Author Topic: Dream Devourer ending links Magus to Guile?  (Read 17644 times)

chrono eric

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
    • View Profile
Re: Dream Devourer ending links Magus to Guile?
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2009, 02:11:41 pm »
I picked up Guile in my game of Chrono Cross and renamed him Magus just for the hell of it. =D

I think Faust (might be wrong about that) has a video on youtube of a hacked Cross with Guile renamed as Magus, carrying Lynx's scythe, and more Magus-looking. It's badass to say the least.

Ah here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TG0r25AhkU

Nice.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2009, 02:14:20 pm by chrono eric »

Zephira

• Bounty Hunter
  • Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • You're not afraid of the dark, are you?...Are you?
    • View Profile
    • My deviantArt page
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2009, 02:33:05 pm »
There's a whole hack for it too. Just click on Magus Unmasked in the New Dreams section on the left of the screen. He gets pointy ears, different colours, scythe instead of rod, techs renamed, and Dark Matter.

The Dream Devourer ending could be a possible setup for Magus -> Guile, but there's only one problem with that. Guile's kinda fruity. He's a great mage and all, but I'd be sad to see Magus start wearing bright colours like that. Just doesn't fit him.

Chrono'99

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2009, 02:49:19 pm »
There's a whole hack for it too. Just click on Magus Unmasked in the New Dreams section on the left of the screen. He gets pointy ears, different colours, scythe instead of rod, techs renamed, and Dark Matter.

The Dream Devourer ending could be a possible setup for Magus -> Guile, but there's only one problem with that. Guile's kinda fruity. He's a great mage and all, but I'd be sad to see Magus start wearing bright colours like that. Just doesn't fit him.

Guile originally had darker colors, as Masato Kato said in the famous interview. They made his clothes brighter when they decided to make him not Magus. Now, the CTDS ending implies that Guile really is Magus after all (a possible retcon), and if the colors don't fit him it's because he lost his memories. Basically, it's now implied that Guile is physically Magus, but he still has his own distinct personality either way.

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2009, 03:48:35 pm »
You see, I am extremely stubborn and I refuse to accept that fact that Magus could be Guile.

No way, jose.  Even though deep down inside, I know that that is probably the case, I still prefer to think that the ending is setting us up for the further adventures of Magus and friends!

Stubborn.

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2009, 03:59:23 pm »
Argh, I need to restore the Dead Can Dance song used in the Time Devourer battle in that video. It was so surreal and perfect, and I always got this chill when the Kajar Labs logo appeared at a certain point of the song.

BROJ did the artwork alteration with some touchups by Satoh for that hack, BTW. Isn't it delicious?

chrono eric

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2009, 10:25:01 pm »
I didn't know that. BROJ did a pretty champion job then if you ask me.

mav

• Magical Dreamer (+1250)
  • Gentleman Waiting in the Train Station at Twilight
    • View Profile
    • The RPG Realm
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2009, 11:22:17 pm »
That whole project is so nifty--very well done; Magus in CT is quite cool.

But back to the topic at hand. Nothing is explicitly stated, as far as Magus being Guile goes. He has no memory and he wants to fulfill a mission, I believe that's all we know. Could he be Guile? Certainly. Is he? Without definitive proof, how can we know? People think Magus is a whole load of people at this point: Guile, Serge, Wazuki, and any other random character. Sure I'd like for Guile to be Magus, but at this point I'm with Boo on this one: I too prefer to think we're being set up for some kind of weird Magus adventure, full of retcons and seemingly implausible material!

chrono eric

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2009, 11:25:10 pm »
Yeah but come on, it definitely seems to be heavily implied by the ending.

And as for Magus = Serge or whatever, that is like saying Magus = Razzly.

Zephira

• Bounty Hunter
  • Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • You're not afraid of the dark, are you?...Are you?
    • View Profile
    • My deviantArt page
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2009, 11:29:55 pm »
That would be really fun, actually. Tiny Magus with wings that could fit in your pocket... of course he'd be angry all the time. Don't think he would like being tiny and cute and girly.

What do we know about Guile so far? He's in the Magician's Guild, he wears a mask, has green eyes, blue hair, kinda tan, shadow/black affinity, very skilled in magic, can float.. Anything about his past life or backstory?

mav

• View Profile
    • The RPG Realm
« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2009, 11:43:53 pm »
Yeah but come on, it definitely seems to be heavily implied by the ending.

And as for Magus = Serge or whatever, that is like saying Magus = Razzly.
Like I said, I'd like for Magus to be Guile, but I don't think we should run so far when all we have is implicit information. I mean, Guile is the most plausible and sensible choice: appearance wise, innate color wise, etc, but we have nothing explicit. Magus being Guile is the most plausible theory so far, but I'm not gonna say I completely believe it unless something definitive is handed to me.
What do we know about Guile so far? He's in the Magician's Guild, he wears a mask, has green eyes, blue hair, kinda tan, shadow/black affinity, very skilled in magic, can float.. Anything about his past life or backstory?
He's a 26 year-old adventure-seeker from the Zenan Mainland, whose Home World counterpart isn't mentioned in the slightest. What else...he's the rising star of that Guild...other than that, we don't know too much.

leena_zeal

• Porrean (+50)
  • beauty lies in the eyes
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2009, 11:48:27 pm »

I have to agree with the "fruity" thing. I mean, this guy just doesn't feel like Magus did in CT. And the whole amnesia thing and him being somehow dragged into the whole CC thing seems too farfetched.

Magus was no sissy. How he could have turned into this amnesiac white-gowned magician is beyond me. It just doesn't feel right for such an important character, from a game as complex as CT, to be tossed into the CC world that lightly.

mav

• View Profile
    • The RPG Realm
« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2009, 11:54:31 pm »
Well Guile wasn't intended to be Magus--he was supposed to be his own character, which is why I'm gonna go ahead and assume that if we see this story evolve, it's gonna retcon some of Cross, notably some of Guile's characteristics. But at the same time, we need to examine what turned Janus into Magus before we assume Magus can't be Guile. Janus pushed himself to some great lengths, and that's why we see Magus the way we do--he's the byproduct of this vengeful little child. But if he's lost all his memories (and by extension, all his torment) who's to say Janus wouldn't grow to be more like Guile?

leena_zeal

• Porrean (+50)
  • beauty lies in the eyes
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2009, 12:06:52 am »
Janus minus all the torment?? Hmm, maybe.
Then again, I find Janus=Guile as plausible as any other zealan sorcerer being dragged into that time and turning into him.
Maybe Guile is in fact nameless extra #3 from Kajar, striving to survive in that strange, new world?
Dunno... i just can't picture Magus and Guile being the same person.

chrono eric

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2009, 01:33:54 am »
Like I said, I'd like for Magus to be Guile, but I don't think we should run so far when all we have is implicit information. I mean, Guile is the most plausible and sensible choice: appearance wise, innate color wise, etc, but we have nothing explicit. Magus being Guile is the most plausible theory so far, but I'm not gonna say I completely believe it unless something definitive is handed to me.

Ah I misunderstood you, apologies. I too think there isn't enough evidence for a definitive conclusion. But I'd put my money on it, you bet. I think it is an extremely likely scenario in a remake of Cross.

Which actually irritates me to tell you the truth, because I would rather see a new Chrono game than a Cross remake. But at the same time, a Cross remake may re-ignite the series...

Chrono'99

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2009, 07:10:19 am »
Kid is nothing like Schala either, but she is her...in a way. Guile might just be Magus...in a different way.