Author Topic: FaustWolf's progress thread and bug report  (Read 14780 times)

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
Re: FaustWolf's progress thread and bug report
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2009, 06:12:11 am »
Oh, I should note that I had a slight problem with Savestates in ZSNES during Chapter 1. I had been just using Slot 0 (.szt), then when I wanted to go back and do another video capture of a previous scene, so I switched to using Slot 1 (.zs1), and suddenly I found that ZSNES wouldn't load either Slot 0 or Slot 1. However, I followed the perrennial rule of "if it doesn't work, reboot it" and everything worked out fine. It was just a hiccup with the emulator and not with the game as far as I know. I'm using ZSNES 1.51.

You probably might have pressed the Up or Down arrow keys while on the save state number selection screen. This takes you to a different bank of savestates (since ZSNES lets you save 100 total I think; 10 per 0-9).

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2009, 06:30:59 pm »
Interesting, I may have done that.

Chapter 2: Double Trouble

Qualitatively speaking, CE's still got it. Since Dalton doesn't seem to be advising General Montcrief from the shadows or anything, the gaming populace will prefer your story to Square Enix's, I think...though it's possible gamers are going to believe Dalton is secretly the one behind everything. Boy, are they going to be surprised!

Bug Report:

1.Tile overlap issue in the Porre training grounds, 1000AD

2.Extra exit tile needed in the Porre soldier's housing. It's easy for the player to get in this position, although it's harmless because the next tile up has exit properties.

3+4.The Light of God shineth upon thee...if you check inventory while in Fiona's Shrine at night.

It's gonna be a little hard to sleep in there. Also, anything you guys can do about overlays applying to some NPCs but not others?  JP NOTE: There's like 8 bugs like this open......i dont know a way to do it.  I agree it's annoying and it's even more annoying in a future chapter :-/

5.Typo; should be: Guardian soldiers have

6.Who you callin' "mister"? Any way to make the lemonade girl's line gender-specific to the lead character or just delete the word "mister" from it? Also, I just wanted to make sure that the characters are supposed to whip their weapons out in celebration of liquid lemon goodness instead of playing a normal victory animation.

7.Game froze after talking to Norstein Bekkler on Party-Easy at the Colliseum!!  JP NOTE: Gross a show stopper

8.Typo in Central Regime

9. At one point after visiting the colliseum, I found to my amazement that all active party members were equipped with the Bandana, which Crono had been wearing, and he was in the first party slot. Could this possibly have something to do with the "bad accessory" command in the Colliseum? I'm not complaining though! Since the other characters' original accessories just got tossed into the item pool, this is a great way to duplicate uber accessories... By design, it gives you a free bandana?  Not really an awesome accessory and totally worth the price to have handicaps IMO.  you can also get free "worst armors" and "worst weapons"

8.Agent 12 Grammar. Should be something like: "I have it working one way. Do you want some items?"

I literally stood up and cheered when I saw Melchior fighting that Mage, by the way. He's so kickass.  JP NOTE: Yes he is.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2009, 11:49:32 pm by jsondag2 »

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2009, 07:54:15 pm »
Darn it, Magus doesn't appear in the character select screen after you save Schala.

Oh, wait -- the bug is that Magus shouldn't be standing in Chronopolis' Dispatch Chamber room. Currently the game misleads you into believing you can select him just before you go to 605AD.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2009, 07:56:04 pm by FaustWolf »

Agent 12

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2009, 08:00:03 pm »
Yea magus joins later.  What did you find misleading....i haven't played through slowly in awhile but i remember magus sort of being like "f off i'm hanging out with schala for awhile"

--JP

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2009, 08:10:08 pm »
I sense I'm about to go into Chapter 4 now, so I'll do the whole bug report for Chapter 3.

Chapter 3: Beneath the Azure

1.My peeps are walking on lava, yo! The non-leader party members seem to prefer this over walking on normal tiles in this one room of the Ocean Palace ruins. It might be an after battle condition, I'm not sure now.

2.Crono's disembodied voice. He's actually standing behind Robo during this scene, but he really should be standing around Lucca since Robo was the only character to wait up for Magus.  JP NOTE: Do you remember your exact party (order and all?)

3. The bug I reported above. After you rescue Schala, Magus is in two places at once -- in the commons room and with Schala.  JP NOTE:  What a tease :)

Fantastic decision to stick a Megalixer on King Zeal. Even though the battle was unwinnable, Magus heroically and profitably robbed his daddy before going down.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2009, 12:01:10 am by jsondag2 »

Agent 12

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2009, 08:16:01 pm »
ohhhh now is ee what your saying.....yea that's a bug :)  Yea the PC2/PC3  deciding to go do their own thing bug is pretty annoying but fixable.

--JP

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2009, 08:29:18 pm »
In the chapter "Murmurs of Red," (chapter 4) you can go to 11,995BC and 1005AD as well as your destination. Two things:

1. You guys are totally gods for accounting for the possibility that an aggressive beta tester would try to trip you up by going to 1005AD before finding Frog. Walking out of the Denadoro Mountains, crossing Zenan Bridge, and finding myself facing the Vanguard Post was totally surreal. And then the kids playing in Leene's Square were talking about Renault and Kasmir instead of Glenn and Magus. Excellent!

2. The ferry in 11,995BC seems to be seriously messed up. When the ferry leaves, the screen scrolling acts weird, and more importantly, the ferryman nefariously drops you off at a beach from which there is no return. At least I'm not finding it on the 11,995BC overworld. The player could get stuck this way if they make a savegame after using the ferryman, because the Gate out is on the ferryman's island.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2009, 12:05:23 am by jsondag2 »

Agent 12

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2009, 08:35:44 pm »
hrm......that's s show stopper.    Zeality can you confirm this bug?

--JP

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2009, 08:38:42 pm »
Here's my savestate just after starting Chapter 4 if it's useful.

Try walking on the ferry as the ferryman shoves off and you'll see what I mean about scrolling issues.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2009, 08:40:29 pm »
Weird. I don't get the bug, even if I use your savestate. Perhaps we should release the latest patch build in case it was a total fluke or something with one of the older builds...

Edit: Yeah, wow. It was really difficult sometimes keeping track of all the timeline changes, but we managed. Thanks for the feedback.

Agent 12

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2009, 08:44:03 pm »
FW, do you see the little raft in the OW after you leave?  You should be able to take the raft back to the island?  Oh i didn't try shoving the ferry man....that can be fixed with an explore mode off.

--JP

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2009, 09:13:31 pm »
Wild. Yeah, the raft's there now. I'm not sure what was up when I tried it before -- apparently there may be certain very specific conditions to trigger the bug. I'll try again and see if I can reproduce it.

EDIT: Can't reproduce the ferryman showstopper. Weird. It doesn't depend on party composition anyway.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2009, 09:16:34 pm by FaustWolf »

Agent 12

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2009, 11:14:33 pm »
haha i repro'd it!!  Very sneaky...... the events are something like this:

Talk to explorer
Scroll Screen
Set memory bit (puts raft at opposite end)
change location  to overworld

But because there's no exploremode off it's possible to run out ot the exit after the set memory bit, but before the change location() putting you one one side and the raft on the other.

BUG'd

--JP

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2009, 02:41:32 am »
Aha, so I wasn't going crazy after all.

Chapter 4: Murmurs of Red

Storyline-wise, this is my fave chapter yet. As I said in the "decisions, decisions" thread, we beta testers need to make sure each of the options here is covered. It's great how each option is morally ambiguous! I tried out all three, but I'm playing the game through after siding with the Mystics. I just couldn't stand beating up those poor, lovable, harmless, and misunderstood Blue Imps. However, Frog clearly felt pangs of guilt while looking upon the dead Porrean soldiers, and quite frankly, so did I. This is the epitome of player choice. I, FW, killed those Porreans, and no matter what I made Frog choose, someone was going to die. War is hell, damn it.

Oh! Before I forget, the unexpected hero of this chapter was definitely Samuel. What a great little touch in the Mystic cave!! We live in an era in which players are rewarded for running over civilians in PS2 games, and here, in CE, we have an example of the rewards of good samaritanship. Damn straight, that Rage Band Samuel knocked out of the Mystics saved my sorry ass during the Kasmir fight.

Bugtest wise, we've got some interesting ones here.

1. Didn't you? Didn't you! Which one should it be? Just a grammar check. Either one is acceptable IMO, merely changing the NPC's intonation in the reader's mind. I think ! works find Zeality can comment

2. Dorino Field intro fight still replays if you leave and then re-enter before finding Frog. Players will be strongly tempted to make use of a Shelter after fighting those devils, only to return and think, "Oh no, not again!"

3.  Psst...you're talking about me! I'm not even sure how much control you have over this at this point, but it would have been a nice touch to have King and Queen Guardia react to Glenn specifically. Added place holders and bug for zeality.  In our defense there are reactions for marle in thi chapter....and magus for future chapters but yea guardias line is pretty stupid.

4. Battle solidity issue in Dorino Field. Probably negligible, seeing as you have to let the devilmen wander around a bit. JP NOTE: These are a pain in the ass but sometimes fixable so please report

5. Discombobulated Hench. This Hench managed to miss Frog during a tackle and go right off screen, at which point the Hench came back on screen from the opposite direction and graphically glitched. The glitch lasted as long as I was in the Mystic tunnel.   JP NOTE:  .......

6. Tile overlap issue in Kasmir's cave.

7.After the party defeats Kasmir in the Mystic tunnel, Lucca says: "Huh, What happened?" I think she said "What" with a capital "W" instead of the lower-case "w" the sentence would normally merit.

8.Showstopper, boys! Mystic Den tile solidity kills the heroic frog. Truly the most effective snare Kasmir has ever invented.

9. Alfador is the power behind Porre! (Sound gets wonky while fighting the Porrean troops if you side with the Mystics). Also, you guys are really going to (insert text) eventually right? This is if the player sides with the Mystics. I think it might be Luther who has the (insert text) but I'm not sure -- it's a Knight sprite who's speaking in any case.  JP NOTE: Bug for zeality with dialogue....apparantly if the "map music" is battle 1, you need to set "use map music" in the battle command

10. The battle between the Vanguard/Guardians and the Mystics has lots of graphical irregularities that could be ironed out if you want to polish it further. This is if you choose Porre's side. Ogres are running around in trees and stuff.  JP NOTE: I think the stuff coming out of trees is on purpose?  Screen shots?

11.The forest dies with Porre. I didn't notice this incomplete tileset issue during the actual battle in the
Mystic Den, but it's here now. I made the choice to help the Mystics.
JP NOTE: I cleaned it up a little but damn i hate the forest tile set....and the cave one too
« Last Edit: February 21, 2009, 03:59:42 am by jsondag2 »

Agent 12

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2009, 03:04:33 am »
That damn sound glitch is ridiculous haha......someone reported it thanks for the reminder!

Nice catch on the showstopper.....i was cleaning up the battle forest and apparantly ran into that poor hungry imps place.

I'll get to these right away ( iwas just about to check in the rom)

--JP

EDIT:  Just want to emphasize my note up there about the graphical irregularities when choosing porre?  I saw imps and stuff jumping out of trees but not what you described?  Don't worry about going back to check but if you remember off the top of your head it could help.  Also, yea I like samuel too :)  he totally just popped in my head one day when I was adding a new room to that tunnel and he makes a reappearance later if you rescued him so congrats :)
« Last Edit: February 21, 2009, 04:15:42 am by jsondag2 »