Author Topic: I'd like to start a fandub.  (Read 3642 times)

Ramsus

• Entity
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
Re: I'd like to start a fandub.
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2009, 12:18:23 am »
Sorry, the cheapest video editing software for Windows or Mac that I can think of that isn't horrible is about $100. The best open source stuff is all free, but all of those applications run on Linux, sometimes Mac, with no foreseeable ports to Windows anytime soon. If you ask around though, someone might have an old copy of something they don't use sitting around.

If I could choose anything, I'd probably go with Adobe Premiere Pro. I used the CS2 version once for a video project. Unfortunately, it's $800 more than you can probably spend on a small project like this, although with a student discount it's $350.

Premiere Elements has the needed multi-track editing functionality for a little under $100, but the dumbed-down user interface actually gets in the way. I get the feeling they may have dumbed it down even more since I bought a copy of version 4.0, so I wouldn't buy it without first downloading and trying the 30-day trial to make sure it's usable.

You might just have to export the audio from the game footage into Audacity, mix the voices in there, and then import it into Windows Movie Maker. That way, you get more control over the sound, but getting everything sync'd with the video becomes harder.

ZaichikArky

• Mystical Knight (+700)
    • View Profile
    • Livejournal
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2009, 01:22:11 am »
Oh dear that is kind of expensive... I'll try to see if there are "other means" of getting better programs.

Well here's what I have. I spent all day working on the intro XD. It's so much work. I really don't think the quality is so bad, but I really don't mind if it's not perfect. The first couple lines are too quiet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gN1kEbqcqpw

ZaichikArky

• Mystical Knight (+700)
    • View Profile
    • Livejournal
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2009, 12:26:00 am »
Ok, I put up lines for the characters I need so far. I edited the original post. I'd appreciate any help. Thanks~

Talah Rama

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2009, 06:49:02 am »
People often say, "I don't want to offend you, but..." before they say offensive things.  I actually don't want to offend you, but I'm still going to be blunt; you may be offended in the process. 

You want to record people reciting the dialogue of a near-15 year old game in its original Japanese, presumably so other people who can understand Japanese can listen to it.  I can see where your intentions are coming from, but this reminds me too much of when the people in Anime Club would constantly go on about, "I want to do this... IN JAPANESE."  Is there some sort of inherent advantage that Japanese confers onto this project?  Why do you want it in Japanese?  You're not only hugely limiting your potential audience, you're also limiting your talent pool.  Your audience has to be someone who really likes Chrono Trigger, can understand Japanese, and does not mind what might end up being a heavily accented reading (I don't know who's doing it, so I can't say for sure). 

Everyone here can understand English and would appreciate your project in English.  A smaller subset will nod their heads as they play it and follow along with subtitles.

I'm sorry.  I just... I don't see the point of it being in Japanese.

:P  Why not make a radio drama?  (Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?)

mav

• Magical Dreamer (+1250)
  • Gentleman Waiting in the Train Station at Twilight
    • View Profile
    • The RPG Realm
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2009, 02:44:34 pm »
Eh, I think today's crowd is too lost to take radio dramas to heart--I'm a big fan, m'self, but it seems like people can only standing hearing something if they can watch something too...

Although I gotta admit, I do kinda agree with what Rama just mentioned, regarding the Japanese stuff...But this is isn't my project, so whatever. Once I find my mic, I'd be happy to send ya a sample of how I'd do the Young Man lines...although it'd be the English version--I'll do the Japanese one too if you can provide a transliteration.

skylark

• Poet of El Nido
  • Black Wind Agent (+600)
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2009, 03:05:22 pm »
My two cents, since Talah already broke the ice.

I also don't see why you only want it in Japanese. If you're saying you want to help some people practice Japanese, that's fine, but that would still be alienating half the fanbase (myself included).

Now, if you said you wanted it in Japanese in order to send a copy to SE so they might take more interest in the Chrono series, then I personally wouldn't mind at all.

But if I could be so bold as to suggest a compromise, perhaps you could make two versions; one Japanese and one English.

ZaichikArky

• Mystical Knight (+700)
    • View Profile
    • Livejournal
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2009, 06:41:00 pm »
Yeah, I get what you mean by wanting to do an English one, but that's kind of what I want to do if the original idea doesn't work out. I don't think I'd be alienating the fan base per say, just the ones who might want to participate since  most don't really know the language.

There are a couple reasons I want to do it in Japanese. It isn't some kind of weeaboo thing of mine. I've studied Japanese for many years and spent one and a half years over there teaching English. It's a way for me to keep up on my Japanese skills. Also, I think it would be more unique to do it this way rather than an English version using Woolsey's translation.

Anyway, I understand why doing it in English would involve more people, but it takes a huge amount of time to coordinate this thing with two languages, and for now I'm trying to do it with one.

I actually posted this at a Japanese community and I seem to have a lot of interest, though it's interest. It's not like people committed to anything yet, so we'll see where that goes.

In the mean time, if anyone is still interested in helping out here, I would be grateful and maybe if people like it, I'll continue to update about its progress : ).

mav

• View Profile
    • The RPG Realm
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2009, 07:39:29 pm »
I recorded the Young Man(s) lines in English, just so you could get a taste of how I'd do a younger sounding voice. Now, how exactly do I send this to ya?

I might re-record them, but either way let me know how you want them sent and maybe this ball will start rolling.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2009, 04:29:41 pm by mav »

ZaichikArky

• Mystical Knight (+700)
    • View Profile
    • Livejournal
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2009, 03:27:05 am »
eep I don't understand why you crossed that out. Will you still send me something? I would appreciate it soooo much!!

You can e-mail it to me here- lzakharo AT gmail.com.

Thank you!!

mav

• View Profile
    • The RPG Realm
« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2009, 04:39:27 pm »
Blah, I was trying to distinguish that I did the lines for the Young Man even though those might be different young men.

Anyhow, I sent it. I think I did terribly. :>

ZaichikArky

• Mystical Knight (+700)
    • View Profile
    • Livejournal
« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2009, 06:07:01 pm »
No, I think you did a great job! In English anyway. I'll have to redo this post soon so I can try to see if more people will want to submit voices in English.

If I were to do an English version, which version do you think I should use? Woolsey's or Kwhazit's retranslation? It's kind of hard to say because Woolsey's version is more nostalgic and relatable, and I think funnier, while the retranslation is much more accurate and isn't missing a ton of text.

mav

• View Profile
    • The RPG Realm
« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2009, 06:45:11 pm »
Right, the re-translation is more accurate, but it's a lot less fun, and sometimes the sentence structure kinda throws me off, like this sentence:
   The festival's since this year is the 1000th year
   since this kingdom was formed.
I stumbled on it like 5 times when I was speaking it...Now, I can't say the regular translation is perfect, but it's a little more fun and I think it'd resonate with people more...

ZaichikArky

• Mystical Knight (+700)
    • View Profile
    • Livejournal
« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2009, 06:55:47 pm »
Yeah, I think I have a preference for Woolsey's version too. Although that would mean you'd have to re-record your lines! Eep. I hope you don't mind that..

mav

• View Profile
    • The RPG Realm
« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2009, 08:26:47 pm »
Hah, no problem. So, is it definite that you want to stick with Woolsey translation and dialog? If so, I think the others that mentioned interest should record something too. Even if this isn't all set in stone, having a variety of voice actors will be great.

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Forever loyal to the Acacia Dragoons
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2009, 08:54:59 pm »
So, Woolsey's? If so, I'm going to record right now.