Author Topic: Moving Out  (Read 430 times)

Jutty

• Black Wind Agent (+600)
  • The Most In-Frequent Poster Ever
    • View Profile
Moving Out
« on: February 13, 2009, 04:45:36 am »
So I'm getting an apartment, and I was just wondering if anyone had any helpful advice. Mostly things that can help financially in getting furniture and such. I was thinking about going the rent to own approach, but I have heard that it's better to just buy it outright and not have things financed. It's just a bit overwhelming at the moment and I need ways to cut costs.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
Re: Moving Out
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2009, 05:33:08 am »
Don't ever, ever trust any assurance that the apartment will be clean when you arrive to take residence. And don't spare any forcefulness in making the owners clean it up. If it's really bad, you might just need to take your business elsewhere.

idioticidioms

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2009, 06:00:17 am »
I think he was asking about advice on furniture, but that's good advice too.

You're going to be dealing with a landlord. Make sure you check the lease, because some leases have it to where if something breaks, it's on you. If you're renting, it should be on the Landlord to make sure things are fixed.

You know, I've always been told that it's better to have your furniture first, in storage somewhere, and then look for a place to stay. But, I'm guessing that's not an option for you at this point. Your best bet would be to go to places like Value Village or Goodwill to look for cheap beds, couches, etc. If you have low income, that's going to be your best bet for furniture. Sure, it's used. Sure, some of it is probably going to need a really good scrubbing before you trust it enough to use it, but the bottom line is that tough times call for tough living. You just gotta do what you gotta do. I wouldn't ever advise renting furniture to own. I mean, I'm sure it works great for some people, but again, if you're on low income and you're going to be making just enough to pay for your apartment (bills included) and have enough to eat each month, with some money left over, then having other payments on top of that isn't going to help you much.

FouCapitan

• Whatever it is, I'm against it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2009, 06:23:35 am »
Start small, especially if rent has you stretching for cash.  It's your first place, it doesn't need to be furnished like a mansion.

I wouldn't rent your furniture, but that's just me.  I prefer to own things.

Lastly, congratulations and good luck.  Moving out on your own is easily the biggest step to adulthood of them all.

placidchap

• Temporal Warrior (+900)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2009, 08:22:59 am »
Avoid financing at all costs.  As for the bed comment, I am going to add frame to the end of that.  Don't get a used mattress, if they are even sold.  Definitely clean the place before moving your belongings in.  Both apartments that I have had claimed they steam cleaned the carpets, but both were dirty as fuck.  Make sure you thoroughly inspect and document all flaws with the apartment, with the landlord present.  You don't want to be liable for something you inherited from the previous renters.  Read the lease agreement.  Look for the term of the lease, when and how you can terminate the lease, if need be, their pet policy...that's all I can think of right now. 
edit:  Another good idea, when you move out of the apartment, be courteous and clean the place since the landlord probably will do minimal cleaning and they may charge you for the cleaning that they say they did.

Interestingly, in Ontario, "No Pet" clauses in the lease agreement are unenforceable.  They can legally deny you the apartment if they know beforehand, but if you get in there and either buy a pet or already had a pet and did not disclose it to them, they can not evict you.  It seems from a quick google search that this is not the case in the US...
« Last Edit: February 13, 2009, 08:35:41 am by placidchap »

Jutty

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2009, 08:48:39 am »
Thanks for the advice, I already have a bed but that's about it. All I have right now is bed, tv, and pc. I think I will check goodwill and try to find a sofa/loveseat. The rest can wait for the time being I guess.

placidchap

• Temporal Warrior (+900)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2009, 09:48:21 am »
Don't forget about the small things that you are used to using at home...that will not come with an apartment...lamps, silverware, pots, dinnerware (plates, bowls etc), glasses/cups, can opener, scissors, other kitchen utensils, microwave, toaster and other misc stuff.  if you know your move in date and the utility companies involved, call them ahead of time to set up a date that is right after you move in for a seemless transition.  We had to wait 10-15 days to get the internet hooked up...or the phone I can't remember.

Radical_Dreamer

• Entity
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
    • The Chrono Compendium
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2009, 01:43:54 pm »
You don't need to fully furnish your apartment right off the bat. As time goes on, and your finances adjust to the new cost of living (remember, it's not just rent: There's water, electricity, garbage removal, internet, and possibly gas, cable, and phone service to pay for) you can start budgeting out for other furniture you want.

Jutty

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2009, 07:14:37 pm »
Yeah I know I don't need to have it fully furnished, but I also don't want to feel like I'm living in some crack house either ya know. One of my friends told me about a discount place that had new couches and loveseats for like 100 bucks each so I'm gonna check that out.

teaflower

• Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • Dreams are the gateway to reality.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2009, 12:15:03 pm »
A few tips from someone who has moved multiple times?

1. Do not move during a storm. Especially an ice storm. Last year, we moved into our apartment, but a storm hit as the mover guys were taking the stuff down. We had to stay in a hotel.

2. Unless you like paying for a lot of cell phone minutes, get your phone and/or cable and/or internet hooked up as soon as you get your furniture in, maybe even during.

3. If the place is kind of messy, dig through the stuff. It's amazing what people will leave behind. But if you find something really important, make sure to call them.

4. If the place is really messy, take your business elsewhere.

5. Get to know your neighbors. If you know who's next door or down the hall or street or whatever, they'll probably be nice to you. Plus, it's good for socialization.

6. If you want to buy furniture, check out the cheaper places first. Like Bob's here in New England. It usually costs less, but has the same quality.

7. Movers can be expensive, but if you have a lot of boxes and other heavy stuff and not a lot of friends willing to help, go with movers. Don't want you to throw out your back now, eh?

8. Get pizza. Yes, this is required. Especially if you're getting someone to hook up internet/cable/phone or you have movers. They love pizza. May I suggest bacon?

That's all I have to say.