Author Topic: Vote for Chrono Trigger  (Read 8912 times)

Julford

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
Re: Vote for Chrono Trigger
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2009, 03:28:07 am »
*Looking at CC* Well, that one's a lost cause. It's up against Final Fantasy 9 AND Ocarina of Time. I don't know how well Half-Life will compare to Cross, but I don't see a Final Fantasy losing to Cross, let alone my favorite Final Fantasy >.>

Though on the topic of Pokémon, I'll just say that I've played through the Gold/Silver/Crystal series more than a dozen times on the original cartridges. Having two Gameboys, a copy of each one of those three, and a little brother to compete against made us fill out that Pokédex pretty thoroughly. I'm pretty sure we actually got the dex in Crystal up to like, 220/251, which is the closest I've ever gotten to a filled 'Dex. Ah, good times.

placidchap

• Temporal Warrior (+900)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2009, 08:33:51 am »
My prediction: Cross will lose to all 3 competitors.

ONSLAUGHT

• Springtime of Youth
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Crono + Panda = WTF Run!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2009, 10:54:38 am »
I dunno...
Ocarina Of Time? Of course.
Half-Life? MAYBE but then again you also have to keep in mind that in character battles, who's the person that just never seems to win despite extreme popularity? Cross I'm keeping hope for.
Final Fantasy I think it stands a chance against. Often many people believe that they've skipped numbers before(namely because as good as they are they're not universally agreed to be good and therefore forgotten). Final Fantasy 9 happens to be one of the FFs that people forget exist. Afterall the main character actually has a personality! :P And an original one!

Shinrin

• Chrono Trigger Threads of Time
  • Squaretable Knight (+400)
  • Chrono Trigger Fan # 100
    • View Profile
    • Shinrin Cole
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2009, 11:31:57 am »
while the CC has a IRC channel, I can't connect to it with my IRC client.

I like to learn how to do this, most places are easy but this one doesn't wanna work.

HyperNerd

• Springtime of Youth
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • In Guardia we trust
    • View Profile
    • Surreal Squad homepage
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2009, 12:20:51 pm »
Both, the game came out very soon after 64, had excellent graphics, fantastic gameplay, tons of minigames, quirky dialouge and a really awesome sequel on n64.

Then they took it over to Xbox360 and it became UGH.

Jutty

• Black Wind Agent (+600)
  • The Most In-Frequent Poster Ever
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2009, 06:08:52 am »
This poll fails. Final Fantasy VIII 41.28% over both Xenogears and Starcraft. Really?

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2009, 10:18:03 am »
GameFAQs Popularity=Awareness x Douchebags2

Solve for: Who Gives a Fuck.

CelestialPhantasm

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2009, 07:47:12 am »
This poll fails. Final Fantasy VIII 41.28% over both Xenogears and Starcraft. Really?

I must confess that I voted for Final Fantasy VIII, and what's bad about that is that I've never played Xenogears (which I've heard is an excellent game, and I would like to play it someday) or Starcraft (no idea)

But! Final Fantasy VIII is my very favorite FF, and I've played enough of III, IV, VI, and VII, IX and X for that to be worth something.

I just voted for Chrono Cross of course, and it does look quite bad.  I have at least played all of the games except Half-life.  OoT is great, but it's really not half as interesting as Majora's Mask.  I think Final Fantasy IX is fairly boring and cliché (though I'm aware the latter was intentional).  But most of the voters probably haven't played Chrono Cross, just as I haven't played Xenogears...  does anyone know if there's a german or french translation of Xenogears? I don't like playing videogames in English anymore.

IAmSerge

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2009, 05:36:21 pm »
Half Life is regarded as one of the best (if not THE best) FPS games to ever be created.  I have to agree, I've played it.

Then you have Ocarina Of Time, with all its fanboys *ugh im sick of them (not all of them but most of them are blind followers)*  Its story wasn't that amazing, but still no doubt a better game than the zeldas before it.

Then you have Final Fantasy, the series with the most Blind Followers in existance.  I played FFX, I, II, V, and VII.

X had the best story of the 5 (Though by far wasnt amazing), VII was uber-overrated (oh dear god, if I hear ONE more thing about sephiroth and his fangirls...), I sucked, II was OK, V was just lame, imo.

The fact that CC is a sequel will throw it into a paradox of sequels:

Original's fans get hyped up over the original, then expect way too much from the sequel, way too much being a level far beyond what the original even provides.  Doesn't meet standards, they throw out uber-low ratings and then inform their friends that it sucked, so that alot of people havent played it, some people just hate it, and the rest of us love it.

Half Life will beat it for a good reason (It was a great game indeed).

OOT is going to beat it because EVERYONE played it.

FF is going to beat it because of Blind Followers, mostly (no offense to Celestial).

CC is underrated.

oh, and gamefaqs: some boards are good, some boards are horrid, and the main set of users are breaking TOS by having an account (aka less than 13).

..jk about the less than 13 thing, but theres alot of younger kids out there that have never played the classics anyways.

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2009, 10:56:10 pm »
Then you have Ocarina Of Time, with all its fanboys *ugh im sick of them (not all of them but most of them are blind followers)*  Its story wasn't that amazing, but still no doubt a better game than the zeldas before it.

I don't think any of Miyamoto's games were ever really about amazing storylines...in fact, they were all mostly incredibly cliché Princess saving journeys...Link's never-ending fetch-quests I haven't really ever gone into thinking, "Wow, this is gonna be a great story because it's Zelda!"...It's about the gameplay. I'm a LttP fan myself though, but OoT really polished a lot of the aspects that LttP brought to the fore and added a lot of elements that are now standard Zelda fare.

Then you have Final Fantasy, the series with the most Blind Followers in existance.  I played FFX, I, II, V, and VII.

X had the best story of the 5 (Though by far wasnt amazing), VII was uber-overrated (oh dear god, if I hear ONE more thing about sephiroth and his fangirls...), I sucked, II was OK, V was just lame, imo.

It's hard to judge such a long-running series based on less than half of the games...Especially the earlier installments, which you have to keep in mind the era in gaming in which they originally came out and factor that in...This is especially difficult to do with the Final Fantasy series because it's really not a series so much as a string of games with loose ties (mostly just similar elements & themes)...Each game is different. I think that's also part of the draw of the series. Each one is a completely new adventure, yet you know that (most of the time) the same people are behind the creation so you're going to get something akin to the one you played in some manner. Most of the time (but not always) people's first FF is their fav and I think that they stick with the series hoping to recreate some of that magic down the line (or perhaps just to compare & contrast).

As for CC...I think it gets balanced by hardcore fans that have played it and people that just stumbled upon it with no prior knowledge of CT...It was a good RPG, but it had its flaws. Too many for me to even think about putting it on a Best Game Ever list, surely...I would probably barely put it on a Best RPG Ever list...But it might depend on what you're after, I realize...Character Development is key to me (it is a ROLE Playing Game, after all, so I think the roles should be as defined as possible) so I say nay to CC as a Best game...

And, yes, I continue to hate this stupid back & forth BS that never really goes anywhere. Thanks GameFAQs~!! >_<

CelestialPhantasm

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2009, 06:15:20 am »
well, the characters in an RPG are one of the most important factors for me as well.  But I think CC has characters that are more likeable than those of most Final Fantasy games... I didn't really like anyone in FFVII a whole lot.  I like FFIV quite a bit, but now that I think about it, no character really stands out to me so much...  in FFVI I liked Locke, Setzer, and maybe Edgar... but still not as much as Kid, Nikki, Norris, Karsh, or Fargo, and I think those characters, among others, were well-developed enough. (and I know the silent protagonist technique is heavily criticized, but I LIKED playing as Serge)  Only FF VIII really did it for me with Laguna, Squall, and Zell- though I'll admit, FF VIII was my first Final Fantasy, as you said, V_Translanka.

IAmSerge

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2009, 11:01:44 pm »
Each one is a completely new adventure, yet you know that (most of the time) the same people are behind the creation so you're going to get something akin to the one you played in some manner.

Exactly why I stopped playing final fantasy. *shrug* I never really liked those games that much, and so after 5 games of not-that-amazing quality, I think it might be reasonable to assume, based upon what you said, that the rest of them arent that amazing either.

Not trying to turn what you said around on you... just trying to justify my viewpoint...

well, the characters in an RPG are one of the most important factors for me as well.  But I think CC has characters that are more likeable than those of most Final Fantasy games... I didn't really like anyone in FFVII a whole lot.  I like FFIV quite a bit, but now that I think about it, no character really stands out to me so much...  in FFVI I liked Locke, Setzer, and maybe Edgar... but still not as much as Kid, Nikki, Norris, Karsh, or Fargo, and I think those characters, among others, were well-developed enough. (and I know the silent protagonist technique is heavily criticized, but I LIKED playing as Serge)  Only FF VIII really did it for me with Laguna, Squall, and Zell- though I'll admit, FF VIII was my first Final Fantasy, as you said, V_Translanka.

Im going to have to agree with Celestial 100% here... Kid, Nikki, Norris, Karsh, Fargo, Lynx, Viper, Glenn, Riddel, Harle, etc... those characters were really well done, imo.

They might not have too much of a backstory (Fargo's a pirate, who used to be in love with a mermaid. Mermaid died, and lynx has also attacked his ship)  HOWEVER their roles throughout the story were very well portrayed by their accent and their dialogue.

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2009, 06:18:05 am »
That was actually one point that kind of didn't hold the most water because the creative team has changed a bit over the years for the FF series...They do try to keep a few of the basics the same, but mostly I see them try a lot of new things with each FF and really kind of take risks with the series...

I only see Kid & Harle as really well developed characters and none of the rest of the cast get near as much unique dialog as they did. Maybe I expect more out of Cross after getting really great casts with both Trigger & Radical Dreamers, but even those characters you two mentioned fell mostly flat...I liked Karsh partially for one part during the flashback sequence between him, Riddel & Dario when he throws his bellflower down. That was great, but otherwise he didn't really do much or contribute any more than the rest of them...

I would have liked more interactivity between the cast members and what was happening to and around them...It seemed like all of this amazing and unbelievable crap was happening and no one was really saying anything until you brought them to their Another/Home World versions...and even those confrontations were usually sub-par and ended up being, "Hey! You're me! OMG! Here's your Lvl 7 Tech! See ya never!" I couldn't help but feel like it was all kind of rushed and missing things...

Chrono'99

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2009, 06:21:21 am »
True.

Crono Ghost: I don't know how to break this to you, but... Lynx was actually your father, Wazuki!

Serge: ...

Kid: ...

IAmSerge

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2009, 06:36:05 am »
Yeah, ill give ya that.
True

hehe =D