Author Topic: Anyone explored the Schala's room glitch?  (Read 3120 times)

testing123

• Bounty Hunter
  • Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
Anyone explored the Schala's room glitch?
« on: March 06, 2009, 06:40:08 am »
In case you're not familiar with it, if you turn on the Walkthrough walls cheat code in both the DS and SNES versions, you end up in a strange glitched version of the Millenium fair.  I think someone on the compendium itself suggested this may be a leftover secret passage for the unfinished Zeal dungeon that still exists in the coding in the SNES version.

When I tried it, I ended up on one of the Ocean Palace elevators with Magus now in my party, then eventually froze at the Mammon machine.

Anyone explored this?

On a similar note, what happens if you try to do the "Chrono" part of the Dimensional Vortex without Chrono brought back yet?

teaflower

• Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • Dreams are the gateway to reality.
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone explored the Schala's room glitch?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2009, 01:28:36 pm »
Hmm... it very much so sounds like that thing in the prerelease. What happens is you turn on Walk Through Walls and you walk through Schala's bookcase, leading to some crazy labyrinth. But a glitched Millenium Fair? I've never explored this sort of thing as cheat codes tend to make me terrified (too much Missingno.). Also, I do not own a DS.

When I get home, I am TOTALLY loading up a savestate of me in Zeal to experiment with this.

Can you provide screenshots or further information?
« Last Edit: March 06, 2009, 02:20:55 pm by teaflower »

Romana

• Springtime of Youth
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Fight the Future
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2009, 01:48:43 pm »
I'm pretty sure you can end up in the moonlight parade/ending fair with a bit of WTW glitchery in Zeal, but I don't think it's in Schala's room.

Prince Janus

• Mystical Knight (+700)
  • What?? what do you want?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2009, 02:59:14 pm »
 If you try to do Crono's vortex without Crono, he'll suddenly appear in the party and someone will ask if he feels like he should go forward. Then, you'll get the character swapping screen.

If Crono is still dead, the party will not proceed. "Wait... it isn't right without Crono... let's go back"

testing123

• Bounty Hunter
  • Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2009, 02:26:10 am »
I'm pretty sure you can end up in the moonlight parade/ending fair with a bit of WTW glitchery in Zeal, but I don't think it's in Schala's room.

It's 100% in Schala's room. Just turn on Walk through walls.

I just did it in the DS game, I haven't tried the SNES one in 10 years but I'm pretty sure it's there too.

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2009, 03:40:58 am »
Man, I remember exploiting this glitch back in 1998 and how ecstatic I was when I somehow ended up with Magus vs. Magus. Though I'm not sure now how I got that to happen. Someone posted a whole guide for screwing up game continuity with the Walk Through Walls code back then. I'm really surprised you can do this on the DS version too!

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2009, 10:05:03 pm »
Yeah, I remember doing this on the American SNES release. There's a door to the Ocean Palace sitting right behind Schala's bookcase. I think Magus is activated when you drop into the OP, so you can do an awesome run through there with Magus in party.

teaflower

• Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • Dreams are the gateway to reality.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2009, 02:06:08 pm »
Hmm... HMM!!! I would test this out myself, but I don't have a save in Zeal yet. Check the other bookcase. The encyclopedia doesn't seem to say much on this matter, though. Just about the bookcase.

It shouldn't disable exits; I remember mucking around with it in the Prerelease and I went through the Factory without Robo. Good times, good times.

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2009, 02:32:35 pm »
Yeah, I think only the prerelease had Zeal dungeon if any version did.

crediar

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2009, 05:30:04 pm »
I'm currently playing with CT for DS and saw this thread and directly tried it :)
http://crediar.no-ip.com/ctds

offset 0x20720C0 holds the map id (the box at the bottom)
Most IDs are the same as on the SNES

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2009, 07:13:10 pm »
Nice. The Compendium can definitely benefit from your skill with a debugger, crediar. Have you snooped through Kajar Labs much yet?

crediar

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2009, 11:34:10 pm »
well I doubt there is more hidden there. It surprises me that the exit is there maybe they load the actual SNES data files.

I'm able to load any area and any event, so far I havn't seen anything special or secret/debug looking but there are around 512 areas to check out.

If you want to look for yourself you can change the word at 0x020720C0 to change the map which is loaded next.
For events change the word at 0x02059EA4 and enter the fair. (Area patch will work everywhere)
If you are sick of the fair music change the byte at 0x02059E98 ;)

Spekkio

• Earthbound (+15)
  • Master of War
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2009, 02:49:33 am »
BTW, does the Crono-deadly Epoch glitch still exist? I suspect it does.

chrono eric

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2009, 09:03:59 pm »
I believe, though I may be mistaken, that the only prerequisite for the Epoch glitch is that you leave it in 2300 AD, trek back to the Gate and take that to 12000 BC and then fight Lavos. Then there are two Epoch's - the one in Belthesar's dome and the one that "followed you" after the Ocean Palace disaster.