Author Topic: I am programming savvy.  (Read 1812 times)

IAmSerge

• Temporal Warrior (+900)
    • View Profile
I am programming savvy.
« on: April 27, 2009, 12:27:30 am »
If anyone needs help with coding...?

I can do what I can.

I have a good knowledge of the fundamentals of programming, and I can read how a program works and I can change it.

the only problem is that I dont know really alot of languages....

I know a bit of Java,
and I worked with a program called Game Maker for a long time.

so if anyone needs anything or any help just ask and ill see what i can do...?

Talah Rama

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
Re: I am programming savvy.
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2009, 03:00:17 am »
:P

IAmSerge

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2009, 03:04:36 am »
:P?

Zephira

• Bounty Hunter
  • Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • You're not afraid of the dark, are you?...Are you?
    • View Profile
    • My deviantArt page
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2009, 12:06:02 pm »
Have you ever tried your hand at Temporal Flux? Event coding in TF is really one of the biggest parts of hacking here.

mav

• Magical Dreamer (+1250)
  • Gentleman Waiting in the Train Station at Twilight
    • View Profile
    • The RPG Realm
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2009, 12:53:50 pm »
Aye, give Temporal Flux a whirl, you might find yourself a great new hobby.

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2009, 03:21:59 pm »
A-hahahaha, yes, do give Temporal Flux a whirl. Event coding is the bread and butter of major Compendium projects, and your experience with Game Maker and programming in general probably gives you an edge.

I was also going to ask if you felt comfortable working with compression and decompression routines. In a few months I need to take account of where Chrono Cross editing capability is right now, and what extra tools we'll need in the near future.

IAmSerge

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2009, 10:46:12 pm »
I know completely how to code in computers and stuff but.. I don't understand how to 'code' in hex at all...

and compression and decompression? I have no idea what you're talking about, sorry but... I know how code works, not how it runs v.v

Ramsus

• Entity
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2009, 04:18:16 am »
I know completely how to code in computers and stuff but.. I don't understand how to 'code' in hex at all...

and compression and decompression? I have no idea what you're talking about, sorry but... I know how code works, not how it runs v.v

In other words, you know a few high-level languages, but you've never studied computer science or the analysis and development of algorithms.

This is a great opportunity to expand your horizons a little then, and unlock the world of low-level programming and software reverse-engineering. Learn how SNES and PSX architectures organize their memory and executable code, learn some 65c816 and MIPS assembly, and start modifying some games.

IAmSerge

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2009, 05:12:34 am »
Precisely.

I know all the ways that High level works.  I know just about nothing of low level and machine lang.

*ugh* it will be too much work right now.  Ive got finals and final grades coming up.

maybe after.

justin3009

• Fan Project Leader
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2009, 08:55:35 am »
You really should try it after finals and stuff.  It's actually really not that hard to work with.  Even a extreme beginner with me in that type of thing caught on in like, 2 days.

Chrono'99

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2009, 12:04:16 pm »

There's no hex involved in using Temporal Flux, so you should be fine  :) I don't know any programming language and I still managed to learn TF rather quickly.

IAmSerge

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2009, 02:59:46 pm »
no.. hex?

i thought that... you know all those pages that like...

with those 8 character long hex codes, i thought...?

similar to gameshark?

damn, ok then... maybe it shant be hard at all.

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2009, 03:34:22 pm »
Oh, yeah, event coding should work similar to high-level programming. And if you get the hang of that, you might even be interested in trying out tech coding with jsondag2's tech editor.

If you happen to be interested in studying Playstation architecture, there's Halkun's doc.

Agent 12

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2009, 04:15:45 pm »
It really depends on what you are here for....

If you want to make tools for people and you don't know/ it seems like possibly aren't interested in reverse engineering hex  you're probably in the wrong place because literally all it is is making a gui for hex editing and reverse engineering what different hex values correspond to.

If you are here for making rom hacks /helping people make rom hacks than TF is definitely higher level and up your alley and you're experience will probably give you an edge.

--JP

Ramsus

• Entity
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2009, 03:13:41 am »
no.. hex?

i thought that... you know all those pages that like...

with those 8 character long hex codes, i thought...?

similar to gameshark?

damn, ok then... maybe it shant be hard at all.

Most of the "hex codes" you see when it comes to reverse engineering or ROM hacking are just memory offsets where code and data is stored. Reverse engineering data formats also requires recognizing data structures based on what they look like in a hex editor a lot of the time, but that's a totally separate skill from modifying a program's code.

Instead, when modifying machine code or interpreted bytecode (the "coding" aspect of reverse engineering), rather than edit the binary opcodes in a hex editor, it's better to disassemble the binary opcodes into human readable form (that is, to turn them into plain text assembly language opcodes).

Probably the best tool to use is a debugger with a disassembler that let's you modify the program on the fly, mostly because you don't have to try and figure out what's code and what's data (it'll be obvious when you trace functions in the debugger), but also because then you don't have to mess with reassembling the assembly language code and overwriting the old binary with the newly assembled binary code and you can test the modified code immediately.

The only real reason to ever do any binary hacking of executable code by hand (in hexadecimal) is because you don't have any tools available yet or you don't have the time to make your own tools.

So really, it's no more difficult than regular assembly language programming, if not easier.