Author Topic: Why is it that Glenn can only regain his true form after Magus dies?  (Read 4262 times)

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
Re: Why is it that Glenn can only regain his true form after Magus dies?
« Reply #30 on: April 22, 2009, 01:40:59 pm »
He does appear nice sometimes. He tells you to search for the Guru of Time to revive Crono, even if you kill him at North Cape (he says it just before dying). If you don't kill him, this can be seen as an opportunist move, but why does he say it even if you kill him?

Maybe he just wanted to do one positive thing before dieing

He doesn't think he's a badguy. Nobody thinks "I'm so bad and I love it!" except crybaby goth/emo/some types of metalheads and the occasional unbelievable boss from a game. Hitler even thought he was doing the right thing.

So, maybe he was just helping because it was necessary, maybe Magus just saw the bigger picture, and wanted the whole plan to pan out. He wanted Lavos dead, and if these people are strong enough to kill he who would have taken Lavos alone, then perhaps these people could do it for him.

And as for Frog staying Frog in-game: Motivation. Would he stick around and risk his life fighting aliens and traveling through time if he were accepted as a human in his own time? Or would he go home and protect Leene all night long? Maybe he needed his frog form to want to help, maybe he thinks he has to prove himself?

maggiekarp

• Crimson Echoes Beta Squad
  • Time Traveler (+800)
  • ʇ ı  ʇ n o q ɐ  p ɹ ı ǝ ʍ ˙ ˙ ˙ ƃ u ı ɥ ʇ ǝ ɯ o s
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 22, 2009, 02:31:10 pm »
Magus doesn't necessarily view himself as a bad guy, no, but certainly not a good guy. He recognized that the things he did as the Fiendlord were evil, and the experience was obviously bad enough for him to refer to it as "THE DARKNESS", but he was also consumed by revenge so much that he didn't do the "right" things when the options were there. The dude regretted focusing on killing Lavos more than grabbing Schala and some choice Zealians, getting in the magic getaway buggy and blowing that popsicle stand.

I still think of him talking about how to bring back Crono as his first nice thing to do, especially since he does it even if you kill him, but more importantly it gave a believable reason for him to be allowed in the party in the first place. If he just tagged along to fight Lavos without providing anything else, they wouldn't have let him in the Epoch, many gamers would think. Even if you kill him, it gives you a clue where to go next.

AS FOR FROG'S MOTIVATION... he's too heroic to ditch the gang mid-adventure even if he becomes human again. And through the course of the game, the people of his time accept him as a frog anyway. He's about proving he has his own will, and I think part of that will is sticking around with Crono and co. to save the world. I mean, he sticks around after you recruit Magus, that's gotta say something.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2009, 02:34:31 pm by maggiekarp »

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 22, 2009, 11:44:47 pm »
the people of his time accept him as a frog anyway.
After 10 years in self-exile
he sticks around after you recruit Magus, that's gotta say something.
True, he's not flighty.

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #33 on: April 23, 2009, 12:09:55 am »
I don't see any Epoch ending as canon anyways...Balloon or nothing else matters. And I also don't think the curse can be broken until the Gates close and there's just no way for Magus, the cause and the link to the curse, to be connected to Glenn...I see the spell as acting like a chain between them that can travel just as freely through time as Crono & Co., but only IF they can...

maggiekarp

• Crimson Echoes Beta Squad
  • Time Traveler (+800)
  • ʇ ı  ʇ n o q ɐ  p ɹ ı ǝ ʍ ˙ ˙ ˙ ƃ u ı ɥ ʇ ǝ ɯ o s
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 23, 2009, 12:13:59 am »
the people of his time accept him as a frog anyway.
After 10 years in self-exile

Just how long and solitary was this exile if he was the Queen's bodyguard at the start of the game?

In any case, yeah, the "self" part is true. Frog's appearance is a little shocking at first, but it's not the sole reason he's an outcast of sorts. His own guilt and lack of confidence did that more.

Fixed your quote tag (you forgot the backslash for the closer & I hate seeing messed up ones :lol:)...
~V_Translanka

« Last Edit: April 23, 2009, 01:39:10 am by V_Translanka »