Author Topic: My Thoughts on CTDS  (Read 6738 times)

Phillies64

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
Re: My Thoughts on CTDS
« Reply #30 on: April 16, 2009, 10:53:19 am »
Speaking as another guy who could fall under the nostalgia banner, I didn't mind the new translation. It was a bit too formal for my tastes in a couple of lines here and there, and the new terms 'Fiendlord' and 'Athenian Water', I wasn't a fan of. But that's really just nitpicking. The good outweighed the bad, I thought. I quite enjoyed some of the humourous stuff - originally censored / cut in the SNES version - that they worked back into it.

That's exactly how I feel about it. I missed some of the original stuff, and preferred Mystics to Fiends, but overall the good outweighed the bad. Basically I'm glad I played both versions.

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 16, 2009, 04:03:54 pm »
This may be the wrong topic for this question, but is it worth buying a ds just for CT:DS? I'm curious, because I don't have either and tax returns are coming soon and I'd really like a portable CT.

And if it's worth it, I have to decide on ds or dsi cause dsi doesn't do gba games anymore.  :xAnd the portable version of FF6 is gba, apparently. That is the game that got me into RPGs in the first place. I first played through it half and half with a friend and it was a real sense of accomplishment, beating that game. It's not like beating someone in a shooter, or Mario. Especially at that age (I was 8 or 9?) I'd never played anything that long before and had definitely never beaten an RPG. Afterward, that was when I was like, ok, what's next? And I owned Trigger before that but I didn't get very far until after I co-beat FF6. I want to see if it still has that epic feel to it.

I hope CT has a renewed sense of grandeur to it. Would you guys say it plays like a new game or would you say it's more of a faithful (and playable) port than the PSX version?

Okay, so that's more questions than I thought, but I tried to keep it on topic as much as possible. Whaddaya think?  :wink:

Also, if it's not too off-topic, what other ds games would you guys reccomend to a CT fan? May help sway the decision.

Zephira

• Bounty Hunter
  • Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • You're not afraid of the dark, are you?...Are you?
    • View Profile
    • My deviantArt page
« Reply #32 on: April 16, 2009, 04:27:12 pm »
CTDS is more like having an emulator in your hands. There are new dungeons, armor and weapons, it's been retranslated, and the graphics look a lot brighter than on your computer.
As for other games... Pokemon. Pokemon, Mario Kart and CT are all I play on my DS. Nintendo doesn't advertise very well, so I haven't found any other good games so far. Black Sigil might be good, that's supposed to come out in a month or so.

KebreI

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • A true man never dies, even when he's killed
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 16, 2009, 04:29:54 pm »
Get the DSI, in just a few months the security will be cracked so you could get a working R4(or it equivalent) so GBA games won't be a problem.

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 16, 2009, 05:17:32 pm »
CTDS is more like having an emulator in your hands. There are new dungeons, armor and weapons, it's been retranslated, and the graphics look a lot brighter than on your computer.
As for other games... Pokemon. Pokemon, Mario Kart and CT are all I play on my DS. Nintendo doesn't advertise very well, so I haven't found any other good games so far. Black Sigil might be good, that's supposed to come out in a month or so.

The old pokemon game was pretty addictive but I'm not sure I'd want a new one. Mario Kart would be awesome though, and I'll take a look at Black Sigil.

Are brighter graphics better graphics?  :D

Get the DSI, in just a few months the security will be cracked so you could get a working R4(or it equivalent) so GBA games won't be a problem.
Ah, modding? I have no experience with that kinda stuff but it'd be cool to figure out.

ZaichikArky

• Mystical Knight (+700)
    • View Profile
    • Livejournal
« Reply #35 on: April 16, 2009, 06:02:53 pm »
Nintendo doesn't advertise very well, so I haven't found any other good games so far.

Nintendo not advertising is not an excuse to not know about good games on the DS. There are only some games that are advertised on each sytem, most of them crap really. I don't want to play that WWII game that keeps being advertised for the X Box. Actually the only good game I saw advertised lately was Professor Layton for the DS, and I was really surprised about that. I really love my DS and I have a ton of games on it... actually a month ago I spent 100 dollars on games for just it and there is still more that I want! You should check out game faqs, IGN, One Up, and other game sites to learn about the good games on the system of your choice.

As for games I recommend... if you're looking for a unique RPG experience, I highly recommend "The World Ends With You". It gets slightly repetitive sometimes, but it's a very well made game with a great sound track, great story, and highly innovative battle mode. A good chunk of DS games are remakes of old games, like CT, and in that category, the latest best remake is Definitely Kirby Super Star Ultra. They really did a good job with that one. My only complaint is that it is very difficult to get a good percentage in it. Also, if you like puzzle games, Professor Layton and the Curious Village is a great one, albeit VERY HARD... at least for me >_>. I beat it, but I was very BAD at it and had to use hint coins all the time. Anyway, there is a lot out there so you shouldn't be afraid to look.

I probably won't be getting the DSI only because the battery life on it is complete crap. I mean, for the DS it's kind of annoying and I keep my brightness down, but it's much worse for the DSI because I guess the battery will be smaller. Although it does have interesting features such as extended wifi services, a "webcam", etc, it's all kind of too flashy for me and I'm ok with my DS Lite. And as for the R4, there are certain games that won't work with the cards, that's the only problem with them. Otherwise, I should pick one up so I don't spend a ton of money on games again >_>.

Samopoznanie

• Enlightened One (+200)
  • Playing Upon the Strings of Emptiness
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 16, 2009, 06:55:21 pm »
This may be the wrong topic for this question, but is it worth buying a ds just for CT:DS? I'm curious, because I don't have either and tax returns are coming soon and I'd really like a portable CT.

And if it's worth it, I have to decide on ds or dsi cause dsi doesn't do gba games anymore.  :xAnd the portable version of FF6 is gba, apparently.
These were exactly the reasons I bought a DS Lite. I was so out of the loop, I didn't know about DSI at the time, so the fact that FFVI would work on my system as well was a great surprise when I first found out. I haven't gone to the trouble of tracking a copy down yet, but think I'll grab it over the summer for sure. My experience with FFVI was much the same as yours, growing up. I'd have to 'co-beat' it with my sister. One of my friends owned FFVI, while I had CT. Good times...

One thing that impressed with DS was the battery-life, compared to the other portables I've owned. I thought portable CT packed as many extras as could be thought reasonable. It is DEFINITELY more playable and worth your time than the PSX port, with its horrible load times. I'm not sure I even played through that edition. A new boss, a new ending, tweaked dialogue, a few neat little things like enemy / monster stats, the list of techs / endings... It isn't a whole lot that's new, but as much as was reasonable to expect, I think. You couldn't throw in too much without changing the original game.

So I would say it's worth your time and dollar. I don't do much gaming these days and I've already gone through it three times over. And bought a great version of Tetris along with Zelda. There's a good mix of nostalgia games and newer, quirky stuff.

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #37 on: April 16, 2009, 08:15:20 pm »
CTDS is just the cherry on top of the You Should Get a DS sundae...There are some great DS games and plenty on the way...The Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney games are great. Don't put off giving them a try. The Castlevanias continue their tradition of epicness, especially the new one Order of Ecclesia. Dragon Quest IV & V are out with VI & IX coming along the way (V is often lauded as the best of the series and IV was the best 8-Bit RPG...VI never had a English translation)...If you didn't get a chance to play either PS2 or PSP versions, Disgaea is a SRPG must...Etrian Odyssey is a great dungeon crawler kind of RPG with a good amount of customization that brings to mind a lot of oldschool games while still feeling fresh. FFIII & FFIV are well worth the price of admission (neither have looked so good). Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon is the first time the first of the series has made it past Japan's shores and it's more of the same FE gameplay diehard SRPG fans have grown to love. I'll back Kirby Super Star Ultra as well if you haven't played the previous version on SNES or just love that simple but fun Kirby gameplay. Resident Evil: Deadly Silence for if you haven't played any previous version of the first RE. Trauma Center: Under the Knife is a game that really shows off the abilities of the touch screen and is really just oddly fun.

Games I want but haven't played or aren't out yet include Tales of Hearts, Suikoden Tierkreis, Valkyrie Profile: Covenant of the Plume, Phantasy Star 0, Sands of Destruction (new Kato & Mitsuda game), Knights In the Nightmare (4th game of Dept. Heaven series...Riviera & Yggdra Union) & probably more I can't think of right now...

And, no, this really wasn't the place to ask...lol

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 17, 2009, 12:05:35 am »
And, no, this really wasn't the place to ask...lol

But I got a lot of awesome suggestions from it, so it was worth the risk!  :lol:

Merged Double Post:
But I bought the DS lite, Fire Emblem for GBA, New Super Mario Bros and of course, Chrono Trigger. Waiting for the DS's initial charge so I can start crunching levels and killin lavoses on the go!

Then I will bring this thread full circle, with my thoughts on CT DS. In fact: My current thoughts are "Cool, a new version of that old poster!" and "That box it comes in is pretty."  Updates as they come.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2009, 04:37:33 am by Mr Bekkler »

RedNeckJiuJitsu

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 22, 2009, 02:44:09 am »
3 day lag time double post??

I debated on getting a DS, and then when I was looking at games on eBay and saw a new version of CT, that pretty much sealed it for me. Got a nice DSL. Unfortunately, I'm waiting for another copy of CTDS, as the first one I got was a cheap China ripoff that corrupted save files. But eBay got me my money back, so I'm not too irritated. Before the save files become completely f*ed up, I was able to play a decent bit and got to right before Tyranno Lair (love the DS sleep mode). I thought the arena was pretty cool, kinda like a CT themed pokemon.

Other DS games I have: Tetris, Ninja Gaiden, and Star Wars: The Force Unleashed. Tetris is good if you like other versions of it. There's some new game types that add to playability. Ninja Gaiden, I haven't gotten too far into, but it's similar in graphics to the Xbox version (NG, not NG2), but slightly dumbed down for the DS. Controls, almost entirely through the touchpad, are kinda difficult to get. Force Unleashed is very straight forward and lacking in challenge (you can't walk off ledges; many battled can be won by just spamming the lightsabre button). If your a Star Wars fan, I'd go for the game on another system.

I've also got a DSTT card coming so I can use my DS with homebrew organizer apps and such.

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 22, 2009, 03:26:54 am »
If you're a Star Wars fan you're probably better suited for Lego Star Wars: The Complete Trilogy...y'know, if you don't have it on another system, that is...

And, yeah, double posting is usually fairly overlooked here unless it's only like minutes apart...Though really even then you should try to use the Edit button because the thread'll be marked as new I think...

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 22, 2009, 04:48:23 am »
Good idea. I'll do so in the future.

And I'm loving PCT (Portable Chrono Trigger  :) ). I haven't tried the arena yet, precisely because the idea reminds me so much of pokemon and in my mind I'd like to keep the two franchises as separate as possible.

But the game's still great, the load times are undetectable and the videos are integrated beautifully. With the smaller screen, the sprite animations even look better for some reason, and I love the way the menus are all on the other screen so you get to soak in that visual CT flavor as much as possible. The touch screen implementation on the menu system feels incredibly natural, but the battle system could have a smoother layout, as it takes longer to just have everyone attack (or magic or use items) than just to mash A with a memorized amount of  downs on the d pad (I play on active and that time counts sometimes!) I like the period speech, each time has it's own feel and it's pretty consistent. The new translation is like the SNES script and the Compendium one had a baby with a professional editor doing the delivery.

FULL CIRCLE BABY!

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 22, 2009, 06:32:13 am »
The Arena is really nothing like Pokemon besides the idea that you're raising a monster...and you're only going to benefit at all from it if you do it early...Well, except for being able to get Tabs...Tabs are always useful.

As for the time in battle...I'm pretty sure you can set it up to be on Memory so that your most used actions in battle will be right there each turn & even whenever you enter a new battle...That's what you're supposed to really make use of if you're going Active over Wait...

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 22, 2009, 01:10:38 pm »
As for the time in battle...I'm pretty sure you can set it up to be on Memory so that your most used actions in battle will be right there each turn & even whenever you enter a new battle...That's what you're supposed to really make use of if you're going Active over Wait...

And I do take advantage of that, but it doesn't really help the touchscreen buttons. My beef is mostly with after you pick what you want to do (attack/magic/item), the list of monsters (or characters) to do it to is like a four corners thing, when the original was like a vertical list. Also, the monster selection buttons are smaller and slightly moved away from the attack/magic selection buttons. I would have liked it to be a bit more intuitive for quick touching, is all.

Really that's the only problem I've had so far, I think. And I only notice it because you battle so often, but I level up a ton before going anywhere new (not into speedrunning RPGs) so I battle a whole lot.

RedNeckJiuJitsu

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 22, 2009, 08:40:14 pm »

And I do take advantage of that, but it doesn't really help the touchscreen buttons. My beef is mostly with after you pick what you want to do (attack/magic/item), the list of monsters (or characters) to do it to is like a four corners thing, when the original was like a vertical list. Also, the monster selection buttons are smaller and slightly moved away from the attack/magic selection buttons. I would have liked it to be a bit more intuitive for quick touching, is all.

Really that's the only problem I've had so far, I think. And I only notice it because you battle so often, but I level up a ton before going anywhere new (not into speedrunning RPGs) so I battle a whole lot.

I play on Wait, without menu memory, just because I like to be able to take my time. Like you, I have a tendency, of getting at least a couple levels ahead of where I need to be. Then in most normal monster battles, I just spam the A button and have everybody regular attack. I do like using the touchscreen to get to menu options faster, and just as a different option for choosing attacks and what monster to attack...