Author Topic: Why are you here?  (Read 8547 times)

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
Why are you here?
« on: March 23, 2009, 12:37:41 pm »
What was the thing that drew you to Chrono Trigger (or Cross) in the first place?

For me, it was the huge combination of Time Travel, dinosaurs, an apocalyptic future with robots, and the floating Atlantis.

(I was in third grade in 1995 and that's what I liked. I don't feel ashamed that I'm drawn to the same things to this day)

Romana

• Springtime of Youth
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Fight the Future
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
Re: Why are you here?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2009, 01:19:57 pm »
I wanted a new SNES rom back in 2003 or so, and I had all the FF RPGs at the time, so I finally decided to give in and try out Chrono Trigger after reading a few reviews. I got hooked quickly, and I specifically recall mentioning to friends how it was the best game I had ever played. I found the Compendium shortly after getting the rom; I eventually signed up (ie 2006), and uh, history was made?

For the record, I used the Encyclopedia here like crazy when I was lurking.

Zephira

• Bounty Hunter
  • Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • You're not afraid of the dark, are you?...Are you?
    • View Profile
    • My deviantArt page
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2009, 02:43:55 pm »
I wish I could remember what got me hooked on this game in the first place (it was probably Ayla and "Maggie" being badass though). I was five when I first beat the game. In the ensuing years, whenever I did a google search for fanart, fiction, endings or anything else, this site would show up. Took me until just recently to realize the Compendium was also a forum.

mav

• Magical Dreamer (+1250)
  • Gentleman Waiting in the Train Station at Twilight
    • View Profile
    • The RPG Realm
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2009, 03:20:27 pm »
Well, I rented it on the SNES way back when it came out, finished it, returned it. Five years later, I got into a huge SNES phase and played through a ton of Square RPGs, and I've considered CT the greatest game of all time ever since. Eventually I started looking around for Chrono Break, then quickly realized that went nowhere. Some time later I started using this encyclopedia and lurked around for a couple years. But after trying out the Prophet's Guile, I had to congratulate the makers on how well they did.

And since then, I haven't stopped posting.

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2009, 03:22:55 pm »
I'm here thanks to Wal-Mart. It was there, in late 1994 or early 1995 that I picked up a Nintendo Power magazine randomly, and it just happened to have an early preview of Chrono Trigger. I thought Magus' name was Melchior back then, because they had a description of Melchior at the Millennial Fair right next to a drawing of Magus. I remember thinking, "Man, that Melchior is such a badass!"

Well, even so, Melchior is pretty badass.

ONSLAUGHT

• Springtime of Youth
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Crono + Panda = WTF Run!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2009, 04:01:08 pm »
I saw someone checking it out. I gave it a shot.
I have never been the same since.

teaflower

• Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • Dreams are the gateway to reality.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2009, 04:52:37 pm »
My sister downloaded a ROM of Chrono Trigger two or three years ago, along with a ROM of FF6. I never got into FF6, but once I got into Chrono I could never go back. My sister bought for me Chrono Cross sometime near then, and I played it until they hid the game. Like most things, I began to write fiction for it. Crappy fiction, but fiction nonetheless.

Then I heard about the Dream Splash of 2007.

And here I am.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2009, 04:57:46 pm »
Ramsus told me to play Chrono Trigger and Chrono Cross in 2002.

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2009, 05:03:57 pm »
I saw a few screen shots of it and thought "Hey, it looks like it has similar gameplay to Secret of Mana! Man, I gotta get me some of that."

I subsequently painted the outside of my parents house to get the money for the (then newly released) game.

CC, I got and played because of the Compendium, actually. While I got a PS2 specifically so I could get that, I was lazy and didn't bother for ages.

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2009, 07:56:15 pm »
It was my first RPG.  It was described to me by a friend, and in my head I saw it as a 2D side scroller akin to Mega Man (after all, he was talking about 2300 AD having robots and stuff).  I rented it from the Giant Eagle super market and re-rented it several times over.  Eventually I asked them if I could buy it and they said, "Yes. Buy it for $5.00, please!"  And I did. 

(What a loss for them!)

GWAH HA HA!

I had been watching the Chrono Compendium since it first emerged (when was that? late 2003?), but never been one to like forums, I always stayed out there as a Guest.  Eventually, after Prophet's Guile was released, I caved and decided that I just had to be a part of this community.  And here I am.

This is the only forum I visit, actually.

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Forever loyal to the Acacia Dragoons
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2009, 07:58:11 pm »
By a friend who recommended me several games to play, with CT being one of them.

Delta Dragon

• Creative Emeritus
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2009, 08:15:21 pm »
I'd heard the name Chrono trigger, but never remembered it and it just whizzed past me.  Then one day My brother came home with a used copy of Chrono cross.  After I figured out what it was and tried it out, that's what really drew me in.

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2009, 11:34:09 pm »
Yeah, as far as the Compendium, I was reading the encyclopedia way before I checked out the forums.

Prophet's Guile is definitely what made me take the forums more seriously and decide to seek out other fan projects.

Ever since the Dream Team ending, which I got in 1996, I've been waiting for Chrono Trigger 2. Chrono Cross came out and all I could think was OMG that's either teenage Janus or Crono's little blue-haired brother! I was pissed when I actually played it though. I appreciate Cross much more now, but I don't think I ever got over that initial anger.

But that anger would never even be there if I didn't love Trigger so much!

Uboa

• Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2009, 11:46:54 pm »
It was my first RPG.  It was described to me by a friend, and in my head I saw it as a 2D side scroller akin to Mega Man (after all, he was talking about 2300 AD having robots and stuff).  I rented it from the Giant Eagle super market and re-rented it several times over.  Eventually I asked them if I could buy it and they said, "Yes. Buy it for $5.00, please!"  And I did. 

Damn!

Everyone told me I was lucky to find CT for ten dollars in a used bin.  Is finding it for five a record?

I joined these forums after watching a play-through of Radical Dreamers on youtube, and geeking the hell out when Magus (Magil) set a goblin's head on fire.  That little episode led to quite a bit of compulsive fan fiction writing.

Chrono Trigger had to have been my favorite RPG since Final Fantasy IV.  I loved the Zeal story, and Magus' enigmatic past and future was always a subject of curiosity for me.  The Lucca/Robo relationship also got me thinking since, for me, it was an introduction to exploring the potential of AI.  (I was, I think, in 6th grade at the time...)  The first time I watched ending where Crono and Marle flew away on the balloons at the fair is a memory that triggers pangs of emotional nostalgia to this day.  No joke.

Confession time:  I never actually played Chrono Cross, although I've researched the game quite a bit.  I only recently downloaded the ROM and will hopefully get it working on PCSX.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2009, 12:20:55 am »
As a teenager, The Secret of Mana was my favorite RPG. I had rented it from the video store a few times and made it as far as the Upperlands before having to return it. When I went to college, I found a website dedicated to preserving the memory of SoM, its sequel (never officially translated into English), and a game called Chrono Trigger. She also made ROMs of the three games available on her site, so I learned about emulation and discovered I could play SNES games on my computer.

I had a blast playing SoM...I finally made it to the end! Secret of Mana 2 wasn't so much fun. Chrono Trigger was very hard for me to get into, because up to that point I had only played RPGs where battle occurred through movements on screen rather than menu action. I played Chrono Trigger for a few hours before putting the game aside.

Six months later I came back to it and played it all the way through in my dorm room over a period of about two or three days. I was stunned! This game would go on to become one of my favorite two RPGs along with Final Fantasy VI.

The website where I discovered this game is long gone, but it accomplished its mission, at least for me, at least for now!