Poll

Are you Canadian?

Yes
3 (20%)
No
12 (80%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Voting closed: April 18, 2005, 07:01:06 pm

Author Topic: The Canadian Connection  (Read 2254 times)

Leebot

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Black Wind Agent (+600)
    • View Profile
    • Infophilia
The Canadian Connection
« on: April 18, 2005, 07:01:06 pm »
This is just a trend I've noticed, but it seems that quite a few people here are Canadian (or live in Canada), myself included (born in Calgary, going to university in Waterloo). Who else here is Canadian?

Daniel Krispin

The Canadian Connection
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2005, 09:14:33 pm »
I'm Canadian as well, for those who did not know. Oh, wait... it says it on the left. So I suppose that's quite apparent, then.

Chrono'99

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
The Canadian Connection
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2005, 07:58:11 am »
Ah. I'm French, and my uncle lives in Québec. I don't have a single drop of Canadian blood in my veins but I plan on living there someday. Canada is a really really beautiful country (and Québec shouldn't separate, that's stupid).

Radical_Dreamer

• Entity
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
    • The Chrono Compendium
The Canadian Connection
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2005, 08:25:08 pm »
I've been a couple of times, once to Windsor (not sure the province, it's just north of Michigan) and once to Richmond, BC. BC is a lot prettier, IMO, and it was a nice drive. We wound up right at the edge of China Town, and it was a bit shady, but I got my Aero Bars and Candian coke, so alls well. It seems that a dollar goes farther in Canada (meaning a Canadian dollar in Canada versus a US dollar in the US).

I have vague plans to go to Vancouver at some point, I've heard nothing but good...well, except for a hooker vomiting on the street. But other than that, I hear Vancouver is quite nice.

yoshie

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
The Canadian Connection
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2005, 08:15:27 pm »
i live in NS halifax and i cant speak a word of french

SilentMartyr

• Magical Dreamer (+1250)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.chronotrigger.info
The Canadian Connection
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2005, 01:38:54 pm »
I used to live in Vermont, an hour from the Canadian border. I traversed there a few times. Mostly to take advantage of the lower drinking age.

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
The Canadian Connection
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2005, 03:15:11 pm »
I live in Washington State, which practically makes me, like, an eighth Canadian by default, I believe...I've been to Vancouver a few times (at least, I think it was Vancouver...That's the one that's close over here, right...? w/e).

I'm totally cool with Canada...I remember one memory of Canada in particular...It was a bowling alley, I believe...And, like I would do at most bowling alleys (my mother and step father were often league bowlers), I went straight for the arcade...And what did my young eyes behold? A simple puzzle game, much like Tetris or Dr. Mario...BUT! In the background was a layer of bricks...Whenever you completed a level, a portion of the bricks was removed...and, when you got them all removed, you were rewarded with a naked pic (I now no longer remember if they were actual girls or if they were some kind of hentai girls...but, I believe it to be the former)! OMG! My adolescent brain could hardly cope. I believe I pumped at least $5 into that thing by the end of the night...Man, I wish I knew the name of that game...It was wierd because I never saw anybody else play it, and nobody ever looked over my shoulder to see what I was playing...

Plus, whenever we'd go over to Canada, I'd get mutha fuckin TOBLERONE! I'm pretty sure I've had every freakin size Toblerone there is...Even those whacky octagonal eight packs of the small sticks...MMMmmmm...Toblerone...Sheeit...I don't even know if I'm spelling that right...

Man, I have absurd Canadian memories...If it weren't so shit cold, I'd probably move there eventually (maybe I will anyways)...

GreenGannon

• Squaretable Knight (+400)
    • View Profile
The Canadian Connection
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2005, 07:30:15 pm »
Quote from: V_Translanka
I live in Washington State, which practically makes me, like, an eighth Canadian by default, I believe...I've been to Vancouver a few times (at least, I think it was Vancouver...That's the one that's close over here, right...? w/e).

Yeah, me too.

Washington is the Chrono Trigger of states. By which I mean, it kicks the ass of every other state and is on par with Canada. W00t!

Leebot

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Black Wind Agent (+600)
    • View Profile
    • Infophilia
The Canadian Connection
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2005, 09:17:49 pm »
Quote from: GreenGannon

Yeah, me too.

Washington is the Chrono Trigger of states. By which I mean, it kicks the ass of every other state and is on par with Canada. W00t!

I'd have to agree with that. I lived there for three years after leaving Canada. I was far enough north of Seattle to avoid the rain problems, so it all-in-all very good.

Daniel Krispin

The Canadian Connection
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2005, 10:49:18 pm »
Man, I have absurd Canadian memories...If it weren't so shit cold, I'd probably move there eventually (maybe I will anyways)...

BC apparently isn't so bad. It's a little rainy, but not nearly so frightfully cold as other places. Plus it's got all the nice mountainous terrain. My native Alberta has a little bit of that, but I'm right in the middle of the prairies, so it's flat... and very cold in winter. 20C below 0, and that's not even that bad. I'd wager we've got it as bad as some of the north central prairie states in the US do. But, hey, I'm not complaining: at least we don't get frightfully warm summers.

Radical_Dreamer

• Entity
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
    • The Chrono Compendium
The Canadian Connection
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2005, 05:52:15 am »
Quote from: Leebot
Quote from: GreenGannon

Yeah, me too.

I'd have to agree with that. I lived there for three years after leaving Canada. I was far enough north of Seattle to avoid the rain problems, so it all-in-all very good.

Wow, I live in Washington myself, as does Lord J Esq. Bunch of us up here it seems.

Lazarus Plus

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
The Canadian Connection
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2005, 05:45:17 pm »
I live in Oregon. West Linn, to be precise. It's not great, seeing as there is nothing to do in this town so you always have to go somewhere else to have fun.

Radical_Dreamer

• Entity
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
    • The Chrono Compendium
The Canadian Connection
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2005, 06:50:26 pm »
I'm no fan of Oregon. Gas-station facist bastards.

Lazarus Plus

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
The Canadian Connection
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2005, 07:02:36 pm »
Quote from: Radical_Dreamer

Screw you, punk. I work at a Chevron.

Radical_Dreamer

• Entity
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
    • The Chrono Compendium
The Canadian Connection
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2005, 07:07:26 pm »
Quote from: Lazarus Plus
Quote from: Radical_Dreamer

Screw you, punk. I work at a Chevron.

It doesn't bother me that there are full service stations in Oregon. That's fine. What pisses me off is that all gas stations are full service by law. That's just plain asinine.