Author Topic: Full Metal Panic! Live-Action Movie  (Read 2632 times)

Daniel Krispin

Re: Full Metal Panic! Live-Action Movie
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2009, 04:30:05 pm »
Well, I personally liked War of the Worlds quite a bit, and think that the fast majority of what Spielberg makes does turn out well. There are a few high calibre directors about that usually make excellent films. Spielberg, Del Toro, Jackson, Ridley Scott, James Cameron. Michael Bay, for as much flak as he catches is an excellent director: he might not make thinking movies, but for the genre he makes, he is a good filmmaker... we can't always have high drama... even the Greeks followed up their tragic trilogies with a Satyr play.

I thoroughly enjoyed Transformers, and if you exclude the love story, Pearl Harbor was great. That's probably why I liked Transformers. No love story. Just action and comedy. Straight up entertainment.

Hey, that's what Michael Bay does. If you want a thinking movie, his is not the one to see. But if you're looking just for something light, a few explosions thrown in, few do it better than he does.

Of course, there are those directors who are simply bad. Ever heard of Uwe Boll?
« Last Edit: April 13, 2009, 04:38:00 pm by Daniel Krispin »

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2009, 04:36:47 pm »
Well, I personally liked War of the Worlds quite a bit, and think that the fast majority of what Spielberg makes does turn out well. There are a few high calibre directors about that usually make excellent films. Spielberg, Del Toro, Jackson, Ridley Scott, James Cameron. Michael Bay, for as much flak as he catches is an excellent director: he might not make thinking movies, but for the genre he makes, he is a good filmmaker... we can't always have high drama... even the Greeks followed up their tragic trilogies with a Satyr play.

I thoroughly enjoyed Transformers, and if you exclude the love story, Pearl Harbor was great. That's probably why I liked Transformers. No love story. Just action and comedy. Straight up entertainment.

Hey, that's what Michael Bay does. If you want a thinking movie, his is not the one to see. But if you're looking just for something light, a few explosions thrown in, few do it better than he does.

Of course, there are those directors who are simply bad. Ever heard of Uwe Boll?

Oh, God. Most people involved or even interested in film flat out refuse to even mention that name. That man doesn't deserve to die, necessarily, but I can see how one may come to that conclusion after watching Bloodrayne or Postal. It's like the source material just didn't even exist. No common sense whatsoever.

On a side note, remember the Mortal Kombat movies? Awesome as hell - when you're a kid. I tried to watch them recently and couldn't. I just couldn't.

FouCapitan

• Black Wind Agent (+600)
  • Whatever it is, I'm against it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2009, 04:40:23 pm »
I agree to a point Daniel.  There's nothing inherently wrong with adaptations or the borrowing of old ideas to tell a story, it's done all the time in any given form of media from comics to music to the big screen itself.  The problem I have is when this is done while disregarding the effort required to make something good.

Fact is, there are some really bad movies out there.  Some so awful you wonder how any production company could let them happen.  I'll admit, seeing some of these stinkers had turned my perception of the last decade or so of movies sour, and left me rather critical of any films I choose to see, yet I still try and give these creations a chance.

Any successful franchise has the potential to be picked up by someone in hopes of making a movie.  For years anime had only a cult following through fansubs and the rare series to be dubbed every once in a while.  Then in the late 90s it hit mainstream with network attention to series like Pokemon, DBZ and the Toonami lineup, and more series began to see releases outside of Japan.  Now, like everything that exists, people are pondering the live action adaptations of these and just starting to churn some out.

I'm not saying they're all going to be bad movies, but the reason they're being made is because they have a strong audience.  If someone had gone up to a production company with the script for the Dragonball movie in the early 90s he would have been tossed out the door.  Now Hollywood sees cash potential, so they greenlight it.  But they're not the only ones, writers, actors, directors and so on see cash potential too.  Whether they're any damn good at making movies or not some people in the business don't care.  They can make the worst adaptation of a franchise possible, and are still guaranteed money because of the name alone.

You are right though, some people take too much flak for their work.  I agree with you about Michael Bay, and frankly loved Transformers and the new Friday the 13th movie.  I'll probably wind up seeing the new X-Men movie and definitely see Revenge of the Fallen as well.

On a final note, a Spielberg directed GitS movie does actually sound somewhat promising.  Stating most of what he directs turns to shit was a personal opinion, even then there are some of his directorial works I've liked (Indiana Jones pre-Crystal Skull)  Hopefully they can put something together that captures the psychological elements of the series as well as the futuristic action, and not just a gigantic CG-fest.

Daniel Krispin

« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2009, 04:41:06 pm »
Heh, I suppose. Though sometimes badness is fun just for that itself. I mean... isn't it still fun to watch Jason and the Argonauts? Clash of the Titans? Silly, in some ways, but good movies even for the cheesy elements they possess. As for Boll... yeah. Just yeah. There's someone who just doesn't know how to make films, adaptions or otherwise. That's not even a question of how one uses the source material. That's just a question about his ability to make movies. I think any one of us here could on average do better.

One thing I do wonder, though... why no one tries to make an Iliad. There is an example where fidelity can yield great results. Now not to say that Troy was an altogether bad movie. I rather liked it. It just wasn't the Iliad (of course), so we can't judge it on those grounds (as I argued up above on artistic adaption.) All the same, I think there would be something that could be said for a direct adaption of the Iliad. It seems to have been neither done nor attempted ever before. I seems most filmmakers fall into the trap that Homer avoided (as per the comments of Aristotle): that he did not try and tell everything. Filmmakers seem to wish to give the start, and the end of the war. This is utterly unneccessary, as the Iliad is not about the Trojan war. I think there are very few that realise that, or how good a movie could be made with skill and caution. There are few stories considering the human condition that are greater and have more lasting resonance. It is a great irony, indeed, as the Iliad is arguably the most important work in Western literature (if for nothing else than it is the first), and yet... I doubt if even half the people here could tell me what it's about.

You don't need the bloody special effects here. You just need skilled art direction.

FouCapitan

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2009, 04:48:10 pm »
Heh, I suppose. Though sometimes badness is fun just for that itself.
As a fan of MST3k and RiffTrax, I can definitely attest to that.  If nothing else, awful movies do provide us with something to make fun of.

Daniel Krispin

« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2009, 04:51:42 pm »
Heh, I suppose. Though sometimes badness is fun just for that itself.
As a fan of MST3k and RiffTrax, I can definitely attest to that.  If nothing else, awful movies do provide us with something to make fun of.

Well, awefulness, or just fun cheesiness. Like... this for example. Used to watch this as a kid:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M678PVOf5F0

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2009, 04:53:53 pm »
(Indiana Jones pre-Crystal Skull)

Ah, Crystal Skull and the suckery that lies therein. Had to mention it.

As for Boll... yeah. Just yeah. There's someone who just doesn't know how to make films, adaptions or otherwise. That's not even a question of how one uses the source material. That's just a question about his ability to make movies. I think any one of us here could on average do better.

Amen to that.

One thing I do wonder, though... why no one tries to make an Iliad.

Now you don't expect the common movie-goer to be able to pronounce that title, do you? Teeheehee.

Daniel Krispin

« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2009, 05:02:13 pm »
Now you don't expect the common movie-goer to be able to pronounce that title, do you? Teeheehee.

Uh... the Iliad? Ill-ee-ad? Is it really that tough? It's the names that would probably grate on people. They'd get tired, I suppose, listening to Akhilleus, Hektor, Aias, Diomedes, etc. Not exactly 'English' type names. All the same... I think it would be majestic if filmed by an artist.

ZealKnight

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Loyal Knight of the Kingdom of Zeal
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2009, 05:18:21 pm »
DAMN! So much anime adapted into movie. Why? Why now? It can never go well.

Lets see...
Transformers
Speed Racer
Cowboy Bebop (damn you Keanu Reeves!)
Dragon Ball
Robotech (yeah just herd about it)
Full Metal Panic
Leonardo DiCaprio wants to do Ninja Scroll which he has rights to now
repeated claims of the Evangelion movie

Astro boy might be good since it's not live action
http://astroboy-themovie.com/

If they want to make a good live action anime it has to be a mecha or at least realistic. It just has to. Special effects aren't good enough for every character to have super powers. *cough*DBZ*cough*Second they are not one movie. It will have to be multiple movies. One of the newer Gundams could be a 6 part movie if they stayed true to the anime(even then thats 183 minutes per movie). Code Geass might work but it would really alienate much of the American audience. It just can't be done. The only reason Transformers worked out is because it's already been destroyed by American producers, plus the original story was very uninteresting.

Daniel Krispin

« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2009, 05:22:35 pm »
Don't think badly of De Caprio... he's a good actor.

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2009, 05:47:32 pm »

Uh... the Iliad? Ill-ee-ad? Is it really that tough? It's the names that would probably grate on people. They'd get tired, I suppose, listening to Akhilleus, Hektor, Aias, Diomedes, etc. Not exactly 'English' type names. All the same... I think it would be majestic if filmed by an artist.

Yeah, I just watched the entire Dune miniseries from SciFi cause my girlfriend couldn't believe I hadn't seen it yet, and the names are the WORST part. Science fiction tends to have that problem, and movies about mythology have a lot of the same tendencies, unless of course you follow mythology and already know the names (hence the Teeheehee). I loved Clash of the Titans by the way.

I can pronounce Iliad just fine, but I just find it humorous that they'd probably rename it if they made a big studio production out of the thing.

And DeCaprio is pretty decent. Gangs of New York, W.E. Gilbert Grape, and more recently Blood Diamond, all feature excellent performances.

FouCapitan

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2009, 05:53:15 pm »
I would hardly consider Transformers to be simply "anime adapted to live action".  It's been toys, comic books, and a cartoon.  The original cartoon was even written and recorded in America first, with animation studios in Japan and South Korea.

dan_death

• Architect of Kajar
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2009, 06:34:16 pm »
DAMN! So much anime adapted into movie. Why? Why now? It can never go well.

Lets see...
Transformers
Speed Racer
Cowboy Bebop (damn you Keanu Reeves!)
Dragon Ball
Robotech (yeah just herd about it)
Full Metal Panic
Leonardo DiCaprio wants to do Ninja Scroll which he has rights to now
repeated claims of the Evangelion movie

Astro boy might be good since it's not live action
http://astroboy-themovie.com/

and Ghost in the Shell ;) I actually think that the live-action movie might actually be good.

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2009, 06:45:07 pm »
Yeah, if Leo is actually a fan and is willing to make a movie based on the manga (I assume since he wants to make multiple?), that's cool...I mean, the movie was a great adaptation (& beautifully made), but in the end, that's what it was, an adaptation. Akira's on such a higher level that no matter what live-action craps out, for good or ill, it's name won't be fouled.

Oh yeah, as for the topic, I'm not familiar with the manga so I can't be disappointed by a live-action movie being made.

ZealKnight

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Loyal Knight of the Kingdom of Zeal
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2009, 06:47:35 pm »
I don't like Spielberg, so my hopes are already down for it. People give him so much credit for things like ET, but I thought the movies weren't all that great. If he is good he must be wasting his talent on bad movies. And I never said anything about DiCaprio being bad, I just think he is kinda a douche. He only does movies that are suppose to have this lesson behind them. Why can't actors just do something entertaining. Not something in the fad of today's teens, just something fun or cool.