Author Topic: So who Watched the Watchmen?  (Read 1902 times)

chrono eric

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
    • View Profile
So who Watched the Watchmen?
« on: March 09, 2009, 04:27:28 pm »
What did you think?

It followed the original graphic novel pretty well, and it was visually stunning and entertaining. The movie seemed somewhat cramped with trying to fit everyone's backstories into a 3 hour span, but it didn't suffer from pacing problems too bad. All things considered, I think they did a really, really good job with it. It felt like it brought the comic to life and it was adapted better than any other superhero movie that I can think of.

My only complaint with it is that they flash Doctor Manhattan's glowy blue dick a few too many times. After awhile it becomes a little too comical. I heard people crack jokes like "well at least he never needs a flashlight". Yeah, we get it, his consciousness has ascended beyond the need for clothes. But it is still funny.

All in all I'd give it two thumbs up. If not for the length, I would go see it again.

KebreI

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • A true man never dies, even when he's killed
    • View Profile
Re: So who Watched the Watchmen?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2009, 08:19:15 pm »
That is same critique I hear everywhere. Like you just said, you understood that he moved beyond the need of clothes, but if he suddenly keep wearing some, that would then be a contradiction. I loved the movie, I think this is the most faithful comic adaption I have seen in a movie, obviously they couldn't fit everything in the 3 hours. Still they fit more then I thought they would and it flowed well, the ending was altered but I actual like the way the movie did it better.

In fact my only nit-pick was the outrageously long sex scene to Leonard Cohen's Hallelujah, I know its the original but Jeff Buckley made that song in my mind.

My favorite was the opening, cued to The Times They Are A-Changin' link while its here.

Over all I loved the soundtrack, and might actually buy it (that would be a first I own the west side story album).

EDIT: SO MANY TYPOS!
« Last Edit: March 09, 2009, 08:37:01 pm by KebreI »

Radical_Dreamer

• Entity
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
    • The Chrono Compendium
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2009, 08:48:10 pm »
Walking into the theater, I was okay with the idea that the ending had been changed. The movie was going to have to make a lot of cuts anyway you looked at it, and there was a lot that would have to be added in for the graphic novel ending to fit. But with the changes they made, it just didn't make sense. That could have been executed better, but otherwise I enjoyed the film.

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2009, 09:13:07 pm »
I enjoyed it.  It was about what I expected.  It wasn't a great film, but it was a good film.

Dr. Manhatten's wiener made me laugh once or twice.

Uboa

• Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2009, 09:42:09 pm »
Lower Manhattan is nothing to laugh at.

(I saw that on digg.)

chrono eric

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2009, 11:25:53 pm »
My favorite was the opening, cued to The Times They Are A-Changin' link while its here.

Ah I forgot to mention the intro. Awesome intro and with one of my favorite songs ever. Perfectly done.

Honestly, the only superhero movie that I like better (after thinking about it) is The Dark Knight.

nightmare975

• Architect of Kajar
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2009, 11:28:44 pm »
I didn't like how they changed Rorschach's character. First his time with the psychiatrist I felt was too short, and his story about the child killer was reduced to just plain barbarism.

Movie was okay, save for that.

KebreI

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2009, 11:34:42 pm »
I haven't read Watchmen since I was 7, but to my memory that did a great job. Especially on Rorschach and the Comedian.

nightmare975

• Architect of Kajar
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2009, 11:51:24 pm »
I haven't read Watchmen since I was 7, but to my memory that did a great job. Especially on Rorschach and the Comedian.

I read it a couple of months ago, so it was still fresh in my mind. I guess it all depends.

Setheus

• Porrean (+50)
  • One who knows nothing can understand nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2009, 02:36:24 pm »
I watched it the day after it came out. And I also think they did an amazing job. Yes they changed a few things but for the most part they did a great job following the novel. Im a huge comic book nerd and I like most of the movies theyve done even though most of them really suck at following the real comic stories. But definitely a good movie and if you havent read the book READ IT >:D

Feldschlacht IV

• Earthbound (+15)
  • Hey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2009, 02:35:19 pm »
1. It follows the format of the comic really well, the dialogue, the scenes, everything.

2. Blue wang. It freaked some of my less sexually secure friends at first, but you learn to not notice it as much.

3. Rorschach was portrayed really awesome, mask on and off.

4. Not all of my friends (a lot of us went) read the comic. Even without me explaining certain things (I eventually did when we went to eat afterwards) certain aspects of the comic, they 'got it'. The overall message and plot weren't lost on them.

5. I know they had sex in the comic, but Nite Owl was giving it to Silk Spectre when they were in Archie. Wow, uh, what a scene.

6. Ozymandias is gay, as in literally homosexual. I didn't really notice it until the movie.

7. Fight scenes were awesome.

8. Once again, really faithful adaptation to the comic.

9. Excellent casting, I mean god damn

Kage

• Earthbound (+15)
  • Virtue and Honor
    • View Profile
    • Paper Caper
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2009, 03:36:53 pm »
I want to watch this movie so bad but I promised my best friend I would see it with him on his birthday this sunday.
The wait has been painstaking but I think it will be worth it.

I have heard nothing but good things.

KebreI

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2009, 03:39:10 pm »
I had a friend who didn't like it at all and had the most unique problem with it: "How could it be such a slave to the book, Snyder showed no originality at all in the movie."

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2009, 05:37:58 pm »
That's the thing with "faithfuls": one person complains that it was "too different than the original" while others while cry that it "wasn't original enough".  ie - Watchmen, Transformers, Dragonball: Evolutions, etc.

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2009, 02:37:44 pm »
If not for the length, I would go see it again.
HA. I know what you're REALLY talking about.

I haven't read Watchmen since I was 7.
You read it when you were seven? Wow.

I loved the movie, personally. I was actually afraid they'd take out stuff like the blue penis or the sex scene or change the meaning of the ending. In fact, just the idea that they kept the penis, when it would have been so easy to cover up, is a testament to how faithful Snyder was to Moore's full vision. Luckily, all they changed was the stuff that needed to be cut so they could fit it into an already large three hour waistband.

Them's big pants. And them's comfy.

edit: I wanted to mention that while watching the movie I almost tore off my girlfriend's arm and that I had not been so excited about a book to film translation since Sin City. It's that good.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2009, 02:39:16 pm by addiesin »