Author Topic: Full Metal Panic! Live-Action Movie  (Read 2552 times)

dan_death

• Architect of Kajar
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
Full Metal Panic! Live-Action Movie
« on: April 12, 2009, 10:10:59 pm »
I say it's going to be bad, because, most likely, Hollywood will screw it up. It's said that they're making Zac Efron (High School Musical) to be Sousuke Sagara. I will be definitely pissed if he is going to be Sousuke. I have nothing really much to say, but I probably won't watch it, even though I love Full Metal Panic!, the live-action movie will most likely be crap.

They should at least pick someone more suitable for the main role.

I just hope that Dreamworks and Steven Spielberg do justice to the Ghost in the Shell live-action movie.

FouCapitan

• Black Wind Agent (+600)
  • Whatever it is, I'm against it.
    • View Profile
Re: Full Metal Panic! Live-Action Movie
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2009, 10:14:19 pm »
I just hope that Dreamworks and Steven Spielberg do justice to the Ghost in the Shell live-action movie.
You know if he's producing or directing?

dan_death

• Architect of Kajar
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2009, 10:17:10 pm »
There's not any information on that yet, but most likely he'll be directing, and so far the confirmed producers are Avi Arad and Steven Paul.

And while I'm on the subject of anime and movies, the Eureka Seven movie will be out in Japan this month, on the 25th.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2009, 10:22:43 pm by dan_death »

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2009, 10:29:07 pm »
Have you heard about Leo DiCaprio's live action Akira movies? I don't have any other info on them. But he wants to make them. Damn you for starting all this, Speed Racer!

dan_death

• Architect of Kajar
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2009, 10:36:53 pm »
Great, when will it end?

FouCapitan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2009, 10:41:04 pm »
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
It's the nature of Hollywood.  They see something popular, and seek to turn it
into something they can use.

It's usually a failure though.

I asked about Spielberg because it seems almost everything he produces turns out wonderful, and almost everything he directs turns to shit.

dan_death

• Architect of Kajar
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2009, 10:45:21 pm »
It's the nature of Hollywood.  They see something popular, and seek to turn it
into something they can use.

It's usually a failure though.

I asked about Spielberg because it seems almost everything he produces turns out wonderful, and almost everything he directs turns to shit.

Well, Saving Private Ryan wasn't shit, lol well, in my opinion it wasn't.

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2009, 10:48:15 pm »

Hahaha to War of the Worlds and the gian ALIEN ANUS that ATE TOM CRUISE in that movie. Terrible, if you ask me. I saw a 'making of' documentary and they were talking about that movie and Spielberg was saying "we changed the story so now it's about a kind of out on his luck dad, who's a bit of a deadbeat and just trying to get his kids to blah blah blah"
in other words "We thought it would be boring for parents without the soap opera shit. We thought it'd be boring to kids without the alien anuses. Dare me not to do it ahahahaha!"

Somebody should take away his director hat and shave his beard and make him look in a mirror.

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2009, 11:02:32 pm »
Hollywood isn't all about money.  There are lots of people who love and respect a franchise and want to find a way to share it.  For instance, I'd love to work on some sort of live action Chrono Trigger story. 

Let's just say that I get a company to buy the licensing rights ($$$$ for the owners) for Chrono Trigger, and then proceed to begin development.  One of the first problems I would run into is how to take something so fantastically unlike the real world and translate that to real world mechanics.  How could we actually portray the wild hairstyles, crazy-looking locales, and awe-inspiring environs?  How could we take all the wonders the Chronoverse has to offer and condense it into a two-hour film?  Do we put a spin on it with the hopes of gaining a new audience or do we cross our fingers and pray that the hardcore fans can push us through and help us break even?

After all, lots of money goes into making films, so it only makes sense to recoup those costs.

Ultimately the real problem are the studios themselves.  They hold the money and finance the films, and as a result have a certain sway over the film itself.  If they don't like something you are forced to: 1.) either convince them otherwise and keep it the same, 2.) do as they say and keep your job, 3.) compromise in a way in which neither party really wins.  And the sad thing is, if you try to fight them most of the time you get bit, because in Hollywood you can easily be replaced.  There's always someone eager to leave their mark on the world, and as such, there's also always someone who will do what the studio says in order to have a job.

So although money plays a major role (there's no denying that), there's also the human condition called the 'ego' that takes it's toll.

And least that's my opinion.

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2009, 11:24:52 pm »
3.) compromise in a way in which neither party really wins. 
This happens all too often.

FouCapitan

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2009, 11:43:30 pm »
Well Boo, that's one reason you see so many films based on existing franchises.  Sequels, or adaptations.  They already have an existing fanbase, so they know they'll make money off of a movie.  Even without basing them on existing franchises, film-makers attach popular hollywood figures to the films to guarantee somebody will watch it.  Let's take a look at what's in theatres right now for example.

Dragonball Evolution - Adaptation from Anime/Manga
Hannah Montana The Movie - Existing Popular Franchise
Observe and Report - Original Material
Fast & Furious - Sequel
Monsters Vs. Aliens - Original Material with reknown studio
The Haunting in Connecticut - Original Material based on allegedly true paranormal stories
Knowing - Original with Nicholas Cage
Watchmen - Comic Book Adaptation

And let's look what's on the way or already came this year in the box office.

X-Men Origins, Wolverine
Transformers 2
Harry Potter and the somethingorother
Friday The 13th
Terminator Salvation
Underworld: Rise of the Lycans
Saw VI
H2: Halloween 2
Final Destination 3D
Crank 2
Star Trek

I'm not saying a groundbreaking new idea doesn't come around at all anymore, and I even listed a couple that are out in theatres that may or may not be worth a gander, but the fact is Hollywood goes where the money is, and if fans are already attached to a franchise, that's guaranteed money for them.

Edit:  Hell, even films as laughably bad as 1994's Street Fighter: The Movie make money. ($99,423,521)
« Last Edit: April 12, 2009, 11:54:35 pm by FouCapitan »

tushantin

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • Under Your Moonlight, Stealing Your Stars
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2009, 09:41:37 am »
I'm not saying a groundbreaking new idea doesn't come around at all anymore, and I even listed a couple that are out in theatres that may or may not be worth a gander, but the fact is Hollywood goes where the money is, and if fans are already attached to a franchise, that's guaranteed money for them.
:lol: Not just money, but also success. Films that don't go hit don't tend to recoup as much money, just as Boo explains. It's obvious Hollywood (as Holly Would)  would try to make something the masses would love, and that explains success, and that explains money. They'd rather make something that would be a superhit, and that explains success and that explains money. It's human nature. Nobody wants to lose. Some may try to think creative and original, while some would be too cautious and stay close to popular adaptations or "where masses would enjoy".

Asafigow

• Guardian (+100)
  • It's the middle of the story, go crazy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2009, 02:08:02 pm »
Nooooooooooo!!! Why do we americans have to ruin everything good and japanese?!?!?! Firts DBZ and now FMA?! Why?!?!?!

Daniel Krispin

« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2009, 04:15:28 pm »
Well, I personally liked War of the Worlds quite a bit, and think that the fast majority of what Spielberg makes does turn out well. There are a few high calibre directors about that usually make excellent films. Spielberg, Del Toro, Jackson, Ridley Scott, James Cameron. Michael Bay, for as much flak as he catches is an excellent director: he might not make thinking movies, but for the genre he makes, he is a good filmmaker... we can't always have high drama... even the Greeks followed up their tragic trilogies with a Satyr play.

Also, I think sometimes people are too prone to criticise the industry for making movies 'for the masses' (is thiis such a bad thing?) or, the worst complaint I have ever heard regarding Hollywood, that they can't make anything original. There are several strong points against that. Firstly, many of their greatest works are adapations. Secondly, there really is no such things as an 'original' and, indeed, some of humanity's greatest works have been 'borrowed.' Take Hamlet. Take any of the ancient Greek plays which borrowed stories wholesale from an existing mythic corpus. These are amongst our proudest literary and artistic achievements, yet by the standards many these days employ, they would be considered unoriginal. How often did we hear the Oedipus story retold in antiquity? Just from what exists we have Aeschylus' Seven Against Thebes (part of a larger trilogy that's lost) and Sophokles' Theban plays. The terrors in the house of Atreus? Both Sophokles and Euripides wrote a play called Elektra, and both took numerous forays into the story. As did Aeschylus.

The point of this is I think the vast majority of lay comments made regarding filmmaking are made out of ignorance of art. They consider that the only art is in innovation, and entirely overlook adaption and, indeed, alteration, which is the very engine of artistic development. Worse, the fans that wish for something to be exact, and start to grumble at the changes. That tires me to no end. They want such a dry and static translation of the things they obssess over that as soon as they see alterations to their beloved source they complain. We saw this with Lord of the Rings. Yes, mistakes were made in making it (ie. the Elves), but good heavens, this is what happens in art, and I think it is no less a movie for how it was made. Maybe even more so.

So sorry if I've gone on a bit of a rant. But as soon as I hear about 'Hollywood doing things justice' and things like that, it really hits a nerve for me. The movies must be judged on their own merits, NOT in comparison to the source. This is something people must be mindful of. After all, if we were so mindful of that, well... we might as well throw out all of literature, as I've already said. The greatest writers always mess with the source to such an extent that any ardent fan of it might be appalled.

I don't know though. I am a fan of very few Japanese things, Chrono Trigger and the like being amongst those. I sometimes wonder if fans' devotional love to the source material does cloud their perception of the whole matter. The only times, I think, where high fidelity is and should be kept is where the intricacy of individual words and such construction is what is important. Hamlet, or the Iliad, or some such thing, which loses what it is when you alter it (even in those cases, though, something altogether new can be crafted, so the alteration is not inherently bad...). But in cases such as this, fans' complains about it being wrecked mainly have to do with cursory and accidental details, it seems.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2009, 04:28:50 pm by Daniel Krispin »

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2009, 04:28:12 pm »
Well, I personally liked War of the Worlds quite a bit, and think that the fast majority of what Spielberg makes does turn out well. There are a few high calibre directors about that usually make excellent films. Spielberg, Del Toro, Jackson, Ridley Scott, James Cameron. Michael Bay, for as much flak as he catches is an excellent director: he might not make thinking movies, but for the genre he makes, he is a good filmmaker... we can't always have high drama... even the Greeks followed up their tragic trilogies with a Satyr play.

I thoroughly enjoyed Transformers, and if you exclude the love story, Pearl Harbor was great. That's probably why I liked Transformers. No love story. Just action and comedy. Straight up entertainment.