Author Topic: Why is it that Glenn can only regain his true form after Magus dies?  (Read 4195 times)

Dark Serge

• Time Traveler (+800)
  • Now, let love bleed...
    • View Profile
Re: Why is it that Glenn can only regain his true form after Magus dies?
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2009, 04:03:55 pm »
Here's something else to ponder: perhaps Magus was doing Frog a favor by not lifting the curse. Think about it... Glenn was a frog for ten years. When his curse is lifted, what happens to his body? Is he the same Glenn as he was on Denadoro Mt the day he was cursed? Or does he keep all the muscles and skills he obtained as a frog? Unless they took a year or so to train Glenn's human body, it would be a lot better for him to continue fighting as a frog.

But if you look at Glenn's body when he opens the door to Magus' Lair, you can see he's quite skinny. I don't know if a frog can even develop muscles. I don't think there would be much difference if he returned to his human form.

mav

• Magical Dreamer (+1250)
  • Gentleman Waiting in the Train Station at Twilight
    • View Profile
    • The RPG Realm
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2009, 04:12:22 pm »
I've always thought that he kept it till Lavos for battle's sake, but that point about the Masamune is quite noteworthy. And Zephira, I've often wondered that myself: how would Frog battle in human form? No slurp, no slurp cut, and I'd assume decreased agility and mobility; having grown so accustomed to fighting as a Frog, he'd be severely hampered by the transformation.

In one of the main ending variation, Frog bathes in the Denadoro waterfall to revert to his human form. Is it just for kicks or is there's something notable to it?
Hmmm, I can't exactly remember, how do you get this ending? What criteria do you have to fulfill to achieve it? I guess I'll have to go re-watch it...Anyway, Denadoro is a pretty mystical place, having housed the Masamune and a whole load of Mystics, and it's also got a certain historical element to it: Glenn became Frog there, maybe he had to return there to have the curse lifted?

utunnels

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2009, 09:32:06 pm »
In the NA version, Frog notes that he loves his new amphibian form, and owes it all to Magus. In the Japanese original, Frog actually gave a reason for this, noting that because of his status as a Frog, he was able to obtain the Masamune.
I think that just a way of wording to express his hatred.

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2009, 12:16:21 pm »
I was just about to post those two pieces of dialog--anyhow, yes, somehow after defeating Magus, Frog will revert to Glenn. It's completely plausible for Magus to be able to cure Glenn at any time, but why would he? There's virtually nothing in it for him, right?

I'm glad someone said it. Magus may be many things, but nice he ain't.

Chrono'99

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2009, 01:00:22 pm »
He does appear nice sometimes. He tells you to search for the Guru of Time to revive Crono, even if you kill him at North Cape (he says it just before dying). If you don't kill him, this can be seen as an opportunist move, but why does he say it even if you kill him?

Dark Serge

• Time Traveler (+800)
  • Now, let love bleed...
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2009, 01:22:54 pm »
He does appear nice sometimes. He tells you to search for the Guru of Time to revive Crono, even if you kill him at North Cape (he says it just before dying). If you don't kill him, this can be seen as an opportunist move, but why does he say it even if you kill him?

Maybe he just wanted to do one positive thing before dieing

placidchap

• Temporal Warrior (+900)
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2009, 01:28:31 pm »

So you know what to do next in the game, whether you kill him or not.

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2009, 01:28:46 pm »
Or he thought the party was his last best hope for Lavos being defeated and in order to obtain his goal from beyond the grave, desired to help them.

mav

• Magical Dreamer (+1250)
  • Gentleman Waiting in the Train Station at Twilight
    • View Profile
    • The RPG Realm
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2009, 08:34:39 pm »
Right: he's about to die, he might as well leave these hopefuls with another key to defeating Lavos. I guess you could say Magus is only "nice" when Lavos is involved--in the case of lifting the curse on Glenn, it'd have no holding on Lavos, so he might as well leave the bloke as a frog.

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2009, 01:09:39 am »
I still stand that as long as there is a link between Magus & Glenn, the curse will be there...If the Gates remain open, that means that link is still there, just flowing through the Gates themselves (or at least the possibility that Magus & Glenn could be in the same era would still be there)...Once they close, that means the curse can be lifted and thus we get new animated always-Glenn (but with stupid short hair) endings...

Killing Magus isn't canon anyways, so idk how much we're supposed to put into what happens when you go down that path...

Jutty

• Black Wind Agent (+600)
  • The Most In-Frequent Poster Ever
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2009, 11:46:54 pm »
It's because they didn't have battle sprites for Glenn they only had them for Frog that is why he does not revert to human form till the ending. It appears the only way to break the curse is by killing Magus.

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2009, 10:24:15 am »
Interestingly, in Lucca's house in CC there are pictures of every CT PC except Frog and Magus (well, if I recall right, there's a green blob that might have been a nod to Frog, but who knows). It is almost like even the designers weren't sure if Frog was still cursed (and they didn't know if Magus was supposed to be alive or dead). So there it is possible that not even Kato knows if Frog has a human form and if Magus has to die to obtain it.

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Forever loyal to the Acacia Dragoons
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2009, 10:29:28 am »
And why wouldn't? Kato, after all, was responsible alone for all the 12,000 BC events.

Unless the dialogue was someone else's job.

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2009, 12:15:04 pm »
I don't think the kid's pictures are from actually seeing them though...Or else it's just from seeing that one pic (that apparently Magus took?) from the intro anime cut-scene. Otherwise I think they're just going off of descriptions from Lucca, so any pictures wouldn't be of human Glenn anyways...and maybe Lucca just left out mentioning Magus as not to scare the kiddies? :lol:

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2009, 12:37:44 pm »
And why wouldn't? Kato, after all, was responsible alone for all the 12,000 BC events.

Unless the dialogue was someone else's job.

Because the designers, Kato included, were more concerned with making a compelling and interesting video game, rather than creating a coherent mythos. How the curse is broken, if Magus has to be alive or not, etc, doesn't particularly matter to that goal, and so it wasn't bothered with.

V, my point was just that its amusing that the pictures in the orphanage could have cleared this matter up nicely, but didn't, leaving it open to interpretation. As CT could have gone both ways, they might have been trying to leave it open to both possibilities in CC.