Poll

just for fun, what would be the lamest canon to change in chrono break/brake?

lynx is crono's father too
the entitiy is motherbrain/FATE
gato is from 2300ad
nu is a truncated mistranslation. it was supposed to be "nude blueberry monster"
none of it happened. doreen dreamed EVERYTHING.
other (detail with comment)

Author Topic: what would be the lamest retcon ever?  (Read 7932 times)

FouCapitan

• Black Wind Agent (+600)
  • Whatever it is, I'm against it.
    • View Profile
Re: what would be the lamest retcon ever?
« Reply #30 on: March 26, 2009, 10:12:22 pm »
Mario getting mad would also suffice as an ending to the majority of the series. Instead of a simple kiss or anything "You risked your life for me! I'm gonna bake you a cake!"

She did kiss his nose in that ending too.  Also  I think you're severely underestimating the driving force that a promise of cake at the end provides.

the cake is a lie!
the cake is a lie!
the cake is a lie!
the cake is a lie!
the cake is a lie!
the cake is a lie!

Back on topic, the idea that everything was a dream is pretty bad, so is the Blueberry monster one though...

Imagine if SE actually did that.  Revealing in the next game that the time travelling, dimensional splits, everything was just the Entity's dream...
« Last Edit: March 26, 2009, 10:14:12 pm by FouCapitan »

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Forever loyal to the Acacia Dragoons
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 26, 2009, 10:17:54 pm »
Well, I think that the dream one is the worst. To know that everything that happened actually didn't in reality. That's very lame.

ONSLAUGHT

• Springtime of Youth
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Crono + Panda = WTF Run!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 28, 2009, 06:57:03 pm »
I got something.
Wake up, it was all a dream!

Good game spin off: Crono knows of all that's t happen and tries to prevent in a different manner than he did before, take new routes through the quest or just a new quest altogether!

Bad end with no spin off possibility: Doreen wakes up having dreamt that Crono dreamt that.

Worse ending: Entity wakes up having dreamt that Doreen dreamt that Crono dreamt all that was happening.

Even worse ending: Lavos wakes up having dreamt that the Entity dreamt that Doreen dreamt that Crono dreamt that all that was happening.

I could go on. :twisted:

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 28, 2009, 11:43:13 pm »
yeah, the it was all a dream ending is my least favorite in ANY media, be it books, movies, video games, or even little stuff like commercials or short stories. there was one futurama episode i think did it really well called "the sting" but it is VERY difficult to do it right.

but imagine. you get through the initiation of chrono break, the first "travel" method, the varied characters and enemies, the big dungeons, the bosses and megabosses, and finally, you fight megalavos or whatever and beat him. ony to get:

Chrono. Chrono. Wake up, Chrono!

Were you dreaming your name didn't have an H in it AGAIN?! At least twice a week with this kid! I don't get it. Get out of bed, damnit.

skylark

• Poet of El Nido
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 28, 2009, 11:45:34 pm »
I got something.
Wake up, it was all a dream!

Good game spin off: Crono knows of all that's t happen and tries to prevent in a different manner than he did before, take new routes through the quest or just a new quest altogether!

Bad end with no spin off possibility: Doreen wakes up having dreamt that Crono dreamt that.

Worse ending: Entity wakes up having dreamt that Doreen dreamt that Crono dreamt all that was happening.

Even worse ending: Lavos wakes up having dreamt that the Entity dreamt that Doreen dreamt that Crono dreamt that all that was happening.

I could go on. :twisted:

Even worse than that: Schala wakes up having dreamt all of the above, then goes back to sleep waiting for one of the Blackbird's engines to crash through the roof on top of her.

Cookie for the reference. :P

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 28, 2009, 11:49:30 pm »
this is some good shit.

it's a fucking cigarette.

chut up.

every living thing in this world dies alone.

i like your boobs.

donnie didn't dream it all though, he went back in time to prevent himself from living and to save everyone's lives from being ruined, especially his galpal. it's more like chrono cross, in that the plot erases itself at the end.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2009, 11:52:36 pm by addiesin »

ONSLAUGHT

• Springtime of Youth
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 29, 2009, 01:39:20 pm »
I remember that Futurama episode you mentioned earlier. THAT is a good reference to the whole "It was all just a dream" thing. Seth McFarlane would agree with you that that ending is cruel considering the Stewie kills Lois saga.
A giant middle finger to anyone who saw it.

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 30, 2009, 08:46:58 am »
The lamest retcon would be if Guile turned out to be post-CT:DS Magus.

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 30, 2009, 02:42:00 pm »

I like that one though.  :(

ONSLAUGHT

• Springtime of Youth
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 01, 2009, 08:22:40 pm »
Don't know about the worst, but yeah, that would suck a lot.

utunnels

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 01, 2009, 10:04:52 pm »
Don't know about the worst, but yeah, that would suck a lot.
It sucks because many think like that.
They should develop a story that none of us can guess.
 :|

Chrono'99

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 02, 2009, 05:04:43 am »
Guile being Magus is not a bad thing IMO. People are just pissed off that their favorite character Magus is a human with weaknesses and flaws like every other Chrono character, instead of being an invincible, god-like being who's only there to utter badass lines and be almighty. Schala suffers from the same kind of "misconception" in the fandom. In the end, they're both just humans.

Jutty

• The Most In-Frequent Poster Ever
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 02, 2009, 09:59:25 am »
Guile being Magus is not a bad thing IMO. People are just pissed off that their favorite character Magus is a human with weaknesses and flaws like every other Chrono character, instead of being an invincible, god-like being who's only there to utter badass lines and be almighty. Schala suffers from the same kind of "misconception" in the fandom. In the end, they're both just humans.

Lies. The only reason he was defeated by Crono and company is because of the Gate that opened. I see no evidence supporting these claims of him being mortal.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2009, 10:01:27 am by Jutty »

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 02, 2009, 12:49:38 pm »

Lies. The only reason he was defeated by Crono and company is because of the Gate that opened. I see no evidence supporting these claims of him being mortal.
Quote from: Magus
   If history is to change, let it change! If
   the world is to be destroyed, so be it!

If my fate is to be a destroyed...
   I must simply laugh!!

I'm coming, Lavos!

Mortal. He doesn't know his own fate. He may even laugh if he is killed.

ONSLAUGHT

• Springtime of Youth
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 02, 2009, 05:51:59 pm »

Gotta agree. Is Mortal, just like addiesin showed.
Although human might not be true... he DOES change drastically from hanging with the mystics(how does his skin go from peach to white?! And his ears go from normal to pointy hyrulian style! What the heck?!!!!)