Author Topic: Chrono Cross 2D remakes?  (Read 2683 times)

Ishmayl

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
Chrono Cross 2D remakes?
« on: March 31, 2009, 04:43:53 pm »
Has there ever been any sort of serious consideration or work attempted on a 2D remake of Chrono Cross?  I would love to watch something like that progress.

Vehek

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
Re: Chrono Cross 2D remakes?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2009, 04:46:17 pm »
Demiforce was going to do a "Chrono Master" RPG engine and recreate Chrono Cross in it back in 2003, but it never got anywhere.

Ishmayl

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2009, 04:28:13 pm »
I don't suppose anyone else has seriously looked into this?

Dark Serge

• Time Traveler (+800)
  • Now, let love bleed...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2009, 04:39:02 pm »
Like I said elsewhere, CC in 2D would probably be impossible due to all the angles in the level designs. If you really want to go and create a 2D CC, you'd probably have to use the original backgrounds, and just use 2D sprites for all the other stuff. It would look a little awkward, but hey with a decent spriter the end result could be nice.

That's where the problem starts though, just try to find a decent spriter who feels like spriting 44 characters + animations + NPC's.

alfadorredux

• Entity
  • Mystical Knight (+700)
  • Just a purple cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2009, 05:22:13 pm »
In theory, it would be possible to redraw all the locations as 2D/tile-based, but the sheer number of tiles that would be involved boggles the mind even more than the number of sprites that would be required. :shock:

In other words, you're talking about getting a bloody big art team together, just for starters.  Then, well, you've got a somewhat eccentric combat/magic/consumable item system that would have to be reimplemented, which means doing things like figuring out how CC calculates attack damage (unless some bright boy with far too much time on his hands has already done so).  And CC is a big game, too, with a fair number of scripted events, each of which would have to be painstakingly transferred.

I won't say that it's impossible, but it would take years of work and probably nearly as many people as Squeenix needed to create the original game in the first place.  So chances are that anyone taking a serious look at the scope of the project would throw up his hands and run away.  Fast.  (Not to mention, aren't remakes just about the only thing that Squeenix actually takes the time to fire off C&Ds at?)

mav

• Magical Dreamer (+1250)
  • Gentleman Waiting in the Train Station at Twilight
    • View Profile
    • The RPG Realm
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2009, 06:13:10 pm »
Aye, there's been a precedent for SE to close down ports, but, yeah, it's a huge project to take on. I doubt we'll ever see a 2D Cross, for the reasons already mentioned, but who knows...

This kinda reminds me of when some group was trying to make RD in CT-style...that got nowhere and looked terrible.

Dark Serge

• Time Traveler (+800)
  • Now, let love bleed...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2009, 06:26:52 pm »
Well, it's basically the same as CT Resurrection. Alot of hard work and no end product.

alfadorredux

• Entity
  • Mystical Knight (+700)
  • Just a purple cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2009, 07:59:13 pm »
This kinda reminds me of when some group was trying to make RD in CT-style...that got nowhere and looked terrible.

The problems with porting RD are a whole different kettle of fish, though.  The graphics involved aren't excessive (3 PC sprite sets, ~20 NPCs and enemies, and ~5 tilesets), but the story would have to be, er, radically altered at some points to be workable as a 2D RPG instead of a visual novel.  And yeah, that one I actually did look at seriously.

Danetta

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Porrean (+50)
  • So where is it going?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2015, 06:22:44 pm »
Necroposting time come there.

Chrono Community never was alive, so i will not try to say something like "everything is dead". A lot of time has pass, we are no longer capable of being late.

I am currently busy with big Chrono Cross Project like "Hardcore Enhace Mod", which properly discussed on gamefaq, but just want to say, it's not hard to re-create CC as 2D game. I can code all the stuff after all the experience i got from CC, we just lack of painters (image-artists, i don't know how to spell it).