Author Topic: Video Games Live Adds Chrono Trigger Medley  (Read 4269 times)

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
Video Games Live Adds Chrono Trigger Medley
« on: April 14, 2009, 09:27:58 pm »
Still severely backlogged with site updates (and any free time I have is going towards Crimson Echoes), but I saw at the VGMCentral DC++ hub today that Video Games Live has added a Chrono Trigger medley to its repertoire. A news article about it at Original Sound Version has sparked a minor flame war with Tommy Tallarico over the quality of the performance. See for yourself thanks to this video from MeleeGurl:

http://www.youtube.com/v/XpNvBX8DYuA&ap=%2526fmt%3D18 [hidden]THE A-LEAGUE IS NOT HERE

HIGH SPEED LOG RIDE[/hidden]
« Last Edit: April 15, 2009, 03:12:13 am by ZeaLitY »

Magus22

• Bounty Hunter
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Jean-Luc Picard says "It's time for Chrono Break".
    • View Profile
Re: Video Games Live Adds Chrono Trigger Medley
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2009, 01:01:27 am »
I saw no problem with their performance.

They did a wonderful job.

DRMProd

• Earthbound (+15)
  • Watch me dance!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2009, 02:03:09 am »
I find it a little disorganized, and that electric guitar has nothing to do there, it sounds like, out of place. Scars of time wasn't that bad nonetheless.

ZaichikArky

• Mystical Knight (+700)
    • View Profile
    • Livejournal
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2009, 03:32:12 am »
Did anyone recognize the last melody they played? It didn't sound like anything Chrono to me. Oh wait, maybe it was from Chrono Cross?

Anyway, it sounded so brilliant! It's great how you find so many people doing new arrangements of Chrono music though all this time.

Metal Gear Flaccid

• Earthbound (+15)
  • Get the heck out of here, you nerd!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2009, 07:32:31 am »
Did anyone recognize the last melody they played? It didn't sound like anything Chrono to me. Oh wait, maybe it was from Chrono Cross?

Yeah, it's the opening theme from Cross. It'as called Time's Scar. One of the best opening tracks in a game I've heard.

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2009, 08:03:26 am »
Isn't that one of the ones that was basically just taken straight from Radical Dreamers...?

Setheus

• Porrean (+50)
  • One who knows nothing can understand nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2009, 08:54:05 am »
I saw Video Games Live last year at the Midland Theater in Kansas City xD I loved every minute of it. Sadly they didnt play anything from the CT series. =/ Had an awesome Nobuo Uematsu bit though, was definitely my favorite part.

Darkshadw

• Porrean (+50)
  • RAWR!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2009, 09:17:19 am »
I will see Video Games like next Saturday here in Richmond! Exciting.

Ramsus

• Entity
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2009, 09:44:35 am »
After reading the news comment thread over at Original Sound Version, I have to say I'm a bit dismayed at how the fans who claim so much musical taste and knowledge choose to express their criticisms.

I hate to point out specific people and put them on the spot in a public forum, but since Chris from Square Enix Music Online made such a big scene, I might as well use this as an opportunity to explain so much of what is wrong with most "fan communities."

If Chris really felt the Video Games Live (VGL) recordings and live performances of Chrono arrangements were lacking in some ways, when confronted by Tommy Tallarico, who is apparently the CEO of VGL and performs those arrangements, rather than flail his online cock around trying to make it look bigger and calling the VGL performances complete trash that amounts to nothing less than an affront to all Chrono music, he should've used the direct line of communication to better explain his criticisms offer some suggestions for improvement.

By not doing so, he just comes across as yet another foaming-at-the-mouth, raging, hardcore, douche bag fan with an oversized ego and too much fucking time. So even if he's right, he loses all credibility due to his behavior. It doesn't matter if the two have a long history of back and forth communication.

Also, if Chris happens to possess more insight into VGL and some of the possibly negative aspects concerning how it does business, he just threw away an opportunity to share what he knows and place it into the public spotlight by providing some real back and forth public discussion about those practices by questioning specific practices and forcing VGL's CEO to justify them. Instead, he chose to use what he might know as the basis for criticizing VGL even more, while not providing any real evidence to back up his claims.

So use this as an example of how not to act if you yourself don't want to look like just another foaming-at-the-mouth, raging, hardcore, douche bag fan with an oversized ego and too much fucking time. Just don't be that guy, okay? You can be honest with your opinions about someone or something without looking like an asshole.

I mean, I'm sure Chris is usually a nice guy, but his strong opinions seemed to have overruled the better part of his judgment in this case.

« Last Edit: April 15, 2009, 10:10:31 am by Ramsus »

Katie Skyye

• Poet of El Nido
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
  • And you'll never catch her...
    • View Profile
    • Katie Skyye's Deviantart
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2009, 08:15:25 pm »
It sounded FINE to me...

...well, actually, the beginning sounded a little off, somehow. I'm not sure why, but...it just did. The tune was fine...it was just a little odd.

The rest, nonetheless, was great.

Darkshadw

• Porrean (+50)
  • RAWR!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2009, 11:53:36 pm »
I just saw Video Games Live here in Richmond! The Chrono piece was amazing.

Nexus

• Porrean (+50)
  • Choose your own path.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2009, 11:43:21 pm »
I wouldn't mind seeing this in person if I could it looks to be quite entertaining.

IAmSerge

• Temporal Warrior (+900)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2009, 03:35:30 am »
soo.. I totes wanna see this show... just for the Chrono piece.

Which piece of the Chrono Medley did excited you the most?

< Scars of Time was my fav

Jeff Zero

• Earthbound (+15)
  • omg, l2ascend
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2009, 11:29:39 pm »
I liked it quite a bit.

IAmSerge

• Temporal Warrior (+900)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2009, 12:16:10 am »

Anyway, it sounded so brilliant! It's great how you find so many people doing new arrangements of Chrono music though all this time.
Wow someone that hasn't played CC... STEP ON IT BRUTTHA!