Author Topic: Chrono Cross DS: Is it Possible?  (Read 10776 times)

Dark Serge

• Time Traveler (+800)
  • Now, let love bleed...
    • View Profile
Re: Chrono Cross DS: Is it Possible?
« Reply #30 on: April 15, 2009, 07:42:55 am »
I'd rather have CC ported onto PSP where it could not only retain, but possibly ADD to content (I always thought it was SORELY lacking in FMVs for instance) rather than detract from it by trying to port it onto DS.

If Square wants to have it on DS with extra FMV's, they can make it happen. Besides, with the DS there's room for touch screen functionality, which they can use for some cool things. With the PSP it's just buttons & joystick again but on a smaller screen.

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #31 on: April 15, 2009, 08:02:12 am »
How much room is there exactly on a DS memory stick...? How much do FMVs take up...?

Dark Serge

• Time Traveler (+800)
  • Now, let love bleed...
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 15, 2009, 08:07:29 am »
In AVI format they're about 30 MB, but I'm sure they're compressed in the actual game. These are just FMV's ripped with a recording utility.

Samopoznanie

• Enlightened One (+200)
  • Playing Upon the Strings of Emptiness
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 15, 2009, 02:00:21 pm »
Alternately, if a port isn't possible I think it would be great to see a sort of side-story to CC or CT appear on the DS, like they've done with FF Crystal Chronicles and a few other big franchises. :D

mav

• Magical Dreamer (+1250)
  • Gentleman Waiting in the Train Station at Twilight
    • View Profile
    • The RPG Realm
« Reply #34 on: April 15, 2009, 04:19:17 pm »
I'd rather have CC ported onto PSP where it could not only retain, but possibly ADD to content (I always thought it was SORELY lacking in FMVs for instance) rather than detract from it by trying to port it onto DS.
I agree wholeheartedly. But what Samopoznanie just mentioned sounds pretty feasible too; didn't/isn't Kingdom Hearts gonna have a handful of games, with separate games for the DS and PSP? They're two different stories that still add to the continuity. And I think FF is doing something along those lines with the Ivalice Alliance.

Dark Serge

• Time Traveler (+800)
  • Now, let love bleed...
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 15, 2009, 04:20:32 pm »
When KH for the DS does hit, I hope everyone will see that CC on the DS is very possible.

RedNeckJiuJitsu

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 21, 2009, 01:40:12 am »
I would love to see CC make it to the DS so I can play it without buying another system.

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 21, 2009, 08:12:38 am »
Yeah, that's what they like after all, us NOT spending ridiculous amounts of money...V_V

placidchap

• Temporal Warrior (+900)
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 21, 2009, 08:20:06 am »
Yeah, that's what they like after all, us NOT spending ridiculous amounts of money...V_V

That's what emulators are for.

Dark Serge

• Time Traveler (+800)
  • Now, let love bleed...
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 21, 2009, 12:02:25 pm »

Square Enix doesn't get any profit for PSP's that are sold though, so it's not like there would really be an edge for them to release it on PSP. Only one who profits off that is Sony.

HyperNerd

• Springtime of Youth
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • In Guardia we trust
    • View Profile
    • Surreal Squad homepage
« Reply #40 on: April 21, 2009, 12:12:57 pm »
I would freaking love it if they released it on DS, but it's not plausible AT ALL.
First off, it would be much, much easier for them to do it on PSP.
It handles PSX-like games well.
The DS is lacking in the cinematics and fancy stuff the PSP has in exchange for a second screen with touch functionality, and handles N64-like games well.
However, if they are insane enough to do it, I mean, they announced Dragon Quest IX(?) would be on it, so...
IX has multiple cartridges, so they could do that if they needed to.
Which they would.

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 21, 2009, 06:56:22 pm »
The only way for them to make profit off of the games they release on PSP is to get people to buy a PSP though...But I understand what you mean, they don't directly profit from PSP sales (though doesn't Sony own some stock or some such in Square still...?)...

EDIT: It took me to just now to realize that this topic doesn't really belong in the CTDS forum.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2009, 10:06:07 am by V_Translanka »

satchel_dawg

« Reply #42 on: April 24, 2009, 09:42:03 am »
cc would definately fit onto the ds. the graphics would definately be supported, i've seen some really high graphics on the ds before. really the only problem would be the length of the game, they'd also probably have to  cut a few characters to make it fit on the cartridge.

FouCapitan

• Black Wind Agent (+600)
  • Whatever it is, I'm against it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 24, 2009, 11:02:19 am »
(though doesn't Sony own some stock or some such in Square still...?)

I don't think so, but I do know that in the late 90s Squaresoft signed on for a number of exclusive titles to be released for Sony.  I think that's what's preventing any of the PS1 ports from being released outside of PSP or PS3s online market.

Now a "remake" of Chrono Cross for the DS may be doable, working around their old agreement with Sony.  Change the graphics, add features, tweak the systems around and suddenly it's not the same game on a different system, and Sony has no rights to claim the title as their exlusive property anymore.

Of course, the PSP basically being a portable PS1 with UMD video hardware makes porting there a lot easier.

ONSLAUGHT

• Springtime of Youth
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Crono + Panda = WTF Run!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 24, 2009, 11:03:36 am »
Eh, CC on DS would be great and all but I'd rather see Radical Dreamers.