Author Topic: Why is it that Glenn can only regain his true form after Magus dies?  (Read 4257 times)

leena_zeal

• Porrean (+50)
  • beauty lies in the eyes
    • View Profile
So... I've read this a few times already while browsing through the different threads.
I keep reading that Frog can only go back to being Glenn after Magus dies. But where is this explained in-game?
I've never seen any reference to this in CT, so I don't get why Magus dying is a requirement.

I get that if you kill Magus instead of recruiting him you get to see Glenn in the end scene, but that doesn't neccessarily mean that he can't undo the spell if he wanted to, right?

Just a doubt, sorry if this has already been discussed in a different thread

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Forever loyal to the Acacia Dragoons
    • View Profile
Re: Why is it that Glenn can only regain his true form after Magus dies?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2009, 12:02:47 am »
It is said before or after (can't remember exactly) the Magus fight on the North Cape, where Magus himself tells it.

In CT, that is. Can't remember of the retranslation or CTDS. And, that's only that his death breaks the curse.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2009, 12:04:53 am by Acacia Sgt »

leena_zeal

• Porrean (+50)
  • beauty lies in the eyes
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2009, 12:21:43 am »
Hmmm... now that you mention it, the North Cape scene does ring a bell. Though I think it's only if you choose to kill Magus (which I never do, I love Magus).
Still, is it impossible for him to reverse the curse at will? I mean, if I'm right and he says that when he's about to die, that doesn't necessarily mean that he can't do it, right?

I know it's kind of a pointless question, but I can't help asking anyways  :oops:

utunnels

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2009, 12:35:51 am »
Frog was kissed by Marle, and he became a human again. :|

Zephira

• Bounty Hunter
  • Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • You're not afraid of the dark, are you?...Are you?
    • View Profile
    • My deviantArt page
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2009, 12:40:04 am »
Maybe that really is the reason. In the PSX and DS ports, the ending cutscenes show a human Glenn being honoured by the King and Queen, regardless of whether or not you killed Magus.

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2009, 01:23:14 am »
So Frog was just another victim of that curse?

I... don't think so...

utunnels

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2009, 02:13:28 am »
Maybe that really is the reason. In the PSX and DS ports, the ending cutscenes show a human Glenn being honoured by the King and Queen, regardless of whether or not you killed Magus.
He should travel to Final Fantasy Dimension, where Frog status can be cured easily.
 :picardno

Chrono'99

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2009, 05:49:47 am »

One theory is that since Magus went back to 12,000 BC at the end of the game, he's considered dead as far as Glenn in 600 AD is concerned. Of course, there were similar situations in the game and his curse wasn't broken then, so the theory is flawed. Though perhaps it was because the entity Gates were still active or something (they're shut at the end of the game).

Dark Serge

• Time Traveler (+800)
  • Now, let love bleed...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2009, 07:48:03 am »

One theory is that since Magus went back to 12,000 BC at the end of the game, he's considered dead as far as Glenn in 600 AD is concerned. Of course, there were similar situations in the game and his curse wasn't broken then, so the theory is flawed. Though perhaps it was because the entity Gates were still active or something (they're shut at the end of the game).

I beg to differ. Following your logic, Glenn should be human again at the end of the Moonlight Parade (after he goes back to his time), regardless of whether you killed Magus or not. But such is not the case. If you let Magus live, you can see Chrono & crew flying through 600 AD in the Epoch, and Glenn is standing there, on Zenan Bridge... As a frog.

If you did kill Magus, he'll be standing there as a human. I think we should just agree that the cutscenes, awesome as they may be, are full of sh*t. Because it also shows Glenn getting ("knighted?") by a bearded King Guardia, and if I recall, King Guardia in 600 AD didn't have a beard.

As for why the curse is only lifted if Magus is killed? I thought it made pretty much sense. Since Magus brought the spell upon him, it is lifted when he dies. And for the record, I don't recall Magus saying the curse will be lifted if you kill him on North Cape. He just says "...You wish to fight me?".

Chrono'99

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2009, 08:11:12 am »
I beg to differ. Following your logic,

Well, it's not mine.

If you did kill Magus, he'll be standing there as a human. I think we should just agree that the cutscenes, awesome as they may be, are full of sh*t. Because it also shows Glenn getting ("knighted?") by a bearded King Guardia, and if I recall, King Guardia in 600 AD didn't have a beard.

Mmh, this detail is very interesting, actually. King Guardia in 600 AD didn't have a beard, but who said this knighting ceremony takes place in 600 AD? It could be later, with the King being older. After all, the same cutscene shows Lucca finding Kid in the woods, and we know that this was in 1004 or 1006 AD (CC and the CC Ultimania are unclear; in any case, it was not in 1000 AD). Maybe Frog found a way to break the curse himself sometime after 600 AD.

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2009, 11:31:24 am »
And for the record, I don't recall Magus saying the curse will be lifted if you kill him on North Cape. He just says "...You wish to fight me?".

Well...

Quote from: Magus
Defeat me, and you will
   break the curse on Frog.

English CT dialogue, but it's there anyway. Can't remember what he says in the other scripts.

alfadorredux

• Entity
  • Mystical Knight (+700)
  • Just a purple cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2009, 11:46:21 am »
The Retranslation appears to have
Magus: If I die......
   Frog's curse will dispel in time......

All we can imply from this, however, is that killing Magus is a method of returning Glenn to his human form.  There may be others.

mav

• Magical Dreamer (+1250)
  • Gentleman Waiting in the Train Station at Twilight
    • View Profile
    • The RPG Realm
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2009, 02:53:35 pm »
I was just about to post those two pieces of dialog--anyhow, yes, somehow after defeating Magus, Frog will revert to Glenn. It's completely plausible for Magus to be able to cure Glenn at any time, but why would he? There's virtually nothing in it for him, right?

I think another important question in all this is why it takes so long for him to revert--are we going to dismiss it as in-game mechanics, or do you think there's a plot reason for Frog only being Glenn at the end of the game?

Zephira

• Bounty Hunter
  • Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • You're not afraid of the dark, are you?...Are you?
    • View Profile
    • My deviantArt page
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2009, 03:01:54 pm »
Here's something else to ponder: perhaps Magus was doing Frog a favor by not lifting the curse. Think about it... Glenn was a frog for ten years. When his curse is lifted, what happens to his body? Is he the same Glenn as he was on Denadoro Mt the day he was cursed? Or does he keep all the muscles and skills he obtained as a frog? Unless they took a year or so to train Glenn's human body, it would be a lot better for him to continue fighting as a frog.

Chrono'99

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2009, 03:07:34 pm »
Frog to Magus in his Castle:
Quote from: NA version
Frog: I rather enjoy this form.
   And I oweth it all to you!

Frog: I have something for you!
Quote from: JP version
Frog: I'm grateful.
   It's because of such a form......

Frog: That I have what I've got!
Quote from: Kwhazit note
In the NA version, Frog notes that he loves his new amphibian form, and owes it all to Magus. In the Japanese original, Frog actually gave a reason for this, noting that because of his status as a Frog, he was able to obtain the Masamune.

After Magus' death, perhaps Frog consciously retains his form because he prefers it in battle? With Lavos defeated, perhaps he reverted to human form because it was not necessary anymore, as he would be living in a peaceful time?

In one of the main ending variation, Frog bathes in the Denadoro waterfall to revert to his human form. Is it just for kicks or is there's something notable to it?
« Last Edit: April 12, 2009, 03:09:54 pm by Chrono'99 »