Author Topic: Singing Mountain  (Read 2376 times)

Chromaticed

• Earthbound (+15)
  • Hee hee!
    • View Profile
Singing Mountain
« on: January 02, 2009, 02:12:21 am »
We probably all know about the Singing Mountain and the song of the same name. The question is what do you think happened in it?

According to Mitsuda
...the dungeon didn't contain much and there were no problems or anything that advanced the game, it was cut.

I think it was one of those optional levels you can do before Lavos, there were some generic dinosaurs as monsters and some Nizbel looking creature as a boss, and the reward would be some powerful equipment.

Then again I could be totally of.
What do you think?

utunnels

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
Re: Singing Mountain
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2009, 02:23:50 am »
I've completely no idea...
It could be in any era, any place. Perhaps in 12000 B.C., since there are few accessable dugeons on the world map.

mav

• Magical Dreamer (+1250)
  • Gentleman Waiting in the Train Station at Twilight
    • View Profile
    • The RPG Realm
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2009, 12:07:15 pm »
I'm pretty sure it'd be in 65000000 B.C., along with the other handful of caves you had to trek through down there, even if it would have been neater to see another 12000 B.C. dungeon. But as far as the purpose of it goes, I honestly have no idea. I doubt it was anything useful...It could be related to some kind of spiritual side-quest, since Singing Mountain does give off that feel of divinity. The villagers may have prayed there or something.

If you look on the encyclopedia entry for Singing Mountain, you'll see lava on the inside...so maybe it didn't house any humans. Perhaps it housed Reptites or other creatures...

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2009, 02:47:43 pm »
I think that some people believe it to have been Ayla's sidequest...The song is used in one of the new CTDS dungeons though, isn't it...?

Chromaticed

• Earthbound (+15)
  • Hee hee!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2009, 03:08:08 pm »
Yes it was, I think in one of those dimensional vortex things.

Magus22

• Bounty Hunter
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Jean-Luc Picard says "It's time for Chrono Break".
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2009, 11:05:51 pm »
The song was between "Battle With Magus" and "Tyran Castle"...

Even though that may point to nothing, I can think of 2 possible scenarios:

A. I agree with a side quest for Ayla. Maybe we got to know more about the dream Ayla had about Kino mysteriously appearing atop Mystic Mountain. Maybe the gameplay was controlling Ayla and Ayla alone traveling to Mystic Mountain. She finds Kino, says some primative mumbo jumbo and you return to Chief's Hut with your party...

B. As much as I would love it, I would say the player controls Magus as he climbs a (snowy?) mountain after being sent to 12,000 B.C. He finds himself on the Earthbound Island or atop Zeal kingdom. The gameplay ends and returns to Crono and company as Magus overlooks either a skyway or Zeal Palace.

Zergplex

• Springtime of Youth
  • Guardian (+100)
  • Not all those who wander are lost
    • View Profile
    • Zergplex ~ Not all those who wander are lost
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2009, 12:13:16 am »
I believe, as others have mentioned, that the Singing Mountain was going to be Ayla's sidequest. It quite possibly had something to do with Kino, but as they said it didn't forward the story at all it was probably nothing important (such as Kino gets kidnapped, rescue him).

I believe the Chrono Trigger: Crimson Echoes mod has a fully running Singing Mountain available to play in it's demo if you want to see what the mountain looks like ingame.

Foxx

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2009, 12:33:54 am »
IMHO either A sidequest or an extra boss or something inbetween...

could be a sidequest for Ayla but with something inside to amke the player able to test Ayla and her fighting style.... yanno to get used to her before going on with the story... it could have had a decent amount of loot in there too

utunnels

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2009, 02:14:55 am »
Considering the wind noise effect, doesn't it sound like a snowy moutain peak?

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2009, 03:20:46 pm »
I've generally felt that in all likelihood, that was where the party popped out after the battle with Magus. They then had to fight their way out.

The whole "gee, they just happened to appeare at Mystic Mts for no good reason and Ayla just HAPPENED to find them" always reaked of abridgement to me.

maggiekarp

• Crimson Echoes Beta Squad
  • Time Traveler (+800)
  • ʇ ı  ʇ n o q ɐ  p ɹ ı ǝ ʍ ˙ ˙ ˙ ƃ u ı ɥ ʇ ǝ ɯ o s
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2009, 11:40:53 pm »
It felt kind of obvious to me that it was an area in Prehistoric times you get warped to after fighting Magus, especially since the weird wind-blowing sound is used for Crono's dream and the area was programmed in that time. Perhaps they'd have made it the same place Ayla found Kino as an infant so that little bit of exposition would be more blatant (yes, Ayla raised Kino, it's just dialog that's out of the way to get).

Although the idea of it being used for Magus wandering around 12,000 BC is awesome, it would really spoil a lot too early...

Ethasus

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2009, 12:57:49 pm »
I'm pretty sure that Singing Mountain is in 65,000,000 BC because there is a Location map in the prerelease and its a cave setting with lava and lava in any other era doesn't really make much sense.

on another note i agree with what other people have said about it being a side quest because the map is quite extensive.