ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
NG+
« on: February 23, 2009, 11:38:48 am »
We still have time to code a few simple endings, so to minimize impact / complication on the game with NG+ and everything, we can just make it a sparkly like in Chrono Trigger that takes you to a NEW location from which a value to mem check would send you to different endings depending on the story time at which you arrived there.

For the new location, I'm thinking the player would have the long, heartbeat Gate Mode 7 scene, then arrive in darkness. They'd go up and see Lavos spawn / Schala, have a line of reaction (like {Crono}: What the...!?), and then the Frozen Flame would appear as it does in the Black Omen and say, "A past eidolon approaches..."

Then we have the King Zeal battles as normal, then fade out >>> new endings.

So right now, we'd just need to determine how many multiple endings we'd want, based on good opportunities. We would keep these simple and short. Already, I can think of a couple ideas:

• The insane dream I had about Square trying to force us to work for them; it's in the plot forum
  • Showing Lucca and Robo's life in the Reptite timeline in 2305 A.D. before things are changed back to normal
  • Showing Ozzie, Slash, and Flea meeting Spekkio, who invites them to combat adventures

And as for the sparkly leading to the DBT, it could be an orange one like in CT, and appear in a set location EXCEPT for like, the Reptite chapters, where it would need to be in unique places. Also, we can always have one ending that's hard to find, like What the Prophet Seeks.

This is probably the last "new" content that'll go in the game besides what's outlined on that thread in the beta forum. If we wanted, we could copy the King Zeal boss's stats to a new, slightly harder enemy for NG+ players.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2009, 11:40:27 am by ZeaLitY »

Chrono'99

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
Re: NG+
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2009, 02:27:40 pm »
Well, here are a few ideas.

Amor Fati (available at any time before the trip to the Ocean Palace ruins)

This is an adaptation of an event from back in the second plot draft. Magus is still locked in stasis in Dalton's dungeon. King Zeal arrives with the resurrected Schala (as Crono's party didn't intervene in the Ocean Palace ruins). He releases Magus and notes that he took care of Dalton, and that now he will resurrect Queen Zeal so that they can finally be a family again. Schala and Magus's reaction to this is...slightly ambiguous, and the screen fades to black.

Tyranny's Disease (available after the OP ruins trip but before recruiting Glenn)

A couple of scenes depict Glenn's life in the "bad" Mystic War in the years after 605 A.D. He is shown to gradually lose his sanity over the years. He becomes more and more like the iron-fisted, tyrannical Vanguards of 2,305 AD. A ghost or illusion of Cyrus talks to him in the final scene, but he shrugs it off and walks away towards Renault, Luther and Roget.

The Best Swordsman (available in Chapter 15)

Dalton and Kasmir's theft of the Masamune in the Fall of Guardia is replayed. The screen then scrolls down to reveal two soldiers, who witnessed the scene. The first one says they absolutely HAVE to retrieve this legendary sword to become famous and whatnot. The second one thinks they don't need to get involved in that stuff, but he still agrees to follow his friend. During their dialogue, their names are revealed to be Radius and Garai from CC.

I wrote this today after seeing this post, but I didn't consider possible endings for after Chapter 15 yet.

Chrono'99

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2009, 08:48:45 am »
Oh wait, my first one makes no sense since King Zeal is killed by the party, right? Scratch that one out I guess.

Here's another possible ending. More coming later. (Also obviously the names of these endings are just for reference. They don't appear in-game.)

The Road Less Traveled (during Chapter 13: Animal Persistence)

A couple of scenes depict Yaluk strolling around in some Prehistoric landscapes, walking and pausing to enjoy the sceneries (perhaps with some kind of monologue, or just the Singing Mountain music). One day, at sunset, she walks on a path that splits into two roads. A green portal opens on one of the two roads. Yaluk mutters that it's the Sanctum, that the Dragon is calling her, that she's seen it all in her dreams. However, she says she has already found everything she wants here in Prehistory. She ignores the portal and simply takes the other road, and the screen fades to black. Note: I think it has more impact this way, but if you think Yaluk should take the portal, it's okay too.

Vehek

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2009, 03:13:15 am »
How about an ending where the Vanguard-led Central Regime finds Chronopolis? (Not sure how reasonable that is)
« Last Edit: March 19, 2009, 03:17:53 am by Vehek »

Chrono'99

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2009, 03:25:49 pm »
It's definitely a good suggestion. (I'll come up with some descriptions... later hopefully.)

Agent 12

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2009, 03:38:28 pm »
oh yea I meant to reply to this, I think that's a good idea.

Also, I was thinking would we be able to show like the King and Queen Zeal living happily ever after? (if you finish in chapter 6 before atash kedah).

The party wouldn't bring the dragon tooth right so there'd be no reptite timeline right? I usually miss something with all the timelines though so correct me if I'm wrong.

--JP

Chrono'99

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2009, 05:09:17 pm »
That would be really nice, but finishing the game means killing King Zeal, doesn't it? So I don't know how we could show him in any NG+ ending at all (that's something I didn't account for in the first ending I posted above). Well, technically he is rescued by Magus in the main ending, but wouldn't it be strange, even for a NG+, to defeat him and then see him escape and resume his stuff in the timeline as if nothing happened?

Concerning the Atash Kedah, King Zeal goes to Prehistory only out of curiosity, because he was observing Crono's party and they went there (he followed them). He decided to strike Lavos only after learning about the crater after arriving in Prehistory. I made this little detail because otherwise people might ask themselves "Why did King Zeal wait for Crono's party to arrive?". It's one of these temporal stuff that are hard to convey and I think it's only suggested by a single sentence that I clumsily added in the Atash Kedah speech ("The FF wouldn't let me know about [the location of the crater]" or something).

Contrary to CT, we have two different groups of time travelers messing with time on their own (Crono's party, and King Zeal), so it was difficult to implement some events in the plot without there being too much conveniences like "he was in the past but still, he waited for them to arrive from the future"...or without the events making sense but being kind of complicated.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2009, 05:14:15 pm by Chrono'99 »

Agent 12

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2009, 05:18:45 pm »
Oh yea....forgot Zeal was dead ....whoops.  That reminds me  I haven't added in the killing Zeal between opening the new game+ gate and showing the ending yet I better add that do the database before I forget. (P.S. 99 if you have time you should check the endings to make sure they are what you intended)

I really really like how Tyranny's disease came out It's definitely my favorite you seriously feel bad for Glenn. Incase you missed it the New Game + portal is in Lara's Room, activate the plant. You should be able to new game+ directly the the chapter where they are triggered.

--JP

EDIT: Damn.....actually rereading Tyranny's disease I really should add one more scene before the final to truly show Glenn becoming hardened and add the ghost of cyrus. that totally slipped my mind. I'll make sure I do that. 
« Last Edit: March 25, 2009, 05:27:02 pm by jsondag2 »

Vehek

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2009, 03:30:37 pm »
In Tyranny's Disease, I think the re-use of Frog's line from CT might make the oddity of King Guardia waiting at the castle more noticeable. But that might be just because I've been thinking about that for a while.

Agent 12

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2009, 08:13:28 pm »
In Tyranny's Disease, I think the re-use of Frog's line from CT might make the oddity of King Guardia waiting at the castle more noticeable. But that might be just because I've been thinking about that for a while.

? sorry that went over my head...are you saying we should remove guardia (maybe cause he was brought to 1000 ad in CT ending). 

--JP