines, and civil wars--but one whose symbolic power etched itself into the psyche of Americans. I really appreciated the feeling of sincere cooperativeness which prevailed immediately thereafter, and I'm sorry it didn't last.

In that long and interminable struggle, a significant victory looms near on the horizon: We'll soon be able to once again wear our shoes through airport security. Terrorists, your days are numbered.

tushantin

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • Under Your Moonlight, Stealing Your Stars
    • View Profile
    • My Website
Re: September 11 Attacks 10th Anniversary
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2011, 08:46:08 am »
 :( Nice time to post that topic. I know this is irrelevant, but: http://www.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/asiapcf/09/07/india.court.blast/

I still remember that, as a kid, I watched the news on TV, the horrors being invoked in vision, scarring my mind for eternity. It wasn't just the USA stood still, but the world at large. Someone around dropped a Wada Pav, with his mouth agape, while another bumped into a wall with his focus caught by nearby screen. Even at school, where majority of the students were little racist bastards (us 10-year-olds like to make fun of people from another race), we realized the extremities of the situation and took moments of silence in respect. That was the day when we all embraced multi-racial folks as our brothers and sisters.

And I sat below a tree at the recess, pondering why someone would do such a thing.

Many of you wish we could all just get along together and live as a single humanity. That's a noble sentiment, but it denies the simple reality that there are those in our own country, and those afar, who have no intention of ever letting that come to pass. What then?
If they have no reason to join us, then they're free to live as they please. But that gives them no right to take arms against the innocent.

Then again, things get complicated here. Many Islamic terrorists don't simply attack because of their belief in Jihad (well, their beliefs contradict what's said in the Quran), rather because of the losses caused by the west. Many Americans still discriminate against the Muslims, and many Islamic families are lost when the west takes arms against someone or the other. That's when these crazy people develop a wound in their hearts and give no regard to their own life, and thus develop sheer hatred and the need for vengeance in the guise of Jihad.

But it is these people that actually end up brainwashing other, peaceful Muslims and turn them into more crazy people. Why? Because you're more likely to trust a family member than a stranger.

P.S.: Nevertheless, it's about time us civilians learn the art of Krav Maga. No more dying helplessly.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2011, 09:00:56 am by tushantin »