Poll

just for fun, what would be the lamest canon to change in chrono break/brake?

lynx is crono's father too
the entitiy is motherbrain/FATE
gato is from 2300ad
nu is a truncated mistranslation. it was supposed to be "nude blueberry monster"
none of it happened. doreen dreamed EVERYTHING.
other (detail with comment)

Author Topic: what would be the lamest retcon ever?  (Read 7925 times)

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
what would be the lamest retcon ever?
« on: March 19, 2009, 12:24:27 am »
what do you think would be lame? eh?
« Last Edit: March 19, 2009, 12:30:11 am by FaustWolf »

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
Re: what would be the lamest retcon ever?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2009, 12:28:06 am »
This should be moved to the Polling board.

Meanwhile...I think the lamest retcon is the one they actually pulled with Chrono Cross: Lavos isn't dead; in fact it's back and more evil than ever.

I'm also very wary of any retcons that suggest the Kingdom of Zeal had its hand in world affairs outside its own era more than is already understood to be the case from the original canon.

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2009, 12:30:09 am »
i didn't even mean to post the poll there. my bad. i just clicked add new poll.

edit: thanks faustwolf!
« Last Edit: March 19, 2009, 12:32:30 am by addiesin »

teaflower

• Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • Dreams are the gateway to reality.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2009, 11:47:42 am »
Personally, I'm not a fan of the plot where all sorts of awesome shit happens, then some unrelated or minor character wakes up and figures out it was nothing more than a dream. I try and avoid that as best I can.

What would be even worse is if Doreen woke up, figured out it was a dream, then wrote a shitty novel about it, selling millions of copies and eventually being made into a shittier movie than the novel series.

Chrono'99

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2009, 12:08:09 pm »
The lamest retcon would be making Schala an almighty, goddess-like being that possesses unlimited magic and surreal abilities. Despite what many fans like to think, she's not that powerful.

Zephira

• Bounty Hunter
  • Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • You're not afraid of the dark, are you?...Are you?
    • View Profile
    • My deviantArt page
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2009, 02:15:39 pm »
I'd have to agree with Chrono'99 up there.
There is a quote somewhere in Zeal that said Janus was more powerful than Schala, and he never turned into a goddess/god-like being. Schala could probably make it close to Magus' in-game level, but she isn't the Entity or anything like that.

utunnels

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2009, 10:36:31 pm »
Quote from: Encyclopedia
Turnip's nature and words bring to mind two philosophies on life. That he dreams of the soldier and the soldier dreams of him is a take on Zhuangzi's famous chapter in his book that described an experience in which he dreamt of being a butterfly and afterwards wondered if his life were simply the butterfly dreaming of him. Doreen makes a similar analogy in Chrono Trigger. Secondly, Turnip evokes the famous statement of Rene Descartes by noting that as long as he thinks, he exists. Descartes similarly used the phrase Cogito ergo sum in his work, though he was not the first to identify the phrase in the history of philosophy.

Never thought the dream idea is funny, but it is definitely a lazy idea if the series end like this...

Shee

• Temporal Warrior (+900)
  • Sheeeeeeit
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2009, 07:08:30 am »
Blueberries are not nearly as awesome as a Nu.  In fact, I would go as far as to say that blueberries are lame.  Therefore...combining them with Nu is turrrrible!

placidchap

• Temporal Warrior (+900)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2009, 09:03:06 am »
I used to think the whole "wake up from a dream" thing was a lame until I thought about it and realized that time does not flow "normally" in your head while you dream, allowing you to possibly live an entire lifetime within a fraction of "real world" time...

Anyways...I voted other:  That TTI and TB really exist.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2009, 10:20:10 am »
You know what this means, of course. It means that you're nothing but an undigested bit of beef, a blot of mustard, a crumb of cheese, a fragment of an underdone potato!

But it gets even worse! I haven't eaten any of those things lately...which means you don't even exist at all! Sucker.

FouCapitan

• Black Wind Agent (+600)
  • Whatever it is, I'm against it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2009, 01:58:35 pm »
I voted for the Nude Blueberry Monster.  While I don't share Shee's disgust with blueberries in particular, I can't fathom the idea of having Nu in my yogurt.   :x

ONSLAUGHT

• Springtime of Youth
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Crono + Panda = WTF Run!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2009, 07:02:28 pm »
OMGH! lolz! Crono and ghang getz kidnapper$!!!!1!! MARLE T0 TEH RWESCUUUUUU!

Seriously. It's been done before, like with Mario Bros and Zelda. If Peach gets kidnapped so many damn times, and finally Mario AND Luigi are captured along with all the Toads, how the hell could Peach save them?

Marle, while she's good, she would be nowhere near good enough for the whole "Crono & co. were kidnapped and she has to save them" act. Crono is the only character amogst any of them who has the capability to do such a thing by himself. Any of the others would be a no and Marle being best as a healer would make it worse. Not to mention who could actually kidnap them all AND has the mindset that they want to do that?! It's more of a kiddie idea and knowing Chrono as a series, it's more likely they'd be killed. So to have them be simply kidnapped by let's say Lavos who wouldn't even think of such a thing let along be able to move and do so and has no minions to do it for it, wow...

If they ever did such a thing - I don't know. I really don't know. If they made the whole cast Pandas I could handle a game as bad as that but if they ever went with this as an actual idea, that might seriously test how truly strong a Chrono fan I am. I probably would still be a fan but I'd be highly disappointed.

THAT is the worst retcon.
No wait, same thing, BUT WITH LEENA TOO! No other CC characters, just Leena!

Delta Dragon

• Creative Emeritus
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2009, 10:00:26 pm »
I can't decide.  If there was an all of the above that would be my answer.

Romana

• Springtime of Youth
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Fight the Future
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2009, 12:30:59 pm »
Uh... all of them.

Gina's probably Azala or Queen Zeal through some odd time travel shenanigans, and I'd say Gato is surely FATE doomed to a life of endlessly repeating a funky theme song and punching people out with a boxing glove.

You know what this means, of course. It means that you're nothing but an undigested bit of beef, a blot of mustard, a crumb of cheese, a fragment of an underdone potato!

But it gets even worse! I haven't eaten any of those things lately...which means you don't even exist at all! Sucker.

Well at least we ain't tomatoes.

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2009, 04:17:53 pm »
Lames Retcon: Lavos wasn't really trying to destroy the world, he was just a misunderstood cute, fluffy, and adorable creature. Crono and Co didn't defeat him, they explained to him the wonders of friendship, sunshine, and picnics in the park. And there was no time travel, it was all a make-believe adventure Crono had one day.