Author Topic: Dalton and the Blackbird  (Read 3614 times)

Dark Serge

• Time Traveler (+800)
  • Now, let love bleed...
    • View Profile
Dalton and the Blackbird
« on: April 08, 2009, 11:01:23 am »
Well, as we all know, Belthasar designed the Blackbird. But he didn't actually build it. In fact, it was Dalton who oversaw the construction of the Blackbird in 12,000 BC, which means he had the blueprints.

Now then, I wondered; perhaps Dalton engineered a second Blackbird after the first one fell? Perhaps he used it against Guardia.

It's yet another thing to explain how Porre won over Guardia. We already noted the elements of El Nido, Dragonian artifacts, maybe the Sun Stone, and other stuff. But perhaps he also constructed a new Blackbird in Porre.

It's a long shot, but hey it's possible right?

Lee

• Porrean (+50)
  • Harle fanboy
    • View Profile
    • Ocean Pie
Re: Dalton and the Blackbird
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2009, 11:35:12 am »
If he still had the blueprints before falling into the Dimensional Vortex, then that's a possibility. Otherwise, I doubt he could manage the construct of a second Blackbird.

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Forever loyal to the Acacia Dragoons
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2009, 12:11:54 pm »
Could be, considering that 1,000 AD is capable of building such thing at a smaller scale (or at least in the alpha version), but still, they could not have the same means Zeal had to build the blackbird, so even with the blueprints, they are obsolete if construction is not possible.

placidchap

• Temporal Warrior (+900)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2009, 01:14:03 pm »
Just because he attacks Guardia around 1000AD doesn't mean a neo-blackbird was made then...considering he was in a dimensional vortex and all.

Dark Serge

• Time Traveler (+800)
  • Now, let love bleed...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2009, 01:25:59 pm »
1005 AD, but there's a possibility. Also, part of me is wondering if Dalton could travel through time periods using the Dimensional Vortex. After all, the Vortex appears in three time periods, right?

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Forever loyal to the Acacia Dragoons
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2009, 01:53:40 pm »
Yes, but they don't seem to be connected to each other, I think.

Radical_Dreamer

• Entity
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
    • The Chrono Compendium
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2009, 02:01:01 pm »
Is there any evidence that he did this?

Dark Serge

• Time Traveler (+800)
  • Now, let love bleed...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2009, 02:05:41 pm »
Afraid not. The plans for the Blackbird could have been lost during the Fall of Zeal. Still, Dalton may have been crafty enough to remember parts of them and forge a new Blackbird. The only flaw I can think of is a lack of materials to build it.

Chrono'99

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2009, 02:23:50 pm »
The Blackbird was build by Belthasar. Dalton had nothing to do with it.

Dark Serge

• Time Traveler (+800)
  • Now, let love bleed...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2009, 02:37:57 pm »
How could Belthasar build such a thing single handedly? Actually, it was also said in CT that Dalton was the one who oversaw the construction of the Ocean Palace (also designed by Belthasar), and that Ocean Palace wasn't complete yet when Belthasar was already missing.

mav

• Magical Dreamer (+1250)
  • Gentleman Waiting in the Train Station at Twilight
    • View Profile
    • The RPG Realm
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2009, 02:41:48 pm »
According to the Encyclopedia:
Queen Zeal placed Dalton in charge of the Ocean Palace's construction after Belthasar's disappearance in the Keystone Timelines; he used slave labor from the Earthbound ones. The Prophet later edged him out of this position, placing him in a typically bad mood. He soon diverted his attention to the Blackbird, as he was now in charge of its security.
Although security most certainly does not equal construction...I'll look through the original script to see if it says anything definitive. But didn't Dalton manage to revamp the Epoch with pieces of the Blackbird? If so, he must have some technical knowledge/oversight...

Nonetheless I doubt Dalton would engineer a second Blackbird. Material-wise, he's probably lacking necessary parts/equipment to build such a sophisticated piece of machinery.

Dark Serge

• Time Traveler (+800)
  • Now, let love bleed...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2009, 02:48:12 pm »
he must have some technical knowledge/oversight...

That's what I've been saying all the time, but most people seem to think he laid back while the Dalton Corps did it.... Yea....

ZealKnight

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Loyal Knight of the Kingdom of Zeal
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2009, 03:00:54 pm »
Not another one of these discussions. Dalton may play the part of the buffoon but who says he's completely incompetent. He is just sorta foolish. But then again just how smart are the people in 1000AD? How smart are the people in 12000BC? He obviously has some power and intelligence, maybe enough to build tanks and stuff. Listen the point: He did it. He overthrew Crono and Marle. He was obviously smart enough to leave the ocean palace and save the blackbird(and some of his troops) before the fall. You guys just don't want to admit the fact that he finally won. I for one believe that with Norris and Luccia he was able to make some awesome stuff. Maybe that Ruin where they found the Strong Arm was Belthazar's lab from the fall. Maybe thats how he won. He had knowledge to share with Luccia and Norris about the stuff they found.

maggiekarp

• Crimson Echoes Beta Squad
  • Time Traveler (+800)
  • ʇ ı  ʇ n o q ɐ  p ɹ ı ǝ ʍ ˙ ˙ ˙ ƃ u ı ɥ ʇ ǝ ɯ o s
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2009, 03:23:14 pm »
I'll accept the fact he won, but that doesn't make it any less profoundly retarded.

Not at all the good kind of retarded I'd expect from this series.

But yeah, Dalton didn't work at all on modifying the Epoch, that was pretty clear from watching the game. He sat in the main chair/throne and told them to put some bitchin' wings and lasers on it. (link... slightly NSFW) I'll give you that Dalton had some powerful magic and Golems, but it seems to me that after fighting Lavos he wouldn't be that difficult. Saying elements gave him the upper hand is like saying level one Serge could beat Crono if he had a black rock to throw at him.

The major problem here though is that we don't see anything of Dalton rising to power or corrupting Porre or fighting Guardia outside of the end result. If he had a bigger role in Trigger, or if his story was handled differently, it could have been an awesome thing, like EARTHBOUND/MOTHER3 SPOILERS Pokey/Porky being the main villain of Mother 3, a character who was even more ridiculous than Dalton.END SPOILERS. That was believable, the Dalton thing is just laughable.

ZealKnight

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Loyal Knight of the Kingdom of Zeal
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2009, 04:02:38 pm »
Saying elements gave him the upper hand is like saying level one Serge could beat Crono if he had a black rock to throw at him.

Your right, but remember Dalton had an entire army. Why wouldn't they all have elements? Sending wave after wave of element holding soldiers would eventually take Crono down. Lavos was powerful, not overwhelming. He could take out cities but there was still only one of him.