Poll

Magil or Guile?

Magil (teh awesum)
Guile (teh fruit)

Author Topic: Who is better, Magil or Guile?  (Read 9614 times)

Dark Serge

• Time Traveler (+800)
  • Now, let love bleed...
    • View Profile
Re: Who is better, Magil or Guile?
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2009, 06:46:45 pm »
In that case, I think it's safe to assume all the "Magil" fans here are really Magus fans, since you're the first one to note that. I guess the people who vote for Magil just think "Hmm Magil = Magus = Scythe", but that was obviously wrong.

Anyway, from now on voting for Magil 'cause he has a scythe is not a valid point anymore  :D

Zephira

• Bounty Hunter
  • Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • You're not afraid of the dark, are you?...Are you?
    • View Profile
    • My deviantArt page
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2009, 06:49:32 pm »
There's also an instance of him kicking a goblin in the face. But he mostly seems to stick to magic.

That HAS to be animated, that would be so awesome.
Yeah, I think the japanese RD even had a fancy name for Magil's fighting style. The closest he ever came to physical weapons was his Black Wind spell, where shafts of light turned into knife-like things. But that's magic, so that doesn't count.

alfadorredux

• Entity
  • Mystical Knight (+700)
  • Just a purple cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2009, 08:04:18 pm »
In that case, I think it's safe to assume all the "Magil" fans here are really Magus fans, since you're the first one to note that.

Actually, all it really proves is that I'm a pedant who was, at one point, doing a 2D-RPG-version-of-RD outline.  I like all three of the characters (yes, even Guile), but it's Magil who manages to retain at least a little of Magus' mystique.  Guile's a neat enough guy, but he lacks the hint of darkness that's still present in Magil.  He feels like the kind of person who'd have a hard time being serious, and I always did like drama better than comedy.

ZealKnight

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Loyal Knight of the Kingdom of Zeal
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2009, 08:50:40 pm »
Guile

C'mon, I wasn't gone THAT long...A one-word post? In a polling thread? You can do better than that and you know it. This is actually a kind of interesting thread (for the polling forum), even! Your one-word post basically gives the exact same information one could acquire by looking at the poll itself.
~V_Translanka

« Last Edit: April 09, 2009, 12:11:38 pm by V_Translanka »

maggiekarp

• Crimson Echoes Beta Squad
  • Time Traveler (+800)
  • ʇ ı  ʇ n o q ɐ  p ɹ ı ǝ ʍ ˙ ˙ ˙ ƃ u ı ɥ ʇ ǝ ɯ o s
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2009, 09:44:23 pm »
Magil. He's a darker character, but his story is less depressing.

ONSLAUGHT

• Springtime of Youth
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Crono + Panda = WTF Run!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2009, 10:17:32 pm »
...karate still beats out staff. And it's even better when that karate is so good it forces the script to mention how he flat footed a goblin in the face!
Plus, Guile good guy when drunk stuff. He's drunk his whole way through! Like Auron from FFX! Guile just hides his booze jug more carefully...

Zephira

• Bounty Hunter
    • View Profile
    • My deviantArt page
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2009, 10:22:30 pm »
Also, what kind of spell name is WandaIn? Maybe he really IS a pimp...
Either way, you don't need weapons if you have (good) magic.

When Magil busts the old guy out of his jail cell, did he bend the bars because he's just that muscular, or was magic involved?

utunnels

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2009, 10:52:19 pm »
WandaIn/インボディー(InBody)

Well, the JPN name is even more funny.  :picardno

When Magil busts the old guy out of his jail cell, did he bend the bars because he's just that muscular, or was magic involved?
Pure muscular power IMO.

Zephira

• Bounty Hunter
    • View Profile
    • My deviantArt page
« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2009, 10:58:44 pm »
You're amazing, utunnels.
So this means he's definitely a drunken, pimpin' vagabond/street performer, wine connoisseur and bar-stalker. Awesome.

He's gotta be huge to be able to bend iron bars on just muscle power. Wonder how many pushups he had to do before he could do that.

utunnels

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2009, 11:10:12 pm »
Wait, but how can you make such conclusion from the name?

Zephira

• Bounty Hunter
    • View Profile
    • My deviantArt page
« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2009, 11:35:01 pm »
Accumulated evidence. He hangs out at bars and he's a wine connoisseur, he wears flashy, fruity, gaudy clothes, and he uses magic tricks to put his wand in bodies. Almost considering changing my vote.. but Magil has better development.

utunnels

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2009, 11:49:58 pm »
The only flaw of Magil is he's almost flawless(tall, strong, handsome, erudite, discipline, cool-headed...). I'm not sure such a character is "well" developed, but I just like him. 8)
And about Guile, I don't know what if they really made him disguised Magus, would him be a wand user like current Guile? If so, sucks...

mav

• Magical Dreamer (+1250)
  • Gentleman Waiting in the Train Station at Twilight
    • View Profile
    • The RPG Realm
« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2009, 02:47:55 pm »
Scythes are almost always associated with death, perhaps it's too macabre for a "good guy" to be carrying around a scythe to kill people. If they turn Guile into Magus for any upcoming CC port, I'd hope that he'd fight with a scythe, and I hope that it's exclusive to him...and Lynx.

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2009, 12:05:09 pm »
Not all that interesting. Actually, he doesn't say much during the entire game. Sometimes he doesn't even fight. How do we know he uses a scythe anyway? Let's not forget RD is another dimension.

Both CC and even CT start out in new timelines. I say it's just part of how the series works.

Anyways, I think it's safe to assume that Magil still has access to his Scythes if he requires (though apparently he does not)...I mean, what? You think he's just gonna throw it away or something? Magil of the Shadows, man! He's got a Bag of Holding he keeps 'em in, obviously! Magil is so badass Serge was practically going gay for him at times...

Dark Serge

• Time Traveler (+800)
  • Now, let love bleed...
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2009, 02:40:04 pm »
Not all that interesting. Actually, he doesn't say much during the entire game. Sometimes he doesn't even fight. How do we know he uses a scythe anyway? Let's not forget RD is another dimension.

Both CC and even CT start out in new timelines. I say it's just part of how the series works.

Anyways, I think it's safe to assume that Magil still has access to his Scythes if he requires (though apparently he does not)...I mean, what? You think he's just gonna throw it away or something? Magil of the Shadows, man! He's got a Bag of Holding he keeps 'em in, obviously! Magil is so badass Serge was practically going gay for him at times...

In that case, seeing how Guile easily transforms his wand into a sword, I think they're equal in that respect.