Poll

What is the worst sequel idea for the Chrono series possible?

1: Crono returns to save the Earth from an alien invasion!  New weapons, new vehicles, and intense multiplayer deathmatch modes in an all out shoot 'em up bloodbath!
6 (14.6%)
2: Lavos returns yet again, taking over the world and reviving all of Crono and Serge's past enemies!
4 (9.8%)
3: Marle, Kid and Lucca exploring the world while treasure hunting and fighting an evil syndicate of rival treasure hunters!  (Complete with mandatory fanservice costume changes)
3 (7.3%)
4: Chrono Trigger 3:  Dalton's Revenge!  An free roaming action-adventure game where you play the villain, destroying all of civilization in search of hair care products!  Over 100 different endings and dozens of bonus characters to choose from!
4 (9.8%)
5: Chrono Monsters Green and Plaid.  Crono's son Dash travels the world trying to collect all 9,863 Chronomon and take on the Elite 6 in the End of Time tournament!  Become master of all Chronomon!
10 (24.4%)
6: Chrono Trigger DS Turbo!  New hidden characters, slightly enhanced graphics, new half assed bonus dungeons, and half a new ending!  Own the penultimate edition of Chrono Trigger on your DS (again) today!  $49.99 + tax, PAL release to be announced...
7 (17.1%)
7: Other (Please specify)
7 (17.1%)

Total Members Voted: 41

Author Topic: Worst Sequel Ever!  (Read 4250 times)

FouCapitan

• Black Wind Agent (+600)
  • Whatever it is, I'm against it.
    • View Profile
Worst Sequel Ever!
« on: March 23, 2009, 02:34:42 am »
Following the "Lamest retcon ever" poll, what would be the worst idea for a sequel ever!

Many series have had games completely decimate the feel and spirit of their predesessors (Some even argue that Cross did that, but we ignore them with 'STFU nerfbats').  Castlevania 2, the CDI Zelda games, Final Fantasy X-2 (which wasn't that bad =P), Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter, and so on.  So what would be the be all end all worst sequel idea for the Chrono series?

Edit:  I voted for the Chrono Pokemon clone, because it sounds so bad that I'm ashamed to have thought of it.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2009, 02:39:34 am by FouCapitan »

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
Re: Worst Sequel Ever!
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2009, 12:28:45 pm »
Chronomon definitely.

That's what I was afraid the multiplayer in CTDS would turn out to be. It's already way too close.

The play-as-Dalton game actually sounds kinda fun.

ONSLAUGHT

• Springtime of Youth
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Crono + Panda = WTF Run!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2009, 04:11:40 pm »
I said other because one thing was missed...

A game on Crono and the gang owning a farm! And on this farm pesky Dalton likes to come in sometimes and spoil the crops! Stop Dalton by telling him "No." Obviously as the main character Crono would be the one to tell him while everyone else has the IQ of a toothpick so that you get to teach your teammates everything you know about farming! And it's realtime too! As in you can't leave them alone for a second or all hell breaks loose!
It's be called Chrono Crop!

:shock:

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2009, 04:21:39 pm »
Other:

Chrono Pocket Pals!

Feed, care, and train your favorite Chrono Trigger character from an egg to a full grown adult. Teach Magus how to use the potty and cast Dark Matter. Unlock costumes and give your Pals a makeover.

Zephira

• Bounty Hunter
  • Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • You're not afraid of the dark, are you?...Are you?
    • View Profile
    • My deviantArt page
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2009, 04:38:50 pm »
Thought, that actually sounds plausible. Tamagatchi anyone?

I vote other:

Chrono Trigger Dating Sim! You can choose to play as either Crono or Marle, or even secret unlockable character, Ozzie!
Plot: Lavos is back, and badder than ever! The only way to defeat it is with the power of LOVE. Our lonely hero must find their true soul mate, and together they will banish Lavos forever through the ritual of marriage! The final battle will be much easier if you can get one of the antisocial characters to fall for you.
Over 50 characters available to be your partner! Anyone from Frog to Ayla, Serge to ZOAH, Magus to Guile (or both at once, as they become the same person through the supersecret fusion dance!), and everyone in between!

ONSLAUGHT

• Springtime of Youth
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2009, 06:59:16 pm »
Gotta agree with Zephira on the Tamagatchi thing. Plus that'd just be downright hilarious.

As for Dating Sim, love doesn't sound too corny, considering much of the actual story has to do with friendship.
However, sexual Ozzie instantly tortures my mind.

I must concede, that is what would make that not just bad, but my head might actually explode.

teaflower

• Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • Dreams are the gateway to reality.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2009, 07:04:30 pm »
The dating thing does sound really bad, but so does the Chronomon.

But I'm not thinking Pokemon rip off. Oh, no.

I'm thinking DIGIMON RIP OFF.

Think about it. A bunch of kids get sucked up in time and find these super cute things they call Chronomon, and they Chronovolve into bigger awesomer things! Like one finds an itsy bitsy little Janusmon and says OH MY GOD SO CUTE! They then run around for a little while, then something happens that threatens the kid. Janusmon, Chronovolve to... MAGUSMON!

Chronomon, chronicle monsters, Chronomon are the champions!

Zephira

• Bounty Hunter
  • Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • You're not afraid of the dark, are you?...Are you?
    • View Profile
    • My deviantArt page
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2009, 11:58:59 pm »
Despite how horrible they'd probably be, I actually want to play Chronomon (pokemon like, not digimon) and Chronogatchi. They'd be better if you played with the actual monsters instead of characters though.
Remember those pocket Pikachu toys? You had to feed it every now and then, and shake it ALL the time to 'charge' your Pikachu. Imagine one of those instead of Chronogatchi. I bet Janus/Crono/whoever would get really tired of being shaken around all the time though..

FouCapitan

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2009, 04:45:22 am »
The play-as-Dalton game actually sounds kinda fun.

Shortly after I posted up the poll I thought so too.  Playing Dalton in a rediculous God of War-style platformer.

Shee

• Temporal Warrior (+900)
  • Sheeeeeeit
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2009, 06:13:45 pm »
I voted Chronomon.  There are some hilarious ideas floatin through here.  I think that the Dalton idea is awesome sounding, to be honest.

Chocobo_Fan

• Squaretable Knight (+400)
  • Is there no salvation in all the world?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2009, 07:56:15 am »
I voted Other: All of the Above. o_O

And as much as I like Pokemon, I still think the Chronomon thing would be terrible.

Actually, ALL OF THEM WOULD BE TERRIBLE. o_O I just couldn't choose, so I voted "all of the above"...

FouCapitan

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2009, 10:08:03 pm »
Surprised nobody's voted the idea of yet another Chrono Trigger re-release/port.  Sadly this is probably the most likely to happen before we get another poper sequel.

ONSLAUGHT

• Springtime of Youth
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2009, 06:53:06 pm »
Personally, I wouldn't see it as that bad. I found this particular re-release to be a rather enjoyable one...
of course when it comes to Chrono I'm easy to please. As I constantly reference, they could all be panda bears and I'd love it.

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2009, 11:48:11 pm »
Personally, I wouldn't see it as that bad. I found this particular re-release to be a rather enjoyable one...
of course when it comes to Chrono I'm easy to please. As I constantly reference, they could all be panda bears and I'd love it.

i'm not implying anything, but it would be hilarious if onslaught was actually a troll from squenix trying to test out the "everybody's a panda" idea on us like a test audience. for that matter, it'd be hilarious if foucaptain or i were from squenix, but alas, that's not the case.

more on topic, i'd love another rerelease of ct. like in fifteen years, when i have kids and they are of video game playing age, it should come out again, "new". then i can say, "fifteen years ago, i remember the second time that game came out. it was awesome."

ONSLAUGHT

• Springtime of Youth
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2009, 01:48:30 pm »
HA-HA. YES-OF-COURSE-THAT-WOULD-BE-HILARIOUS-LOL.
NOT-A-PROGRAM.
NOT-A-PROGRAM.
NOT-A-PROGRAM.
NOT-A-PROGRAM.
NOT-A-PROGRAM.

Coming soon...
Chrono Cuddly! Play through an all new adventure of Chrono with a brand new plot, the same cast as the original game, but now an evil being has changed them all... INTO PANDAS! Cute, fuzzy wuzzy pandas! Crono and his katana claws! Frog with the Masabamboo! Ayla with a body slam! Marle with the Crossboo! Lucca is still smart and is a koala instead! Robo has fake paws that are actually laser beams! And Magus is Black Bear but still has his awesome long flowing bluish hair! Coming out for the Nintendo Wii, Xbox 360, and the Playstation 3 September 18 2010. Hits Europe two weeks later and US shores recieve this a month later than the Japanese release date.
Now I'm determined to make art of this.