Author Topic: Lavos - The Humanoid Alien  (Read 6120 times)

Philosopher1701

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
Lavos - The Humanoid Alien
« on: March 22, 2009, 03:43:20 am »
It seems that the central core of Lavos is a humanoid being.

What does this mean? And is it possible that the shell is just a "spaceship", and that the actual Lavos is the alien inside the "ship"?
« Last Edit: March 22, 2009, 03:47:07 am by Philosopher1701 »

ryu planeswalker

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
Re: Lavos - The Humanoid Alien
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2009, 05:03:20 am »
Was the Humanoid the real core in story terms or was that just a combat mechanic?

FouCapitan

• Black Wind Agent (+600)
  • Whatever it is, I'm against it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2009, 05:46:51 am »
Never really find out the purpose of the being within Lavos' shell, just that it was created from a culmination of all genetic data from the planet.

I think to fully understand it's purpose, we'd have to know just where the Lavos creature originated from.  (Don't just say "space")  From what we know they land on planets, cultivate genetic data into their being, create spawn asexually (presumably clones of the genetically evolved mother) who travel to other planets (somehow) to repeat the process.

Presumably the Lavos on earth came from a similar situation, a planet that likey died eons ago from its own Lavos parasite, but where did that come from?  Where was the first parasite in this chain of planet devouring ever evolving creatures originate?  How and why was it created?  Was it a naturally evolving creature that became able to enhance its own features, spreading to different planets until they became the destructive parasites we know?  Or was it some mad alien scientist who dreamed of creating the perfect being ala Cell?

Definitely a lot to ponder and speculate on.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2009, 05:48:56 am by FouCapitan »

skylark

• Poet of El Nido
  • Black Wind Agent (+600)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2009, 01:31:01 pm »
This is actually one of the major issues in my fic.

I personally believe in the bioweapon theory, but I'm gonna throw a (hopefully) good twist to it. :)

Anyway, on topic...

If you ask me, I think the 'humanoid' is really more of a last resort Guardian System (and that the right bit acts as the 'soul container' of the creature).

Just my two cents.

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2009, 11:56:00 am »
It seems that the central core of Lavos is a humanoid being.

What does this mean? And is it possible that the shell is just a "spaceship", and that the actual Lavos is the alien inside the "ship"?

Just because the central core of Lavos is a humanoid being, that does not necessitate that the rest of it is any less Lavos. A lot of people see the brain as the seat of human intelligence. That is where we "reside." But just because the brain is our "core" doesn't mean that our heart or hands are no longer part of us.

chrono eric

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2009, 04:03:24 pm »
I would argue that the humanoid part may not even be the true "central core". You can kill the humanoid part without killing the Lavos bits and the bits will just resurrect him, after all. In fact, I may be mistaken, but isn't it actually the left bit that you have to kill in order to kill the right one and the humanoid Lavos? I think you are putting a lot of emphasis on the humanoid form, when the form no doubt is meant to represent that Lavos has acquired the genetic information of the creatures living on the planet. But as for it being the true core of Lavos, I don't think the evidence from the game supports that.

Xenterex

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2009, 02:07:07 pm »
Well, the form of lavos inside the shell also had a humanoid body.  Head, torso, two arms and a few fingers.  Plus it had the tubes connected to it which I would assume is the way it would process DNA. 

However, the Lavos spawn also have the same shell structure too.  I do think Thought's post makes a valid point though.  Perhaps one of the evolutionary advantages Lavos has is the ability to be broken down and still continue to function to a certain degree.

Magus_Brokenhart

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2009, 01:19:23 am »
Or perhaps the right bit as the true Lavos, and he used the left bit and the humanoid form as decoys?

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Forever loyal to the Acacia Dragoons
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2009, 01:32:51 am »
I also think the 'right bit' could the real Lavos. After all, it can bring the other two back and has that barrier it decides to shut down every now and then. Though I don't get why would it do that.

Except that after defeating the second form, it's the humanoid one who appears, and then 'takes out' the bits.

But if so, for what would the decoy bring the real one to the battlefield? Unless, the real one and the bit switched places and shape accordingly, in order to fool the heroes.

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2009, 10:18:56 am »
To note, when Lavos merges with Schala, it is the outer shell that seems to merge, potentially indicating that the shell is the true lavos.

Hence, again, we might be attempting to draw distinctions when there are none.

Dark Serge

• Time Traveler (+800)
  • Now, let love bleed...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2009, 11:21:43 am »
Actually, if you look closely you can see the shell is opened up at the spot where Schala is in the bubble, meaning that she's probably merging with the inner part rather then the shell.

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2009, 12:32:12 pm »
Actually, if you look closely you can see the shell is opened up at the spot where Schala is in the bubble, meaning that she's probably merging with the inner part rather then the shell.

Actually, it looks like the shell is just nestling her among its spines to me, with pipes (sort of like with the 2nd CT Lavos form) attaching to the bubble from the shell itself. I certainly don't see an actual gap in the Dream Devourer's shell either.

Not that the shell is the real Lavos. Just that Lavos is the real Lavos, and everything else is unimportant.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2009, 12:33:45 pm by Thought »

ryu planeswalker

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2009, 01:57:00 am »
We could be thinking this through too much, Lavos is lavos, the shell is just the skin, form 2 is a ribcage and the last form is it's heart

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2009, 11:02:54 am »
I always figured we could zoom out really far and lavos would be the sperm and the planet would be the egg and everything on the planet is the egg's genetic material.

As far as which one is the true lavos, when you get a shot, you have to break the skin to get to the vein. It's not that the skin is you or that the vein is you, it's just that without getting through the skin, and into the blood, the shot is useless. It's the only effective way to get the treatment to work.  So the shell is lavos's skin. The second form is the vein, and the final form is the blood. Crono & co are the shot.

leena_zeal

• Porrean (+50)
  • beauty lies in the eyes
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2009, 06:52:57 pm »
I thought Lavos was the bug and Crono & co were the antibodies... but whatever... The Epoch would be the needle  :D

...the shell is just the skin, form 2 is a ribcage and the last form is it's heart

Makes sense to me
« Last Edit: April 23, 2009, 06:55:09 pm by leena_zeal »