Author Topic: Chrono Cross DS: Is it Possible?  (Read 10619 times)

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
Re: Chrono Cross DS: Is it Possible?
« Reply #60 on: May 09, 2009, 12:27:26 am »
Chrono Cross on the DS? The game has a resolution of 800x600, the DS sadly only has like 267x???, the amount of RAM and the power of the CPU also couldnt support it seeing that the DS only has a 4MB RAM and a 33MHz cpu, there is no TECHNICAL way for the DS to possibly handle the amount of polygons or any other specs for that matter,

but remember,
Just because its not TECHNICALLY possible, doesnt mean it wont happen.

Well of course you couldn't just take the game and stick it on the ds. There's no cd insert  :lol:

I think what's being discussed is a port/rehash and whether that would work. And 4mb RAM? That sounds like a lot, especially considering the size of the DS.

mav

• Magical Dreamer (+1250)
  • Gentleman Waiting in the Train Station at Twilight
    • View Profile
    • The RPG Realm
« Reply #61 on: May 09, 2009, 12:36:05 am »
DSi has a 16MB RAM and a processor that can be clocked at 133MHz...whatever that means.

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 09, 2009, 12:41:31 am »
DSi has a 16MB RAM and a processor that can be clocked at 133MHz...whatever that means.
That means it's got 16 times the RAM my computer has! Ha!

utunnels

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 09, 2009, 12:44:15 am »
PSX only has 2mb ram/1mb vram and a 33MHz CPU.
CC uses 320x224 resolution for most scenes, although it renders the menu under ???x448, that's why the menu arts look so huge.
http://www.chronocompendium.com/images/wiki/e/e2/CCCharactersMenu.png

Dark3mx

• Guardian (+100)
  • Those wings... I want them too.
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 09, 2009, 10:47:07 am »
Chrono Cross on the DS? The game has a resolution of 800x600, the DS sadly only has like 267x???, the amount of RAM and the power of the CPU also couldnt support it seeing that the DS only has a 4MB RAM and a 33MHz cpu, there is no TECHNICAL way for the DS to possibly handle the amount of polygons or any other specs for that matter,

but remember,
Just because its not TECHNICALLY possible, doesnt mean it wont happen.

Well of course you couldn't just take the game and stick it on the ds. There's no cd insert  :lol:

I think what's being discussed is a port/rehash and whether that would work. And 4mb RAM? That sounds like a lot, especially considering the size of the DS.

... I meant, if you own a flash cart, as in R4,NDSTT,M3,Cyclo... wait, scratch that first one, it sucks, but anyways, there might be a waya LONG time down the road where a PSX emu might be able to run at like 10FPS on the DS Lite.

With the specs of the DSi tho, SE might just make a port pf the game, if not, that sream of an emulator might just happen, it's just that there are only 2 working flash carts for the DSi, and each time the DSi updates its firmware, those flash carts get shut out for a week or two.

RedNeckJiuJitsu

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 11, 2009, 12:59:17 am »
You'd think they don't want people running homebrew software on there or something...

IAmSerge

• Temporal Warrior (+900)
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 11, 2009, 01:06:30 am »
You'd think they don't want people running homebrew software on there or something...

No wai orly?

Dark3mx

• Guardian (+100)
  • Those wings... I want them too.
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 11, 2009, 06:27:33 pm »

No wai orly?

Umm, Flash carts are in no way connected to nintendo, other than that they run on their product. carts are used for LEGAL rom backups/homebrew/movies/music/etc.

MDenham

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
  • Glowsticks are not a weapon.
    • View Profile
    • Java IRC - konata.echoes-online.com
« Reply #68 on: May 11, 2009, 06:30:06 pm »
carts are used for LEGAL rom backups
Nintendo's official legal standpoint: there ain't no such animal.

IAmSerge

• Temporal Warrior (+900)
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 11, 2009, 06:44:59 pm »

No wai orly?

Umm, Flash carts are in no way connected to nintendo, other than that they run on their product. carts are used for LEGAL rom backups/homebrew/movies/music/etc.

oh wait, my bad
I was misinterpretting the post above mine, as if it said "You'd think they don't want people getting roms off the internet and running them on there or something..."

after rereading it, I don't exactly know how I misunderstood that >.>

RedNeckJiuJitsu

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 12, 2009, 03:18:48 pm »
It's easy to misunderstand what I said, because I was thinking of illegal ROMs, too. In reality, though, Nintendo probably doesn't want people coming up with their own software to run on a Nintendo produced machine. IIRC, they aren't too fond of Game Shark, Action Replay, Game Genie, etc. Homebrew stuff was one of the main reasons I got a DS, besides CT, so they're thinking that it's not good for their bottom line is BS. Just like any juggernaut (such as the music and movie/TV industries) that's been able to just shovel out about whatever they want and have people buy it, homebrew games/software gives people more options. The big companies don't like that now, not only do they have to compete with each other, they also have to compete with people making stuff at home. Apple has embraced this with iPhone apps. Microsoft has started to learn. Nintendo still hasn't come around, yet.

Radical_Dreamer

• Entity
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
    • The Chrono Compendium
« Reply #71 on: May 13, 2009, 02:16:18 pm »
Apple gets a cut of every sale at the AppStore. Likewise, Microsoft sees a piece of Community Games sales. Nintendo (or anyone else, for that matter) doesn't see a dime from homebrew.

RedNeckJiuJitsu

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 14, 2009, 02:27:11 am »
I wasn't referring to Community Games when I said Microsoft, as I don't even know what that is. Moreso their realization that people with Macs may use other MS products (Office for OSX) as well as that open-source stuff (Firefox, for 1) can be a threat to their business and turn out a product that's as good or better than theirs.

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 14, 2009, 02:43:45 am »
Somebody who knows what they're doing with this kind of thing should make a deal with Nintendo to have them make a homebrew channel on the Wii menu or in the Virtual Console Shopping thing. Third party roms. Set a precedent. Make some dough. Nintendo can emulate Apple a lil bit more than it already has (Wiimote and console look like accessories for ipods). Say the roms that are based on or use sprites and music get $0/sale for the developer and $10 for Nintendo, then origial and commissioned games the developer would get $10 and Nintendo would get $5 or something. That totally should have been done a year ago.

:picardno

Enigma Outlaw

• Earthbound (+15)
  • Guru of Enigma
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 14, 2009, 06:28:24 am »
Well I kinda skimmed over the topic. I say if it can be done that it would sell well but somehow like a few other people this strikes me as being more likely on the PSP. In any case I wouldn't be surprised if a CCDS/PSP does come out. However as opposed to such a huge cast of useless characters I think they need to maybe drop at least 20 of them and focus more on the characters that actually matter to the story. Finally they need to retcon Guile=Magus because let's face it: CTDS added big hints to it and along with some of Gulie's personal info and stats matching Magus it's too obvious in my opinion.....