Author Topic: Serge = Janus Theory  (Read 25293 times)

Shadow_Dragon

• Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
Serge = Janus Theory
« Reply #30 on: May 01, 2005, 02:21:56 pm »
Just because the game makers deny something, that doesn't mean that they could've put what they denied into the video game subconsciously... however, I don't think this is the case with Serge/Janus, since, besides Kid's obsession with Serge, there's no evidence (and I've given up my theory of Serge's being found).

I think that Serge is actually the opposite of Janus... I think that Janus wouldn't want Schala to move on and find other people and selfishly would want her to only have feelings for him... I dunno if that made sense, but I get annoyed when my sister would rather spend her time while she's home with her fiance than me (she goes to college with him)

By the way, what happened to Wazuki in Home World? Fate no longer existed, so did Wazuki never turn into Lynx? I forget if he turned into Lynx before or after drowning Serge

Sentenal

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
Serge = Janus Theory
« Reply #31 on: May 01, 2005, 05:44:55 pm »
He turned into Lynx in both worlds, I believe.  the Sea of Eden was turned into the dead sea after Lynx's point of creation was.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
Serge = Janus Theory
« Reply #32 on: May 01, 2005, 08:09:46 pm »
Yeah, he became Lynx, and ended up taking the entire Acacia Dragoon Outfit into the Dead Sea to become frozen in time. The prevailing theory is that since Chronopolis lost control over Home World, it wanted to eliminate the most volatile forces that could change history, and thus directed Home Lynx to get them out of the picture.

Shadow_Dragon

• Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
Serge = Janus Theory
« Reply #33 on: May 02, 2005, 12:45:44 am »
that makes sense, but then what became of Lynx? and of Kid, for that matter... Lynx must've attacked the orphanage sometime after the dimensional split, or else he wouldn't have been Lynx, so did he do it in both worlds?

Sentenal

• View Profile
Serge = Janus Theory
« Reply #34 on: May 02, 2005, 01:04:37 am »
not sure about Kid, but you see the frozen images of Lynx and the Dragoons in the Dead Sea.

Chrono'99

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
Serge = Janus Theory
« Reply #35 on: May 02, 2005, 08:35:45 am »
Quote from: Sentenal
not sure about Kid, but you see the frozen images of Lynx and the Dragoons in the Dead Sea.

Really? I don't remember seeing Lynx.

As for Home Kid, I believe Masato Kato said somewhere she's hanging around in Zenan. Someone in Arni also mentions the Radical Dreamers I think (maybe it's in Another World though, I don't remember).

Sentenal

• View Profile
Serge = Janus Theory
« Reply #36 on: May 02, 2005, 05:24:28 pm »
i know the dragoons are there, but i might be wrong about Lynx.

Zaperking

• Radical Dreamer (+2000)
    • View Profile
Serge = Janus Theory
« Reply #37 on: May 02, 2005, 06:34:00 pm »
Yeah, I never saw Lynx there either.

Shadow_Dragon

• Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
Serge = Janus Theory
« Reply #38 on: May 02, 2005, 09:32:26 pm »
Quote from: Chrono'99
Quote from: Sentenal

Really? I don't remember seeing Lynx.

As for Home Kid, I believe Masato Kato said somewhere she's hanging around in Zenan. Someone in Arni also mentions the Radical Dreamers I think (maybe it's in Another World though, I don't remember).

I always thought that they were just paranoid of the Radical Dreamers (like they were against Dark Serge), and thought it was some eleborate organization when it was just Kid.. but it could be that, in Home World, Kid actually has a large following of Radical Dreamers

So what happened to Lynx in Home World after he told the Dragoons to go to  the Dead Sea and hinted to the Porreans about the Frozen Flame?

Philosopher1701

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
Serge = Janus Theory
« Reply #39 on: May 03, 2005, 09:11:03 am »
I want to point out that in the secret room in Kajar in Chrono Trigger, the book lying on the table (supposedly written by Belthasar) states:

"All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu.
That is the truth....
That is my belief....
At least for now...."

I remember reading the article at this site titled "The Secret of Nu", and somebody said that in Egyptian and ancient Greek, Nu was supposed to mean water. If this is true, then it seems that Chrono Cross has continued this statement from Chrono Trigger. Maybe there is more of an importance to that book than we realize.

Shadow_Dragon

• Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
Serge = Janus Theory
« Reply #40 on: May 03, 2005, 07:10:56 pm »
i wish whoever came up with the translation (or if it's the same sound in japanese, then whoever first wrote it) of Nu, because it can mean new in dutch, naked in french, and water in ancient egyptian/greek if what philosopher heard was true

Daniel Krispin

Serge = Janus Theory
« Reply #41 on: May 04, 2005, 12:02:08 am »
He heard wrong. I checked it out on Encyclopedia Mythica, and Nu is indeed an ancient water-deity. However, due to its obscurity, I would wager that it has absolutely no connection to those in Chrono Trigger. What he heard wrong is that it is Greek for water. I checked it up in the Liddel and Scott Lexicon, and nu (vu) appears to be a variant on the second case form of vuv, which is an adverb basically equivalent to our 'then' or 'thereafter.'

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
Serge = Janus Theory
« Reply #42 on: May 04, 2005, 12:43:54 am »
Oh, darn. These will be good notes for the revision of that article.

Radical_Dreamer

• Entity
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
    • The Chrono Compendium
Serge = Janus Theory
« Reply #43 on: May 04, 2005, 03:53:56 am »
Nu is also Yiddish for "so" (as in So?) although that is clearly not the definition most applicable to C.T.

Daniel Krispin

Serge = Janus Theory
« Reply #44 on: May 04, 2005, 04:02:21 am »
Quote from: ZeaLitY
Oh, darn. These will be good notes for the revision of that article.

Well, if you ever need to look up anything ancient Greek, the Liddell and Scott Lexicon is really good, although one would need to know the Greek alphabet. Most people don't have one, but fortunately there's a wonderful site, perseus or something to that effect (http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/cgi-bin/enggreek?lang=greek is the English to Greek translator), that has the entire Lexicon in its database, and you can cross reference words to usage and all that. Very nice site, and it can answer any question about an ancient Greek word, I should think.

As for the meaning of 'nu'... it's two letters. There are 21 consonants and 5 vowels in the English language. That makes for a total of 105 (210 if you reverse them) different vowel-consonant combonations. Not that many. Truly, I think it's just jibberish that the writer took a liking to. 'Rohan' in Lord of the Rings is the name of a French noble family - Tolkien just liked the word and borrowed it. Even he, who so often has thinly veiled allusions in his names (ie. Atalantė) uses names that have no further meaning. I don't think it far-fetched here.