Author Topic: Recycling bad guys...  (Read 2585 times)

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Forever loyal to the Acacia Dragoons
    • View Profile
Re: Recycling bad guys...
« Reply #30 on: April 15, 2009, 01:37:20 am »
Don't think so, since the name of the three Vitas were taken from those of the Greeks' Three Fates.

Considering that, it doesn't have a relation with the robot Atropos. But then again, Robo's name was also taken from Greek mythology. A connection, but since the name of the other R-Series was never given, there is no definite answer there.

Chrono'99

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 15, 2009, 06:29:55 am »
Acacia Sgt is right. Atropos is the name given to the statue, which looks like the Greek goddess, not the guardian machine. Besides, Robo's "girlfriend" was called Atropos XR. It wasn't necessarily "the" unique Atropos of the Chrono world.

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #32 on: April 15, 2009, 06:34:06 am »
Wait, are you saying that since the Vitas of CC were named for the Fates that there couldn't be a connection to Atropos from CT, who was the first character in the series to be named after one of the Fates?? How is that not a striking connection? It's even relatively easy to connect the Vitas with two other characters (or components of those characters anyways) from that first character's background. I agree there's no definite answer, but it seems like a fairly big coincidence for there to be no relation at all...

If nothing else, it's probably a quirk of the Mother Brain that named Atropos that way, since Atropos in mythology was the eldest sister who cut the threads of fate (much like Mother Brain was trying to accomplish with the humans)...then the Mother Brain was ironically used to create FATE...perhaps it was those remnants that used the knowledge of the Fates to create FATE's 3 guardians...or else it was the creator of FATE that remade Atropos, but chose to include her 2 sisters as safeguards...FATE itself really imitates the Fates of mythology when you think about it....

XR is her model type. Robo is an R-type. XR probably means she was the first of the R-types..."X" is usually connotative with experimental in these terms (ala PSX).
« Last Edit: April 15, 2009, 06:37:29 am by V_Translanka »

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 15, 2009, 01:46:53 pm »
Taking a look in the encyclopedia, it appears that her name was "Atropos 145" in Japanese. Thus, the prototype concept wouldn't fit.

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 15, 2009, 05:57:16 pm »
Well then it's even less meaningless and it's just a random model number...I wonder why that number was chosen, though...

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 15, 2009, 06:37:05 pm »
Perhaps it was Kato's high score in Frogger. But seriously, most likely it was random.

Magus_Brokenhart

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 22, 2009, 01:33:42 am »
Chrono Cross is all about Crono Trigger then...Don't see why people complain that it was so difference. There are so many connections.

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 22, 2009, 04:08:20 am »
The connections are there, it's just that for the most part you gotta dig for 'em or else they're just vague references & Easter egg-type stuff for the more hardcore fans, I think...Or else revealed in the last 15-minutes...>_>

Delta Dragon

• Creative Emeritus
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 22, 2009, 02:14:04 pm »
At least from my knowledge, most of the people complaining about how they're nothing alike are the people who are too lazy to look for the similarities.

RedNeckJiuJitsu

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 22, 2009, 11:05:17 pm »
When I first heard about and saw Cross, I was a bit put-off that it didn't see directly related to Trigger. So, I didn't try to hard to find a way to play it. Having read through some of this stuff, though, I'm more looking forward to getting a chance to play, now that I have that available to me.