Author Topic: I'm starting to think we over-analyze a lot.  (Read 3229 times)

x_XTacTX_x

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • I got myself a Paper Clip.
    • View Profile
I'm starting to think we over-analyze a lot.
« on: February 16, 2009, 03:04:44 pm »
Reviewing some of the articles here, some of the claims we've made in the past to try and fill up plotholes are just kind of ridiculous. Feel free to disagree with me, and don't misunderstand, I love this place to death, but I really feel like we've been over-analyzing too much, and thinking too much into the series.

Anybody else feel that way?

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
Re: I'm starting to think we over-analyze a lot.
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2009, 03:05:52 pm »
Square Enix could have stopped us, but they chose not to.

x_XTacTX_x

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2009, 03:09:33 pm »

Well, we've obviously influenced SE in one way or another, but that's not what I meant. Perhaps the conclusions that we've come to the CT team didn't even think about during the creation of the game.

But again, this is just me, I'm not saying it's fact.

ZealKnight

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Loyal Knight of the Kingdom of Zeal
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2009, 03:41:57 pm »
I agree. I don't really think Kato came up with Time-Travelers immunity it just explains how things could happen the way they do.

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2009, 06:18:28 pm »
Part of the fun for some of us analyzers IS THE ANALYZING.  We find the plot holes and, purely for the speculative glory one receives, we attempt to fill in that hole.  As such, the analyzing is, to a certain extent, analytical at best.  Nothing more.  It isn't meant to cure cancer nor make sense of the workings, nor is it an attempt to create canon -- it's the same reason theologians discuss, dissect, and theorize theology.  What is there to gain out of it?  Maybe understanding, maybe a few previously unknown answers, but ultimately it's about the passion.  The excitement.  The thrill. 

Oh, and ultimate glory of being the one to be able to say, "I told you so!"

As for all these predictions that Compendiumites made pre-Chrono Trigger DS... Personally, I don't think Kato and company used any of our "idea's".  I think we are just excellent at reading between the lines and making logical predictions. :D

mav

• Magical Dreamer (+1250)
  • Gentleman Waiting in the Train Station at Twilight
    • View Profile
    • The RPG Realm
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2009, 07:26:03 pm »
I have nothing against analyzing; I think it's a staple of this site and it's extremely invigorating, but perhaps we do over-analyze often...but is there anything wrong with that? I think it's healthy for us to think, and fun for us to prove each other right and wrong every once in a while.

And if our ideas make sense, it's probably a coincidence. :P

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2009, 09:53:15 pm »
"Too much" as in we need to get a life? Probably. "Too much" as in they'll find us & shut us down? Probably not. "Too much" as in it doesn't matter so we shouldn't even bother? Not on your life. I think it is an attempt to set a canon so that all fan works can be consistent & detailed if needed. No one's saying the theories represented at the Compendium are the be-all, end-all, but a lot of serious time went into the discussion & creation of them...that obviously doesn't mean they can't be wrong (why, hello Dalton!), but finding out what is from what you thought can be just as interesting & is part of the 'fun'. It also goes to show the extreme dedication (some may say obsession :lol:) fans have to the series. If it ever gets back to someone from Square, all the better...!
« Last Edit: February 16, 2009, 09:55:57 pm by V_Translanka »

idioticidioms

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2009, 10:06:08 pm »
When it comes down to dealing with time travel and all the paradoxes, etc. that go with it, there is never such a thing as over-analysis. These are not just conversations to try to explain the events in the Chrono series but also to expand the intellect of those who read them and reply with well-thought out answers. There are many different possibilities and theories to entertain and it is utterly fascinating. Of course, if you're not into theology, I can see how this could be sort of a turn-off to you.

x_XTacTX_x

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2009, 10:24:01 pm »
No, no, I actually enjoy the analyzing, and I've read through all of the articles and records here, and have participated in much theorizing myself. The thought just kind of came to me for a second, that the series wasn't really that complicated, or planned out to be.

But, nevermind. If I love something, I like to not question it and just enjoy it.

idioticidioms

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2009, 10:52:57 pm »
lmao, yeah I'm pretty sure the original Chrono team didn't put too much thought into it at all, but I'm also pretty sure that it's why there's been such a delay in the coming of a new game.

FouCapitan

• Black Wind Agent (+600)
  • Whatever it is, I'm against it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2009, 11:28:58 pm »
It's a creative vent to explain that which is never presented to us.  Seeing that we're at the whim of the developers, everything we theorize and analyze is subject to change at the drop of Kato's hat.

Just imagine the next Chrono game debunking over half of the Compendium's articles.  That'd just give us all the more drive to come up with something better to fit a larger universe.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2009, 11:40:33 pm »
Analysis serves a dual purpose; fan games can link up to canon and be internally consistent thanks to our work. No one ever has to be in doubt on where a fan work stands in relation to Chrono series mechanics.

utunnels

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2009, 11:44:09 pm »
No, no, I actually enjoy the analyzing, and I've read through all of the articles and records here, and have participated in much theorizing myself. The thought just kind of came to me for a second, that the series wasn't really that complicated, or planned out to be.

But, nevermind. If I love something, I like to not question it and just enjoy it.
That's why like hanging around here.
And I agree with you it is over analyzed, but I just don't care, the series is good, but that doesn't mean it is perfect in every aspect. If something is not officially explained enough, it's always fun to see a fan analysis.
Although, I like to dig what the script has already told us.

Ramsus

• Entity
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2009, 02:52:13 am »

Well, we've obviously influenced SE in one way or another, but that's not what I meant. Perhaps the conclusions that we've come to the CT team didn't even think about during the creation of the game.

But again, this is just me, I'm not saying it's fact.

Of course they didn't. Most of the literature you study and analyze in English class never had as much thinking going into its creation as coming out of its analysis, and yet that's how you learn to break apart and identify the parts that make the work effective. It's a lot like art theory...

x_XTacTX_x

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2009, 03:56:55 am »
Well, if you think about it that way, yeah it does make sense...

Sorry guys.