Author Topic: Chrono Crisis (Sort of) Becomes Chrono Ark  (Read 13675 times)

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
Re: Chrono Crisis (Sort of) Becomes Chrono Ark
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2009, 06:33:52 pm »
Someone named HolyPalatin is upset about the situation not being updated here.

Basically, Chains of Fate worked hard (not lazy), but wasn't able to keep in contact, and the email was written in the heat of the moment.

That's not the story I got long before this happened.

ZealKnight

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Loyal Knight of the Kingdom of Zeal
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2009, 07:23:15 pm »
Are we gossiping? ooo give the dish.... I wasn't important enough to get the e-mail.

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2009, 07:48:07 pm »
Everyone can see the email publicly on the Chrono Crisis Forums, under "General Discussion" if I remember correctly.

I can't comment on what did or didn't happen throughout Crisis' development cycle up to this point, but from what I can tell right now it seems that the Chrono Ark team has been extremely generous with resources, contacts, etc., that will help Chains. Doesn't mean Crisis will get finished any time soon, but it may result in a weird situation in which both Ark and Crisis have wildly different storylines but use a lot of the same resources. It seems there is no ill will between Chains and the rest of the Crisis team, it's just that Chains is restricted to a schedule fraught with starts and stops, whereas the other members felt held back by that and thus needed to split off and follow a much different project development style. This is my current understanding based on publicly known info.

I'm curious at this point as to whether Ark and Crisis will have some kind of sequel/prequel connection to one another. That possibility occurred to me when I read the plot synopsis of Chrono Ark, which seems to describe Chrono Trigger, Chrono Cross, something that's "5 minutes to midnight," and something else that's "1 minute to midnight." Maybe I'm just imagining this?
« Last Edit: March 14, 2009, 07:51:27 pm by FaustWolf »

HolyPaladin1237

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2009, 11:32:49 pm »
Someone named HolyPalatin is upset about the situation not being updated here.

Basically, Chains of Fate worked hard (not lazy), but wasn't able to keep in contact, and the email was written in the heat of the moment.

That's not the story I got long before this happened.

Oh, is someone referring to me? :o

To clarify, I wasn't upset about the lack of updates over here, rather I was just doing my part as a fellow Chrono Community member to keep this unfortunate turn of events from being blown out of proportion.

ZeaLitY, I think it might be best for you to get in contact with Chains and his old crew as to prevent this situation from getting out of hand.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2009, 11:35:59 pm by HolyPaladin1237 »

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2009, 11:34:32 pm »
I reported on it exactly as it happened. Chrono Crisis team members told me a month ago exactly what Ghost wrote in his mass e-mail; Chains was stifling progress, and the developers were sick of it. They felt he was killing the project and driving the team frustratedly away. The tenor of the story has changed only because they've struck some kind of agreement with Chains, and now want to retract their criticisms to be amicable.

If they wanted me to be party to that and pretend everything was happiness and sunshine, they should have told me.

Lena Andreia

• Porrean (+50)
  • Radical Dreamer
    • View Profile
    • Chrono Ark Forums
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2009, 01:06:04 am »
 Well, however it's gone down, it's over now. What we have are two separate projects. The Ark team's been communicating great, and all of that past frustration is totally out the window now.

I do wish I'd let more people know that it we were going to have the sit down with Chains, but I guess it all happened sort of fast. We decided to do it late Thursday night, and Ghost and I jumped into it pretty quickly. When Chains got mad at us, we were afraid we'd both be banned from the Crisis forums, and thus came the idea for the mass email. So Ghost sent it while he had the chance to, but the banning never came, and we were able to come to a mutual agreement. We were frustrated with him, yes, but we're past it now. We talked it out, figured out our differences, and walked away. We are letting him use everything we made for him as team members, since that's fair.

Really though, I'd like to just get past this unpleasantness and get down to making games, because that's what this whole thing was about in the first place.

Anyway, Chrono Ark has updated tonight (a new demo video). The demo has some of the old stuff that was shown (Item menu, tech menu, ect), but it shows a bit better how these things are implemented. It also has a VERY early demo of the battle system, with the ATB working. The battle's are definitely not pretty yet, but don't worry--that'll come with time. Oh, and there's a status menu in there too. Like I said, it's still pretty rough, but we're getting there on the basics.

Also note: We haven't had time to alter the graphics to reflect the character and name changes, so you're going to see some familiar faces from Crisis. This should be changed in the next video.

This demo brought to you by Ghost:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3YuYBdUq5s

And here's a download link to get a higher quality version... We really need to get some server space to upload this stuff.

http://rapidshare.com/files/209374763/ArkDemo001.wmv

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2009, 02:19:32 am »
I continue to wish you all well. Hopefully you and your team can turn this upheaval to your advantage and get some good work done.

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2009, 03:53:55 am »
now they can actually make the game. instead of talking about making the game. we hope.

Ramsus

• Entity
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2009, 05:08:39 am »
What a sensationalist story. Kind of reminds me of when XFree86 was forked into X.org due to licensing and management issues.

Chrono'99

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2009, 09:23:45 am »
I'm curious at this point as to whether Ark and Crisis will have some kind of sequel/prequel connection to one another. That possibility occurred to me when I read the plot synopsis of Chrono Ark, which seems to describe Chrono Trigger, Chrono Cross, something that's "5 minutes to midnight," and something else that's "1 minute to midnight." Maybe I'm just imagining this?

That synopsis was written for Chrono Crisis well before Chrono Ark came into being. From what I can tell, it seems like Ark will be to Crisis what CC is to RD.

Lena Andreia

• Porrean (+50)
  • Radical Dreamer
    • View Profile
    • Chrono Ark Forums
« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2009, 01:42:49 pm »
 Actually, that's a really good take on it, Chrono99. I hadn't thought of that. Same main characters (sorta), different character designs, part of the game is sort of the same, but then they branch of in wildly different paths.

Although, I'll warn everyone (including our forumers too), we've been playing with the story, and it might end up being wildly different anyway. Got some really neat stuff cooking that I think everyone will like. However, the synopsis still works for it. I always liked my Doomsday clock stuff anyway.

Dark Serge

• Time Traveler (+800)
  • Now, let love bleed...
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2009, 05:05:20 am »
I had given up on Crisis long ago. Every time I asked for the slightest update (which there hasn't been since almost a year), the people over there would tell me off and say "Just wait, it'll come when it comes." Yeah right, that works for a month, but after that that excuse becomes void. I don't have the slightest confidence that Crisis will ever be finished, and I only feel sorry for the people who have wasted years of their life working on it.

I'm glad some of them are trying something new though.

As for Chains; I don't know the guy, or his situation. I only read about it, I can't judge him. But he should have been fair with us far earlier, and just told us straight out that Crisis wouldn't see completion.

nightmare975

• Architect of Kajar
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2009, 05:19:41 am »
As for Chains; I don't know the guy, or his situation. I only read about it, I can't judge him. But he should have been fair with us far earlier, and just told us straight out that Crisis wouldn't see completion.

He plans to continue Crisis, so don't go judging him like that.

Speaking of judging, I love how all of the sudden everyone on that forum snaps at Zeality, and then wonder why they don't get a good reception.

Dark Serge

• Time Traveler (+800)
  • Now, let love bleed...
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2009, 05:21:38 am »

He plans to continue Crisis, so don't go judging him like that.

Speaking of judging, I love how all of the sudden everyone on that forum snaps at Zeality, and then wonder why they don't get a good reception.

That's as much worth as him planning to become the president of the United States. He hasn't gotten a lot of progress with the team for years, and he's the reason the team abandoned him. What can he possibly do alone, or maybe with someone else with him. Really, it's done now. People will keep saying "Crisis isn't dead", but that's just ignorant. It's time to be realistic.

placidchap

• Temporal Warrior (+900)
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2009, 08:10:24 am »
Why bother continuing if Ark and Crisis are going to be similar anyway?  Just go on to something else.