Author Topic: Chrono Cross Backgrounds  (Read 21423 times)

Dark Serge

• Time Traveler (+800)
  • Now, let love bleed...
    • View Profile
Re: Chrono Cross Backgrounds
« Reply #105 on: April 13, 2009, 01:24:05 pm »
Yeah, that's it. Well then, I think it's finally complete now.  :)

iLiveWithBatman

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: September 02, 2018, 04:10:31 pm »
Hi,

(sorry to do a rather epic necro!)

So, theoretically, seeing as these backgrounds were ripped out successfuly, would it be possible to modify them and put them back in the game?

I've tried upscaling them via Let's Enhance (NN ai based upscale) and with some Photoshop tweaking, the result is pretty interesting. (might look quite a bit better than various filters in emulators)

Would the game even run with textures four times the resolution? Maybe an emulator would allow for this?

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: September 02, 2018, 10:55:55 pm »
For the record, iLiveWithBatman, thread necromancy is a-okay in these parts. We do not discourage it in the slightest.

:)

IHBP

• Architect of Kajar
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: September 03, 2018, 12:16:25 am »
Hi,

So, theoretically, seeing as these backgrounds were ripped out successfuly, would it be possible to modify them and put them back in the game?

I've tried upscaling them via Let's Enhance (NN ai based upscale) and with some Photoshop tweaking, the result is pretty interesting. (might look quite a bit better than various filters in emulators)

Would the game even run with textures four times the resolution? Maybe an emulator would allow for this?

Wow I'd love to see those.

iLiveWithBatman

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: September 03, 2018, 05:51:01 am »
OK, example time:

Here's the map, enlarged to 200% in PS, with the "best for enlargement" setting:

https://i.imgur.com/fjdjBCk.jpg

And here's the map enlarged with Let's Enhance (it's actually twice as large, I scaled it down to match the PS upscale. At full size you can actually see though that a lot of the detail is invented and at best looks like brush marks, at worst more like noise):

https://i.imgur.com/pLvblTm.jpg

This is done using the "magic" setting. There's also a "boring" one, but that seems to produce a smoother output, which could be combined with this to get rid of some of the graininess. By itself I find it too smooth and artificial looking though.

IHBP

• Architect of Kajar
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: September 03, 2018, 08:57:08 am »
Didn't notice much in the first one, but that second one looks amazing, great job

iLiveWithBatman

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: September 03, 2018, 11:35:00 am »
The first one was there just for comparison of how most upscaling filters work. (end up looking blurry)
The second one is the experiment. (and all credit goes to the authors of Let's Enhance)

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: September 03, 2018, 07:18:13 pm »
The Let's Enhance version is definitely the more attractive of the two options.

Kodokami

• Entity
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Enjoy the moment!
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: September 09, 2018, 01:18:25 pm »
Here's another upscale I found of someone who used a program called ESRGAN. It appears that it's built upon SRGAN, which Let's Enhance uses.

kolt54321

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: September 26, 2018, 01:31:56 am »
Hi,

I was thinking about this precisely a few months back. Waifu2x does the job very well (yes, Let's Enhance is pretty good too), and looks astoundingly real as long as you don't go too hard on the "oil painting" settings. It's meant for art as well, so no surprise it gives back excellent results in 4k. No photoshop needed.

However, there's moving parts in the map as well. Not sure how you would reanimate those.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2018, 01:38:36 am by kolt54321 »

Danetta

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Porrean (+50)
  • So where is it going?
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: October 22, 2018, 07:32:44 am »
Hi,

It's possible to put it back if it's the same resolution.
With the images that are larger than original you gotta have a bad time.

Short answer: it's not possible, unless you heavily modify the game code (that won't be nor PS1-runnable anymore, nor with any existing emulator).

Kodokami

• Entity
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Enjoy the moment!
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: March 26, 2020, 04:06:25 pm »
I was curious about this again.

So, modifying backgrounds and textures is not possible unless it's the same resolution, which defeats the purpose of wanting to upscale the originals. Does anyone know of a way around this, or of a way to play Chrono Cross with upscaled textures? I guess only with the features of a emulator?

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: May 14, 2020, 08:57:45 pm »
I saw these in the wild. Someone ran all Cross backgrounds through I think Topaz Gigapixel.

https://imgur.com/a/o17a5At

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: May 14, 2020, 09:04:44 pm »
Bekkler, do you know how HAPPY it makes me to see you active here? I've missed you, buddy. For real.

https://imgur.com/a/o17a5At

The fungus-y sheen of the Hydra Marsh giant trees looks even creepier in 4k.

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: May 14, 2020, 09:38:35 pm »
Bekkler, do you know how HAPPY it makes me to see you active here? I've missed you, buddy. For real.

I missed you too, man. This place will always be important to me whenever I'm here or not, but I'm trying to stick around.