Author Topic: Fake Chrono Break rumor spreads  (Read 13629 times)

Daniel Krispin

Fake Chrono Break rumor spreads
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2005, 04:02:44 pm »
Quote from: Radical_Dreamer
As is Frog. I take it you are one of us superiors?

Actually, left-handed people are, if my memory does not fail me, historically considered to be sinister. Perhaps I'm wrong, but I seem to remember that the Latin for left-handed was the word from which we get sinister. I suppose they were so odd that they were not to be trusted.
There is something quite interesting about the concept of the left-handed swordsman, however. The fact that they are so much rarer leads to a mystique surrounding it, and at least in Chrono Trigger they appear to be portrayed as the more naturally skilled of blademasters. It would be an interesting concept to explore. The difference from the norm, I would think, aids in their being attributed extra-normal powers in swordskill. Almost like someone who is autistic is also often extremely intelligent in certain areas, someone who is left handed is attibuted with a reason or counterbalance to this seeming 'flaw'. More interesting, though: those who are ambidexterous, like Kid (and presumably Schala.)
Quote from:
There ya go, Guardian_of_Ages, looks like the Star Sword isn't a katana...What's up with that?

Aha! Although, I must admit, that's not quite how I pictured it... but... you know, that looks very much like an extremely ancient sword would look. Such an odd and seeming useless cross-guard, more of a circle than anything, looks more akin to the ancient Mycanean weaponry, if you've ever seen pictures of it. For an ancient kingdom such as Zeal, I suppose it's well fitting.

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2005, 08:07:49 pm »
Couldn't Crono and/or Frog also be ambidextrous? Or possibly they are ambidextrous but prefer one hand over the other? If I do recall correctly, in battle Crono could hold the sword either way depending on which direction he was facing...

Oh, and I think Radical_Dreamer was half-joking about the 'superior' thing...Personally, I'm pretty sure it all depends because if you're left handed it's supposed to be the right side of your brain which is dominant and the other way around if you're right handed...I forget which side is based on which mathmatical things or creative things...But whatever...Read a psychology book or something...:?

GreenGannon

• Squaretable Knight (+400)
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2005, 08:40:12 pm »
Right brain is logic, and Left Brain is creativity

saridon

• Mystical Knight (+700)
  • eater of cows and small fuzzy animals since 1991
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2005, 01:04:22 am »
i remember Link in legend of zelda holds his sword in his left hand

Radical_Dreamer

• Entity
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
    • The Chrono Compendium
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2005, 03:06:50 am »
Quote from: saridon
i remember Link in legend of zelda holds his sword in his left hand

Yup, that's because Miyamoto, who is a genius, is left handed. There are no coincidences involved.

GoA, sinister is indeed the conotation for the left handed, from the Mideival period. The hand shake, which originated at that period, was not a greeting of friendliness, but of paranoia. When shaking someone's hand, you'd slide your hand up their sleeve a bit to check for a knife. A left handed person would have the knife in the unchecked sleeve, and could pass the hand shake check and still pull a knife.

As for left handed swordsmen, they were better at attacking castles than defending them. This has nothing to do with any inheret abilities the left handed have, but due to architecture. Castles were designed with spiral staircases, with the wall being on the right side when going upstairs. Invading forces, if right handed, (and based on population statistics, a not outlandish assumption) couldn't properly swing their swords without hitting the wall, putting them at a massive disadvantage to the defending troops. Left handed people would not encounter this obstacle, and also tend to fare better than the right handed in hand-to-hand combat.* Of course, when it came time to defend the newly conquered castle, it was best to allow the right handed troops to do the work, because left handed defenders would be foiled by the wall, which would be on the left going downstairs.

*This is because the right handed grow accustomed to fighting or sparring with each other, so they are unprepared and confused by a left handed stance.

Chrono'99

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2005, 08:12:52 am »
IIRC Frog is left-handed on some artworks but right-handed on some others though, which is strange (perhaps he is really ambidextrous?)

SilentMartyr

• Magical Dreamer (+1250)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.chronotrigger.info
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2005, 02:32:21 pm »
Also Marle appears to be left handed, when she holds her crossbow the butt is on her left side. Usually when aiming the dominant side has the butt on that shoulder to take the force of the kickback.

Daniel Krispin

« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2005, 05:18:39 am »
They are the Seven, though... maybe quite a few of them had such gifts? I think that Janus, being a master warrior and sorcerer as he was could have been so, by training if not by nature. Frog might have had it naturally. Marle, perhaps as well, though with such weapons where one can store the energy, it's difficult to tell. Ayla as well is somewhat unclear: anyone know which way she stands, with which foot and hand forward in battle-stance? That might show it clearly, perhaps. Robo, I'd wager, is absolutely two-handed. But I'd not think it far-fetched that Crono is ambidexterous. After all, if you can use both equally, which would you use first? The one that throws the guard off the opponent and makes it more difficult for them to fight you, ie. the left. So maybe its just strategy that Crono fights with his left. Although that last little bit about not being used to the left-handed stance brings to mind the Princess Bride, for me... know what I mean?

As for the comment on the fortress building, now that you mention it, I've heard of the castle architecture as well, although I'd forgotten that.

Peaceman

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2005, 01:05:32 am »
Yeah, GoA, sinister-ris is Latin for left.  On a side note, dexter-ris is Latin for right...I wonder if Magus is a lefty...

Daniel Krispin

« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2005, 07:35:30 pm »
Quote from: CTcronoboy
Also Marle appears to be left handed, when she holds her crossbow the butt is on her left side. Usually when aiming the dominant side has the butt on that shoulder to take the force of the kickback.

Now THERE'S a subtle observation. Never would have noticed that. Anyone check on Ayla, yet?

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2005, 07:50:32 pm »
I think Ayla would be ambidextrous because her weapon is her fists, not just her fist, isn't it? Or wait...Well, I think it might be hard to say judging from pics because although they show her wielding a club, since her real weapon is her fists, she could be holding it in the hand that isn't dominant...

Leebot

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Black Wind Agent (+600)
    • View Profile
    • Infophilia
« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2005, 08:07:49 pm »
Actually, in the game, her weapon is just "Fist" (or the upgrades, "Bronze fist" and something else I forget).

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2005, 08:23:50 pm »
*Post 700 (take that stupid Pierre!)*

Oh that's right...I think I thought it was both because in her critical she uses both hands...I think...

Crono288

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2005, 10:26:20 am »
Quote from: saridon
lol he dosen't even have a katana now that is a major flaw

edit: found one http://www.rpgamer.com/games/chrono/break/propaganda/cbreak1.jpg

hi, i am new.  anyway, i saw that one a bit ago too.  so it is a fake right?

Zaperking

• Radical Dreamer (+2000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2005, 12:38:07 pm »
Quote from: Peaceman
Yeah, GoA, sinister-ris is Latin for left.  On a side note, dexter-ris is Latin for right...I wonder if Magus is a lefty...

Yes, he is a lefty. Waa :'( I'm guessing that the 7 were made this way on purpose.

Also I think I see an earring on this left ear, unless thats a very large hole in his ear loube..