Poll

Magil or Guile?

Magil (teh awesum)
Guile (teh fruit)

Author Topic: Who is better, Magil or Guile?  (Read 9813 times)

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
Re: Who is better, Magil or Guile?
« Reply #45 on: April 11, 2009, 01:32:18 pm »
What does that say about the game? Lots of variation, I'd think. Besides, all the story-intertwined characters have loads of unique scenes, and cool dialogue.

I would only say that two of them had loads: Kid and (to a lesser extent) Harle. Everyone else had some and a ton of unoriginal generic dialogue that some of them said with different accents. If you put lipstick on a pig, it's still a pig. The characters aren't CC's main draw.

Schala Zeal

• Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • 7th Elemental Innate, and vtuber
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 11, 2009, 01:36:38 pm »
Besides, who'd want to like a character named after a scripting language?

http://www.gnu.org/software/guile/

Dark Serge

• Time Traveler (+800)
  • Now, let love bleed...
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 11, 2009, 02:30:13 pm »
What does that say about the game? Lots of variation, I'd think. Besides, all the story-intertwined characters have loads of unique scenes, and cool dialogue.

I would only say that two of them had loads: Kid and (to a lesser extent) Harle. Everyone else had some and a ton of unoriginal generic dialogue that some of them said with different accents. If you put lipstick on a pig, it's still a pig. The characters aren't CC's main draw.

Actually, there's quite a few original dialogues you can get by making different choices in the game, not counting the translated accents. And if you also count characters' dialogues before they join you, the number only goes higher. Karsh, Viper, Zoah, Marcy, and all other characters that join you automatically.

Besides, who'd want to like a character named after a scripting language?

http://www.gnu.org/software/guile/

Better then a construction company. http://www.magil.com/

Or a clothing brand. http://www.boysitaliansuits.com/magil.htm

Or a cave. http://www.armeniapedia.org/index.php?title=Magil_Cave
« Last Edit: April 11, 2009, 02:59:50 pm by Dark Serge »

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 11, 2009, 03:02:34 pm »
Magus is cool, Guile is a wiener.

Guile doesn't even look tough.  His outfit looks like something David Hasselhoff would wear during a performance - I kid you not.  And his mask was sort of lame.

Oh, and he uses an effing wand.  What's cooler: a scythe or a wand?  Hmm...

The only thing Guile had going for him was the fact that he was a Shadow-innate and that he hovered when he ran.  Other than that... Guile can suck Magus' big toe.

Dark Serge

• Time Traveler (+800)
  • Now, let love bleed...
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 11, 2009, 03:14:05 pm »

Guile doesn't even look tough.  His outfit looks like something David Hasselhoff would wear during a performance - I kid you not.  And his mask was sort of lame.

The only thing Guile had going for him was the fact that he was a Shadow-innate and that he hovered when he ran.  Other than that... Guile can suck Magus' big toe.

Ok I understand some people hate Guile but how you can you possibly comment on his mask, lol. It's practically the same as Magil's. And Magil doesn't have a scythe.

Chrono'99

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 11, 2009, 03:17:52 pm »

Mmh, this is about Guile vs. Magil, not Magus. Magil doesn't carry a scythe and fights with martial art punches and kicks instead (in addition to magic). Both Magil and Guile wear golden masks.

IMO, Magil would look totally ridiculous with a scythe. As Kid's partner, he's meant to be a thief. Walking around with a giant crescent-shaped scythe of doom isn't exactly practical for a thief sneaking into a manor.

Zephira

• Bounty Hunter
  • Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • You're not afraid of the dark, are you?...Are you?
    • View Profile
    • My deviantArt page
« Reply #51 on: April 11, 2009, 03:20:57 pm »
I think Guile's mask is one of his best features, though I'm still trying to figure out just what the Fortune Teller's reaction to when he takes it off means. Is she swooning because he's just that handsome, or is he so ugly that he gave her a heart attack?
Perhaps Magil could use small hand-scythes that would be easier to conceal. Still, kicking goblins in the face is more fun.

Dark Serge

• Time Traveler (+800)
  • Now, let love bleed...
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 11, 2009, 03:25:31 pm »
I think Guile's mask is one of his best features, though I'm still trying to figure out just what the Fortune Teller's reaction to when he takes it off means. Is she swooning because he's just that handsome, or is he so ugly that he gave her a heart attack?
Perhaps Magil could use small hand-scythes that would be easier to conceal. Still, kicking goblins in the face is more fun.

I would think it's a play on Serge's reaction in RD when Magil's mask comes off.

I agree Magil shouldn't use scythes. And the character of Magil may be more developed then Guile's. Actually, that's probably so. However, I rather enjoyed the lighthearted Guile. Sure, it was a shame that characters like him didn't really get the chance to really shine because of all the other minor characters, but he's cool.

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 11, 2009, 03:33:09 pm »
Oh. Thought it was Magus vs. Guile.  Thanks for pointing that out, everyone and their mom.

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 11, 2009, 04:11:35 pm »
Dude, Magil became soooo much cooler for me when I realized he's a martial artist in addition to a magic user. Uber.

Dark Serge

• Time Traveler (+800)
  • Now, let love bleed...
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 11, 2009, 05:26:11 pm »
Oh. Thought it was Magus vs. Guile.  Thanks for pointing that out, everyone and their mom.

Well you should be relieved considering Magil is 100x better then Magus

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 12, 2009, 02:11:06 am »

Technically it IS Magus vs. Guile. Magil/Gil is just Magus later (who knows how much later?). Guile/Alf is just some random mage character.

And Gil is a better name than Alf. Better to be money than a cat-eating alien from an old sit-com...hmmm...or is it?

Zephira

• Bounty Hunter
  • Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • You're not afraid of the dark, are you?...Are you?
    • View Profile
    • My deviantArt page
« Reply #57 on: April 12, 2009, 02:17:51 am »
But wasn't Magil/Gil also named Gilbert in one of the RD scenarios? I think I'd prefer Alf over Gilbert.

Also:
Well you should be relieved considering Magil is 100x better then Magus
You got that backwards. Magil gets defeated by glowing rope. Magus beats up a giant monster and saves the world.

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Forever loyal to the Acacia Dragoons
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 12, 2009, 02:20:25 am »
But wasn't Magil/Gil also named Gilbert in one of the RD scenarios? I think I'd prefer Alf over Gilbert.

But then that Magil isn't the same Magil this poll is about.

And how is Gilbert an inferior name than Alf?

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 12, 2009, 02:24:58 am »
Yeah, Gilbert is a completely different character with his own unique past...Most of the time Magil/Gil is Magus and he is in the main scenario, so I think we should go with that version unless told otherwise...?