Author Topic: Art and design resource consolidation  (Read 11484 times)

Ramsus

• Entity
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
Re: Art and design resource consolidation
« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2009, 12:35:36 pm »
Do whatever looks best resolution wise. If you record at anything smaller than 640x480, definitely use 256x224 and keep it that size and ratio (unless you stretch it out to something much bigger, like 640x480). If you record at bigger sizes, especially using filters, then you can go ahead and stretch it to a 4:3 aspect ratio and use something like 640x480. Basically, test it out a bit and see what works well.

The video's framerate can be anything between 15 and 60fps, as long as there isn't any frameskipping or lag being recorded. Even 15 fps will look smooth enough, as long as it's a consistent 15 fps, so go for consistency. In other words, just pay attention to the actual perceived smoothness, not the numbers, since they can be misleading when the framerate varies.

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2009, 06:47:15 pm »
Ramsus, here's a test clip that I want to get your feedback on.
http://www.sendspace.com/file/5naxp7

I'm worried about the B-Frame decoder message I get when playing it. If that's a problemo, I'm going to play the game in SNES9x and use its internal AVI recording feature. I was using ZSNES and converting from ZMV to AVI via an XVID codec.

Other than the B-Frame decoding error, what's your opinion of the smoothness and frame size of the video capture?
« Last Edit: February 18, 2009, 06:49:18 pm by FaustWolf »

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 18, 2009, 06:53:20 pm »
I know the music's delayed a bit, but I'm really putting together the sweetest selection of Chrono music drawing from the complete collection. This...this is REALLY going to be burned to a lot of CDs / MP3 players; I can already tell. It was one of my longtime plans to release a remix album of "inspiring music" with Crimson Echoes, and so I'm basically putting it together now.

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2009, 07:07:52 pm »
Sweet, looking forward to it.  :lee:

Take your time, I'm going to spend a few days capturing literally everything that looks interesting in the slightest to prepare for all possible preview videos, so I won't need music until Friday, probably.

Ramsus

• Entity
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 19, 2009, 05:22:58 am »
Ramsus, here's a test clip that I want to get your feedback on.
http://www.sendspace.com/file/5naxp7

I'm worried about the B-Frame decoder message I get when playing it. If that's a problemo, I'm going to play the game in SNES9x and use its internal AVI recording feature. I was using ZSNES and converting from ZMV to AVI via an XVID codec.

Other than the B-Frame decoding error, what's your opinion of the smoothness and frame size of the video capture?

The smoothness is perfect, and the frame size is good, since the video quality is so clean.

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 19, 2009, 04:05:25 pm »
Okay, time for me to start the captures! I'm a day late on this already. I may just have to use clips from the first half of the game for the teaser.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 20, 2009, 02:16:29 pm »
Preliminary release of Crimson Echoes Remix Side Music Thingie Which I Don't Have a Name For Yet:

http://chronofan.com/Zeality/CEM0.5.zip

Let me know if it doesn't unzip, and I'll reup.

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 20, 2009, 04:00:43 pm »
It unzips fine. I'll listen to these when I'm not playing CE, and the first teaser will flow from there.

How do you guys want the first teaser to flow?

Option 1:
*Some video footage
*CE Logo and Kajar Labs logo
*More video footage

Option 2:
*CE Logo and Kajar Labs logo
*Video footage

It's a matter of when the logos should appear, which will help set the mood. Or something.

Chrono'99

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 21, 2009, 03:24:32 am »
Personally I think Option 2 is better as people will immediately know that it's something brand new. They'd think "CT:CE" before even thinking about the original CT.

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 21, 2009, 03:33:30 am »
I probably won't be able to start on the video til Sunday unless I stop capturing clips now, and I've only finished Chapter 4. Ramsus, what's your status on the site? On the other hand, since the first teaser is relatively no-frills, it should be pretty quick to whip up.

That gives you guys some time to bicker over the "options" I mention above. Anything's fine by me. I'll go with what '99 says if everyone else is neutral.

ZeaLitY, these are some kickass tracks you gave me. I'm usually really picky when it comes to music (heh, who isn't?) but a lot of these seriously inspire me. Ramsus will get a Crono & Marle theme intro to the teaser, but in a style I find so much more palatable than the original song. :D

Agent 12

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 21, 2009, 04:02:19 am »
Ramsus let me know what info you need for the site and it's all yours.  I'm cool with either option.

--JP

Ramsus

• Entity
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 21, 2009, 04:10:59 am »
I just finished modifying some screen capture video recording code from Apple into a tool to record time-lapse videos, since I wanted to document parts of making the site (i.e. creating some logos, creating some art, etc.).

I only got up a few hours ago, so I'm going to follow-up by making a logo for the team and creating the trailer page. I'll post updates here as I finish stuff.

FaustWolf,

Go ahead and finish capturing however much video you'll need. We'll push back getting the site up and ready until next weekend. For this weekend, just upload a 1-2 minute test video sometime Sunday morning. I'll try to get it set up Sunday so all we have to do to go live with the site is drop in some videos and move a few files.

Also, JP,

If you just e-mail the information to jodoherty@gmail.com, I'll go ahead and set up a preview once I get it together.

Ramsus

• Entity
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 21, 2009, 01:32:54 pm »
Peach Mountain Shoguns, black background, first attempt.

Not quite where I want it to be, so I'll redo it later. We'll have to use them for now though.

EDIT: Also, the-making-of video.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2009, 03:42:59 pm by Ramsus »

Ramsus

• Entity
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 21, 2009, 01:34:51 pm »
Of course the standard for Kajar Labs are these:

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 21, 2009, 05:25:16 pm »
Oooh, I like the track that plays on Ramsus' "making of" vid -- I'd like to have a snippet of that play while the Peach Mountain Shoguns logo displays if nobody minds. It could be the Peach Mountain Shoguns' official jingle.

Also, which version of the Peach Mountain Shoguns logo should be used? I guess we can have a different version used for each of three trailers. We have the CE logo on a black background and the Peach Mountain Shoguns logo on a black background, so I'm leaning toward using the black background Kajar Labs logo too.

At the start of the first teaser vid we'll display each of the logos (PMS -- oh jeez, I guess I'll use the full name from now on -- Kajar Labs and CE). Going with the no-frills setup for the first teaser, should we just play them in a certain order? Like, the Peach Mountain Shoguns logo would play with the jingle, then the jingle fades and the Kajar Labs logo and CE logo appear in succession while the teaser audio kicks in. Or maybe the Peach Mountain Shoguns logo jingle will continue while the other logos display?

In any case, after I get some homework done today I'm going to do some more captures and make the first teaser with what I've got. I currently have 34 clips in my CE video repository, so if I can get in another 10 I should have plenty to run with.