Author Topic: Chrono Trigger: A Video Tribute  (Read 2943 times)

Darkshadw

• Porrean (+50)
  • RAWR!
    • View Profile
Chrono Trigger: A Video Tribute
« on: February 17, 2009, 09:39:42 pm »

CHECK IT OUT... Hopefully you won't be disappointed.  :D

>>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Ff6r3EKiDM<<

EDIT: Please see my post below for a detailed explanation of the video.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2009, 03:10:55 am by Darkshadw »

KebreI

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • A true man never dies, even when he's killed
    • View Profile
Re: Chrono Trigger: A Video Tribute (MUST SEE)
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2009, 09:47:32 pm »
I dunno about front page worthy, plus whats with the voices, numbers, and Frog before Robo but after the trial?

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2009, 11:00:43 pm »
I couldn't listen to it, but a lot of it looked kind of lame to me...Especially the whole hit point thing for attacks...if they weren't over-the-top numbers it would actually have more impact (go figure)...especially since it's done more than once (I think it should probably be just for the Gato punch)...speaking of Gato...wtf was up with that messed up version of Gato's song? Couldn't find his actual lyrics? C'mon, he's one of the FIRST FIGHTS IN THE GAME! I also hated that one Lucca fanart where I think she's near the telepods and it looks like she has these effing massive bangs...>_> Otherwise, I stopped after the 2nd fight...

This video was all over the place. Hopefully the music makes it or something because I didn't see anything all that great (like a thousand mediocre AMVs out there), but it is Chrono-related, so it won't be doomed to the wtf check this link out thread...I'm sure someone will like it though. idk when the next big news update is, really...lots of stuff happening right now I think that's been tying people up...it'll probably get cataloged or something though (admittedly idk exactly what ZeaLitY does or how he sorts all the stuff around the Compendium)...

If I came off sounding overly critical of this, I'm sorry, but...

CHECK IT OUT... You won't be disappointed.

You were wrong. *shrugs*
« Last Edit: February 17, 2009, 11:02:36 pm by V_Translanka »

idioticidioms

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2009, 11:15:54 pm »
I honestly don't know what to think of this. While I want to applaud the effort put into it and the placement of the heart, it's really just not that good. Also, I'd be careful with the big fonts if I were you. That's one of the reasons that this other guy got banned from the forums. He had a similar name to yours, too.

tushantin

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • Under Your Moonlight, Stealing Your Stars
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2009, 11:24:53 pm »
 :lol: I agree with V_Trans there. The entire thing seemed to be a compilation of fanarts from everywhere else.

But indeed, it has been better with the sounds! And I respect the hard worked compilation. Though it could have had more effort. Regardless, this entire thing has been inspiring for me! XD Dang, I can't wait to have my tablet!

I liked that Magus laugh though. O.O A brand new side of Magus I've never seen before! Now I'd REALLY like to hear Magus's sinister laughter! And Zeal's too, of course. X3

maggiekarp

• Crimson Echoes Beta Squad
  • Time Traveler (+800)
  • ʇ ı  ʇ n o q ɐ  p ɹ ı ǝ ʍ ˙ ˙ ˙ ƃ u ı ɥ ʇ ǝ ɯ o s
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2009, 01:34:03 am »
Huh, what was the laugh like? I dunno if I wanna watch a mostly not good video for a two-second giggle, that'd be kinda creepy of me.

...Creepier than usual.

Darkshadw

• Porrean (+50)
  • RAWR!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2009, 03:07:39 am »
Meh, I'm starting to think this video wasn't intended for a mainstream audience. It's not being recieved well at other places either. :? But seriously, people shouldn't raise their expectations so high. Before anyone passes judgement they must know the backstory. This video started out as a small pet project I made to appease my friends. I decided to take it a step further. It was probably more of a personal interpretation more than anything else. Despite some small inaccuracies, I'm pleased with how it turned out.

Also, I'd be careful with the big fonts if I were you. That's one of the reasons that this other guy got banned from the forums. He had a similar name to yours, too.

Sorry about that, as an artist I feel the need to emphasize things for visual flair.  Force of habit. 8)
And another guy got banned for that with a similiar name? You've got the wrong guy, I know nothing about that.

I dunno if I wanna watch a mostly not good video for a two-second giggle...

That is blasphemy. Many of you have the nerve to judge my video without watching/listening to it all the way through. That only gives off a misleading impression. D:

:lol: I agree with V_Trans there. The entire thing seemed to be a compilation of fanarts from everywhere else.

Yes it does consist mostly of pictures. They were collected from DeviantArt and other internet sources that I gave credit to. Crappy? Not at all. I tactically used effects, transitions, titles and YES even damage counters to make them more appealing. Would you have preferred static images, overused sprites, in-game scenes or the official artwork that everyone has seen? I carefully chose among the best fanart out there (in my opinion) to piece together the story. If you compare my video to other fan-made Chrono Trigger videos on YouTube, quite frankly most of them clearly show little to no effort. I am qualified to say my video is superior.

Chrono Trigger's music has always been my favorite aspect of the game. I am in fact very passionate about it and I wanted to emphasize that by covering the highlights of the soundtrack one video. It was carefully selected from my massive library of Chrono Trigger remixes. Each one is relevant to the scene. A hardcore fan would recognize the sounds and even appreciate this attention the detail. There were also a lot intricacies involved with stitching the tracks together, making volume adjustments and adding sound effects and YES -- voices to enhance the presentation.

...Regardless, this entire thing has been inspiring for me! ...

Thank you! My other ulterior motive is inspiring Square Enix to recognize the fan community and make a true sequel to Chrono Trigger. *wishful thinking* :D

Above all, this is a showcase of fan talent; featuring art and music (with a tad of crude humor) while chronologically following the story. Basically it's Chrono Trigger in a nutshell. That's the beauty of this video tribute. I say it's pretty damn good for my first video. Honestly, a lot of thought and hard work was put into this. Don't disappoint me by jumping to baseless conclusions. I appreciate the constructive feedback, though (Those who actually WATCHED AND LISTENED to the video all the way through.)  All I ask if that you all lower your expectations, loosen up and enjoy. :)
« Last Edit: February 18, 2009, 03:53:15 am by Darkshadw »

tushantin

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • Under Your Moonlight, Stealing Your Stars
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2009, 03:49:15 am »
I appreciate the constructive feedback, though (Those who actually WATCHED AND LISTENED to the video all the way through.)  All I ask if that you all lower your expectations, loosen up and enjoy. :)
:lol: I did!

But hey, videos often misinterpret stuff. Fans often demand "high quality" and almost everyone has their own tastes. Since you haven't made the fanarts yourself your video isn't in the category of that "Gato singing" or "Robo: Day of Lavos" one, rather in the slideshow/fanart compilation category. And if so, you've done a pretty good job! XD Though there were slight flaws in that. Bleh, enough about that.

Speakin of sounds, music, video editing, etc. you've got a good sense of all those stuff!  8) When I get my tablet I'll really need your help!

idioticidioms

Re: Chrono Trigger: A Video Tribute
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2009, 04:14:19 am »
mainstream audiences are usually what make or break something, to be honest.

Some personal interpretations just aren't understood by large groups. I kind of got into it a bit after a while, but it was just weird and really didn't seem to have a point except to re-cap everything that had gone on in the series, which people have already seen better renditions of.

Not to say that your work isn't good or that you should stop trying to make new things, just that most people aren't going to quite grasp personal interpretation stuff too well.

Watch those shows about dancing and you'll see what I mean. Some of the interpretative dances are really great, for their genre, but not too many people get them because it's not what they're used to seeing.

Jutty

• Black Wind Agent (+600)
  • The Most In-Frequent Poster Ever
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2009, 07:04:04 am »
Meh, I'm starting to think this video wasn't intended for a mainstream audience.

Sorry, but that made me lol. I'm sure mainstream just wasn't ready for the powerpoint like fan art with Chrono music playing. They just can't grasp your genius. I mean it was kind of cool, but just because people don't like it doesn't meant they need to loosen up and lower expectations. It just means it was mediocre in their eyes. Keep on trying though, and next time don't make a guarantee that it won't disappoint.  :lol:

mav

• Magical Dreamer (+1250)
  • Gentleman Waiting in the Train Station at Twilight
    • View Profile
    • The RPG Realm
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2009, 01:08:30 pm »
Wow, you guys are pretty damn harsh--the video isn't bad at all. It's neat--it's not some epic film designed to give you a visual version of CT, it's a tribute video to the fan music and fan art of a great game. And the sound effects made the video--you synced those up quite well; Lucca's laughter was a bit...awkward, but some of it was just fuckin' hilarious. Crono saying "Yippie kay yay, mother fucker" made my day.

Seriously, that was pretty good...or maybe I'm just not part of the mainstream.

FouCapitan

• Whatever it is, I'm against it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2009, 08:57:16 pm »
Just me or did Marle sound like she was orgasming when she dissappeared from Guardia Castle?

Decent tribute, the voices made it a bit weird though.

Darkshadw

• Porrean (+50)
  • RAWR!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2009, 11:26:40 pm »
Just me or did Marle sound like she was orgasming when she dissappeared from Guardia Castle?

Decent tribute, the voices made it a bit weird though.

My video wasn't meant to be serious. Learn to laugh.

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2009, 12:42:00 am »
It seemed like it was taking itself too seriously, especially your pre-Edit first post...if it was trying to be funny, then I think it just missed the mark. But yeah, good job on a first try. Keep it up. No one's perfect and don't take people's criticisms too seriously either...Just maybe try to absorb what people are saying and either learn from it and grow or ignore it and continue down your own path. That's how art is, really...

Jutty

• The Most In-Frequent Poster Ever
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2009, 05:42:24 am »
It was excellent, changed my life.