It's definitely fake!
12 (48%)
It's definitely real!
9 (36%)
I can't decide!!
4 (16%)

Total Members Voted: 24

Voting closed: May 05, 2009, 03:30:13 am

Author Topic: Stained glass Magus tribute  (Read 3019 times)

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
Re: Stained glass Magus tribute
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2009, 11:22:15 am »
It looks very fake. Look at the patterns in the glass under Magus' feet. It looks like ripply water, right? The only other place the glass looks like that is in the cape, which looks photoshopped.
Where's the color coming from? Where's the light coming from? It's not coming from the camera, but the holes in the piece should indicate that it's not coming from outside either.

It's a very nice job, but as a former art school student, my official opinion is that it reeks of photoshop.

Edit: as far as the light, if it was coming from inside, the border around the glass wouldn't be black. If it was coming from outside, you'd see rays in front on the border, again it wouldn't be the same color all the way around. It looks like real stained glass with Magus and DD photoshopped in.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2009, 11:24:21 am by Mr Bekkler »

Jutty

• Black Wind Agent (+600)
  • The Most In-Frequent Poster Ever
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2009, 09:28:13 pm »
So was this real?

Specter

• Porrean (+50)
  • Aphotic Fortissimo
    • View Profile
    • http://specter.sheezyart.com
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2009, 04:48:09 pm »
Sorry it's taken so long to get back to this, things have been a bit hectic on my end.

I've got to say, leave it to someone named after the Chrono series most enigmatic mad scientist to rebuff all possible illusion. Kudos to you, Bekkler. You saw straight through me, and for that I cannot help but acknowledge the superiority of an art major like yourself over an amateur like me.

THE TRUTH:
The image was a Photoshop job, though for those of you who were pointing at the background as proof, you were way off. That was an actual photo taken by Ian Britton (found on FreeFoto.com). My goal was to test out a technique I developed for making realistic stained glass from virtually any image (as well as contribute a bit of fan art to the CT community) and, judging by the votes, enough people thought it was authentic to make my experiment a success!

Compendiumites, you have my thanks for putting up with this little fancy of mine. And, should anyone be so awesome as to ever make actual Chrono Trigger themed stained glass, I would gladly bow down to your awesomeness.

I plan to put up a tutorial on how to do this at some point, so I'll post an update for anyone who's interested. And again, Bekkler, you totally kicked my butt. Bravo!

IAmSerge

• Temporal Warrior (+900)
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2009, 04:55:11 pm »
Sorry it's taken so long to get back to this, things have been a bit hectic on my end.

I've got to say, leave it to someone named after the Chrono series most enigmatic mad scientist to rebuff all possible illusion. Kudos to you, Bekkler. You saw straight through me, and for that I cannot help but acknowledge the superiority of an art major like yourself over an amateur like me.

THE TRUTH:
The image was a Photoshop job, though for those of you who were pointing at the background as proof, you were way off. That was an actual photo taken by Ian Britton (found on FreeFoto.com). My goal was to test out a technique I developed for making realistic stained glass from virtually any image (as well as contribute a bit of fan art to the CT community) and, judging by the votes, enough people thought it was authentic to make my experiment a success!

Compendiumites, you have my thanks for putting up with this little fancy of mine. And, should anyone be so awesome as to ever make actual Chrono Trigger themed stained glass, I would gladly bow down to your awesomeness.

I plan to put up a tutorial on how to do this at some point, so I'll post an update for anyone who's interested. And again, Bekkler, you totally kicked my butt. Bravo!

Kudos, Bekkler, Specter! =D

You don't need to quote an entire post if you 1) aren't saying something specific about it (and even if you are you should try to cut it down to w/e specific part of the post you're mentioning), or 2) are the first one to post RIGHT AFTER IT. It looks ugly and unnecessary for one...and was yet another thing I've now seen you do that Shadow D. Darkman did a lot when he was here...
~V_Translanka

« Last Edit: May 03, 2009, 07:47:16 pm by V_Translanka »

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2009, 06:04:44 pm »
Awesome! I feel bad now though. It does look really good, that border was just staring at me though.

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2009, 06:51:23 pm »
Real or "fake," it was superbly well done Specter. I'm sure there are some artists out there who would be interested in your technique. It would seem that you based this on actual in-game sprites.

Specter

• Porrean (+50)
  • Aphotic Fortissimo
    • View Profile
    • http://specter.sheezyart.com
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2009, 07:38:20 pm »
Indeed, the sprites were actually the starting place for the entire project.

Zephira

• Bounty Hunter
  • Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • You're not afraid of the dark, are you?...Are you?
    • View Profile
    • My deviantArt page
« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2009, 07:41:35 pm »
That is a neat effect. It looks pretty realistic, but yo ucould probably push it a bit farther.
Stained glass and plastic wrap filters? Only things I can recognize right now.

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2009, 07:52:58 pm »
Yeah, regardless it's still pretty damn neat. If the borders were a bit thinner I think that "Definitely Real" would have gotten a few more votes...though that Lavos looks intimidating to make in stained glass with all those little flecks, but idk anything about making stained glass so maybe it would be an easy enough process...I'm still amazed that I missed even SEEING the other images besides Magus before it was mentioned!

I went ahead & locked voting since any passed this would be irrelevant and this way it shows how public opinion was before the big reveal.

IAmSerge

• Temporal Warrior (+900)
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2009, 08:35:15 pm »
lavos does indeed...

Megamanx

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2009, 01:56:06 pm »
I'd pay for something like that.