Author Topic: Limiting access from Square Enix  (Read 1567 times)

Ramsus

• Entity
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
Limiting access from Square Enix
« on: March 08, 2009, 12:52:20 pm »
I'm currently blocking all of the US Square-Enix IP address from accessing the Crimson Echoes website. Should I start checking our current logs for Square Enix visits and set up a pre-emptive filter script so they can't see any of the Crimson Echoes content on the site?

Granted, this doesn't stop anyone at Square Enix from visiting our site on an alternative network (e.g. at home), but it could slow them down quite a bit if we do it right.

For reference, I'm using the ARIN Whois database:

http://ws.arin.net/whois/?queryinput=square+enix

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
Re: Limiting access from Square Enix
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2009, 02:54:38 pm »
Holy cow, didn't know you could do that! If CE were still discovered by Square Enix and on the offchance any action were taken, would such a move be an aggravating factor in a lawsuit, or in issuing a C&D?

Ramsus

• Entity
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2009, 03:10:09 pm »
Only if they could prove or if it were obvious that we did anything targeting them to begin with.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2009, 06:37:40 pm »
I think Chrono Trigger: Resurrection received visits from the Japanese SE guys for about three months before the C&D order came.

nightmare975

• Architect of Kajar
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2009, 06:40:00 pm »
Could you possibly have it so those IPs are redirected to some other website? Like make a mock-up of a fake game called Crimson Echoes?

utunnels

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2009, 09:34:57 pm »
Does it mean we should not advertise it too much before it is released?

Ramsus

• Entity
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2009, 10:23:02 pm »
Could you possibly have it so those IPs are redirected to some other website? Like make a mock-up of a fake game called Crimson Echoes?

Things I can do:

• 403 forbid the IPs
  • Give fake error messages or 404s
  • Redirect them somewhere else
  • Dynamically alter the site in place so they only see certain parts of the site, or things like the trailer video and the teaser logo don't appear
  • Completely strip all images, videos, and flash applets from what they see on the CE site and here at the Compendium
  • Have a second, totally unrelated site in place that appears when they visit (there's no reason you'd have to actually redirect them anywhere)
  • Display a huge fanfic with some flash movies, and claim that's "Crimson Echoes".
  • Have Mr. Tuesday post on the forums each time they access the Compendium or the CE site
  • Automatically send all of us SMS text messages every time they access the site
  • Hack into the telephone company and have random phones call into their offices every time they visit the site
  • Pretty much anything

So yes, it's all possible. Let's get past the, "Could we...?" part of the discussion, and get to the real discussion of what "should we...?"

Does it mean we should not advertise it too much before it is released?

We really haven't been, actually. The entire point of the CE trailer site's current design was to advertise without advertising too much, and there's a reason we haven't been plastering it everywhere and trying to stir up a storm.

I think Chrono Trigger: Resurrection received visits from the Japanese SE guys for about three months before the C&D order came.

I scoped out their IP addresses too. Maybe we ought to just block all of Japan until the release.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2009, 10:35:12 pm by Ramsus »

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2009, 10:48:17 pm »
Maybe you could have just the black & white Peach Mountain Shoguns kamon appear on the site when SE employees visit. Alternatively, you could rickroll them...

Ramsus

• Entity
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2009, 10:59:56 pm »
Both would be too obvious, unless the rickroll somehow had a parody video of Robo dancing and singing in Japanese to his own theme music...

For all Japanese visitors, we ought to just have a message in Japanese that simply says, "We're sorry, but a Japanese version of this site isn't available yet. If you're interested in the Chrono series, try visiting the Chrono Center."

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2009, 11:21:51 pm »
That's perfect.

Ramsus

• Entity
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2009, 11:42:50 pm »
That takes care of Square Enix of Japan, but what about North America? And Europe?

Should I just make a website with Chrono Trigger: Unglued videos? Maybe start drawing a comic that's completely unrelated to Chrono Trigger?
« Last Edit: March 08, 2009, 11:46:30 pm by Ramsus »

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2009, 11:52:07 pm »
You can just pick a random fanfiction.net Chrono Trigger piece and link to it. Minimal work.

Redline57

• Guardian (+100)
  • Crimson Echoes rocks
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2024, 03:11:48 pm »
Squaresoft sucks, boooo!