Author Topic: Janus...  (Read 4671 times)

Mystik3eb

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/dfscanl/index.html
Janus...
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2005, 09:06:22 am »
Quote from: Chrono'99
I mean, some people could argue that her name was always meant to be spelt "Doreen" (being a pun, like those in Dragon Ball).

...uh, what? *blink*

Yea, Woolsey tried his hardest to do everything his job entailed, and those things were: translating from Japanese to English, and making it americanized (I still think Flea's heritage kicks ass). He had alot of things going against him, but he did do a good job. It seems that most Americans don't care about the translators trying to "Americanize" it. It's not American. Period. We want the pure version, as pure as we can get.

Frankly we should all learn to speak and read Japanese. It's a kick-ass language.

AuraTwilight

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
Janus...
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2005, 06:43:42 pm »
WOOOO! My language is cool! Now maybe I won't have to speak english on the forum? :D

WOOOO! 私の言語は涼しい! 今多分私はフォーラムの英語を話す必要がないか。:D

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
Janus...
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2005, 05:02:02 am »
Yeah, while some of us American RPGers are purists, we're still American, so we're also lazy purists.

:P

Daniel Krispin

Janus...
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2005, 12:57:35 am »
My apologies, but anything concerning myth and/or the Greek language is like a lure to me, irresistable. I'll try to remain innocuous in all regards, however.

Quote from: Burning Zeppelin
Doreen means gift in greek as well

Now, not to say I know this. I don't. I have to look it up. I know that Dora or something near it is gift, as in Pandora, but I'm not sure on the ending. The een is not Greek, that much is sure. Okay... the Lexicon's being kind to me and giving me an easy explanation. It is (dôron) δωρον (oh, apologies for the Greek... this is the first time I have XP, and it allows me to write Greek letters in a forum post. Naturally, I'm ecstatic. Who wouldn't be? Okay, there's sarcasm in that, but it really does excite me.) Anyway, I suppose Dora is the feminine, or maybe Dorê. Doreen probably comes from that, so I'd wager you're right. Just thought I'd support that, out of interests sake.

As far as the term Zealot goes... it is a Greek term, to the best of my knowledge, describing very ardent determination. Okay, I'm turning to the Lexicon again... okay. It's a word used by Sophocles, so that makes it pretty well a native Greek term. Oh, here! This is neat. The Lexicon gives an explanation of how it ties in with Hebrew. It says the Greek term for a Zealot is Zêlôtês (Ζηλωτης), and is the term used to describe the Hebrew Kananitês, which comes from something meaning to glow (Oh, and if you read this Legend of the Past, do correct me if I'm getting anything wrong about this Hebrew, I'm just reading it from the Greek Lexicon.) Anyway, that makes sense, as the Bible, which usually described such things, was written in Greek, and naturally would have made use of a Greek word in translation. So, essentially, it is Greek, and it is the name for the Hebrew freedom fighters. Now, as far as the term for the indwelling of a god goes... it's not zealot, or zealous, but there is one, and I did know it once, earlier this semester. It's the opposite of ecstasy, which I think is 'out of'. I don't think my notes have the term, though.

Anyway, that's that. I just thought I'd comment. I've got a rather great passion for these things, so my eagerness to answer is born out of a rather giddy excitement that they're being discussed rather than anything else.

AuraTwilight

• View Profile
Janus...
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2005, 06:45:12 pm »
Also, while I'm thinking of it, Janus is also one of Jupiter's moons. Sweet.

Radical_Dreamer

• Entity
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
    • The Chrono Compendium
Janus...
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2005, 12:47:56 am »
Quote from: Daniel Krispin
My apologies, but anything concerning myth and/or the Greek language is like a lure to me, irresistable. I'll try to remain innocuous in all regards, however.

Now, not to say I know this. I don't. I have to look it up. I know that Dora or something near it is gift, as in Pandora, but I'm not sure on the ending. The een is not Greek, that much is sure. Okay... the Lexicon's being kind to me and giving me an easy explanation. It is (dôron) δωρον (oh, apologies for the Greek... this is the first time I have XP, and it allows me to write Greek letters in a forum post. Naturally, I'm ecstatic. Who wouldn't be? Okay, there's sarcasm in that, but it really does excite me.) Anyway, I suppose Dora is the feminine, or maybe Dorê. Doreen probably comes from that, so I'd wager you're right. Just thought I'd support that, out of interests sake.

As far as the term Zealot goes... it is a Greek term, to the best of my knowledge, describing very ardent determination. Okay, I'm turning to the Lexicon again... okay. It's a word used by Sophocles, so that makes it pretty well a native Greek term. Oh, here! This is neat. The Lexicon gives an explanation of how it ties in with Hebrew. It says the Greek term for a Zealot is Zêlôtês (Ζηλωτης), and is the term used to describe the Hebrew Kananitês, which comes from something meaning to glow (Oh, and if you read this Legend of the Past, do correct me if I'm getting anything wrong about this Hebrew, I'm just reading it from the Greek Lexicon.) Anyway, that makes sense, as the Bible, which usually described such things, was written in Greek, and naturally would have made use of a Greek word in translation. So, essentially, it is Greek, and it is the name for the Hebrew freedom fighters. Now, as far as the term for the indwelling of a god goes... it's not zealot, or zealous, but there is one, and I did know it once, earlier this semester. It's the opposite of ecstasy, which I think is 'out of'. I don't think my notes have the term, though.

Anyway, that's that. I just thought I'd comment. I've got a rather great passion for these things, so my eagerness to answer is born out of a rather giddy excitement that they're being discussed rather than anything else.

Question: Was the New Testament written in Greek as well? I thought only the Old Testament had segments in Ancient Greek, although I could be wrong. Perhaps I got the wrong idea, but I thought that Rome rose after Greek stopped being a predominant language. I ask because the Zealots fought against the Romans, so that would probably be New Testament, if it's in the Bible at all.

Daniel Krispin

Janus...
« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2005, 02:14:46 am »
The New Testament was wholly Greek. That was one of the reasons it took so long to be actually written down (60AD or something like that - long after the events described.) It's in a form of Greek called Coinei, or some near spelling. This was the virtues such as Paul and Luke brought to the Bible: they were scholars who knew the language of theology. It was only far later that it was translated into Latin. I've heard it said, though, that no language is as good as Greek for speaking of theology.

Now, the Old Testament... that is wholly Hebrew. At least in the Protestant Bibles, the latest books are shortly after the post-exilic period, which is about 500BC. This is long before the Selucid domination of the area, and as such Greek was essentially unimportant in the region. It was not until the Septuagent, written at Alexandria under the Hellenic rulers, that the Old Testament was given a Greek translation.

Now, the Zealots fighting the Romans is only very slightly in the Bible. They are spoken of here and there, and it's thought that the reason Judas is surnamed Iscariot is due to a certain form of sickle, sharpened on the outside edge, with which Zealots would disembowel people in the marketplace who dealt with Romans. Thus, he was likely a Zealot assassin. Now, I think that the Zealots are given further description in things written by - and here my knowledge is shaky - a certain Romanized Hebrew Josephus. I think he was at hand for the siege of the last Zealot fortress, the desert mesa of Masada.

But furthermore, though it is true that Rome become predominant over Greece sometime between 200 and 100BC, that does not mean the Latin language took over wholly. Greek remained more of a scholarly language, and much of the arts of Rome were Greek in origin. How does the saying go? Something like 'captive Greece took captive their captor.' Rome knew well that they were no artists. They were engineers and rulers and warriors. Anchises says to his son Aineias in the Aineid (and remember this is a very nationalistic work for Rome) that the crafts of the Romans are to bring peace and governance to peoples. Not to shape marble, or cast bronze, but to be rulers and warriors. As such, there is no reason why Greek should not have remained prominent, espeically in such fields as theology - itself a Greek term.

Clotho

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
Janus...
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2006, 03:41:20 pm »
i think, that, alfador is the key lol

hi everybody , happy new year!!!!

kennyj2003

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
Janus...
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2006, 09:45:58 pm »
Or he could just be a purpleish cat.......

AuraTwilight

• View Profile
Janus...
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2006, 07:26:06 pm »
Please don't revive old threads with spam o_o

Daniel Krispin

Janus...
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2006, 09:36:26 pm »
Not wholly out of character, though, if my memory serves. Isn't Clotho the Fate of the past? In that case, reviving an old thread would be justified.
Or not.
But it just struck me.

AuraTwilight

• View Profile
Janus...
« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2006, 07:35:53 pm »
Fate of the Past? No, the Fates ruled over destiny. One spins the thread of life, the other measures how much a person is going to live, and then the last one cuts the thread, killing the mortal.

chrono trigger

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.allhiphop.com
Janus...
« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2006, 07:47:18 pm »

i am greek man and doreen doesnt mean gift
but ''doro'' means so i guess there kinda sound the same.Kinda

Daniel Krispin

Janus...
« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2006, 04:59:00 am »
Quote from: chrono trigger

i am greek man and doreen doesnt mean gift
but ''doro'' means so i guess there kinda sound the same.Kinda

It's probably more related to Classical Greek, anyway, which is rather differant than modern Greek. As I said, if it's neuter, which it is, would be doron. Plural is dora. That likely goes through various Latinizations and Anglisizations to come to Doreen. So it is Greek, in the same way that Jesus is a Hebrew name - right origin, but it looks alike only in passing.

As far as the Fates go... yeah, that's true, but at least in CC, they were given those connections. And, if one thinks about it, it is the past that spins, the present that measures, and the future that cuts.